Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

New AY ticket types from 31MAR20 . should we be worried ?

New AY ticket types from 31MAR20 . should we be worried ?

Old Feb 28, 20, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by kauppias View Post
really this should be done. unfortunately it would be fruitless if the crews recognize them.... boss undercover style would be a wakeup call for them... secret shoppers...
This is the main issue when they fly AY Even off-duty staff on stand-by ID90-tickets are sometimes given a lot of attention and special service.
Flying the competition 2-4 times/year though would give them a very good frame of reference.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Feb 28, 20, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by intuition View Post
Someone asked that at a loyalty meeting, and they said "we like to, but we are not allowed to fly anything else than AY!"
That was me asking and was shocked by the answer - they have no idea/first hand experience about the competition?
ffay005 and intuition like this.
Old Feb 28, 20, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Elsewhere in internet

WE ARE SERVING FINNAIR CORPORATE CUSTOMERS. DO WE NEED TO INFORM THEM ABOUT THIS CHANGE?

No, Finnairís corporate customers will be contacted by Finnair directly.

More information will be available here in Easy during week 13 (starting 23rd March), including exciting new ticket type products, the benefits of the new ticket types and detailed guidelines of the change for travel agents.
So apparently changes are published just week before change? Anyways, apparently even if industrial negotiations, strikes and corona virus are hurting finnair's earnings and bottom line hard, they can still fool around with customers?
intuition likes this.
Old Feb 28, 20, 6:50 am
UNC

Programs: AY+
Someone asked that at a loyalty meeting, and they said "we like to, but we are not allowed to fly anything else than AY!"
I have reason to believe that this statement is not entirely accurate.

Also, I'd like to believe that a lot of the pessimism in this thread is unwarranted. I would first wait and see how the earnings will change. Who knows, maybe even increased earnings for certain ticket types? We'll see..

Edit: My earnings for the past year consist almost entirely of TATL I-class. While I would like to see them remain at 200%, I also understand why they would be slashed. For example, my usual RDU-LHR-HEL is often around 1200 USD in economy, and around twice as much in J (I). The earnings on the other hand are quadruple when flying business..
lkrt likes this.

Last edited by UNC; Feb 28, 20 at 7:05 am
Old Feb 28, 20, 6:54 am

Programs: AF Platinum Ultimate/SK EBD/baEC G/MR tit/A3 *G/RR G/HH D/IHG Spire/ay platinum Lumo
perhaps they will raise the Lumo bonus to +35% 😁
Old Feb 28, 20, 6:59 am

Programs: AY+ Lumo (OWE), Accor Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by UNC View Post
Also, I'd like to believe that a lot of the pessimism in this thread is unwarranted. I would first wait and see how the earnings will change. Who knows, maybe even increased earnings for certain ticket types? We'll see..
I agree. While my hopes arenít definitely up for better earnings, I really donít want to grieve for lost earnings either before they actually are announced.
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Feb 28, 20, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY GUEST
And lets see is there any PE coming.
intuition likes this.
Old Feb 28, 20, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black

I agree on your last sentences.

But what do you mean by the first?
This is my recollection of the answer given and the person putting the question to them seem to agree (post77) . So either you think we are remembering this incorrectly or you have reason to believe they lied/did not tell us the whole picture at that meeting?
Old Feb 28, 20, 7:02 am

Programs: AF Platinum Ultimate/SK EBD/baEC G/MR tit/A3 *G/RR G/HH D/IHG Spire/ay platinum Lumo

I have learned to be very pessimistic with airlines over the last few years 😂😂 Pessimisti ei pety 😁
Old Feb 28, 20, 7:10 am
UNC

Programs: AY+
I agree on your last sentences.

But what do you mean by the first?
This is my recollection of the answer given and the person putting the question to them seem to agree (post77) . So either you think we are remembering this incorrectly or you have reason to believe they lied/did not tell us the whole picture at that meeting?
I was implying that AY employees are not restricted to flying AY only for duty. Of course it is their preferred choice, but other carriers can also be used if needed. I know of an AY employee who (very recently) flew on a competitor for a duty trip.
Old Feb 28, 20, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK!

You are probably right. But at that time and for those present at that meeting, the take-away was that loyalty people flew very rarely and only on AY.
Old Feb 28, 20, 7:32 am

Well, I guess we just have to wait and see.
There is a possibility we won't get any major changes. Maybe just some re-branding on ticket types, or new names for current products. Maybe some cosmetical changes. Another layer of lipstick on the pig.
Do we have any evidence for points earnings are to decrease or is it just assumptions?
​​​​​​
ffay005, Fims and esledo like this.
Old Feb 28, 20, 8:32 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by OH-LGG View Post
And lets see is there any PE coming.
Introducing PE is a logistical nightmare because they already have four different configurations. For an extended period of time, that would grow to six, or even eight, and would restrict rotations quite a bit. OTOH, now would be a good time to convert planes as they have spares. I'm looking forward to PE, although in terms of points earnings, it's probably more bad than good.
kauppias likes this.
Old Feb 28, 20, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Well, having been in the FFP game for quite a while, I've learned that the old saying is true - "What do you call a pessimist? A realist"
FFlash likes this.
Old Feb 28, 20, 10:57 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo+LTG, FI Gold, DL Silver, BA, SK, AX Plat, Priority Pass, Marriott Ambassador & others
Yes, but this is what is so confusing.
If you already are allowed to buy Finnair J tickets, then Finnair has your business. Why then offer those customers a poorer, presumably cheaper version, moving all of those bound by "cheapest" policy down one notch in terms of revenue?

You are right that opening up a J-minus will not cause them to lose all western corp J-travellers, but they will get less revenue from those who stay but are bound by cheapest fare.

With a LT gold secured and a LT plat out of reach crediting elsewhere could certainly be a better option if AY+ deteriorates.
I donít think I said anything about J-minus being any cheaper than it is today. My point is that I cannot choose to spend one euro extra for the next class up as the system will not let me. Thus if I donít like the offering, the recourse is to ĒadjustĒ flight timing and end up with another alternative.

Search this Thread