Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

New AY ticket types from 31MAR20 . should we be worried ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New AY ticket types from 31MAR20 . should we be worried ?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2020, 1:51 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Paid seat selection for Light and Classic business? Why learn the worst from BA?
Just two words: ancillary revenue

But as I guess they gonna waive this for at least Plat & Lumos, this could be an improvement
Old Mar 28, 2020, 1:52 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Deleted
Old Mar 28, 2020, 2:00 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Paid seat selection for Light and Classic business? Why learn the worst from BA?
Because BA has stuck to it, implying that it actually works? I have neither the money to fly business, nor the job grade to be flown business, so maybe I just don't understand the mindset.

I'd think that most business class trips are on company dime, and the company travel policy probably does not care about ASR. As for wealthy tourists, they'll probably buy during sales and/or for the schedule, not the ASR. Maybe the airline can squeeze more money from the ancillary revenue than it loses to the competition?

Especially if LH and AF-KL end up following BA (or already have, I don't follow that market segment).

Also, as others pointed out, if ASR remains free for frequent flyers, it won't be a problem for loyal customers.
Antx likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Using the same argument why not make ALL seat selection payable - works for Ryanair & co

BA might have big enough captive home market to get away with it, I wonder if AY does. Here's my mindset - "AY already have daylight robbery prices ex-HEL, now they even want MORE for the same? I pay xxxx€ and still have to pay if I want to sit with/without my SO? Quick, what was QR's phone number again?"
Ed Size likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 2:22 am

Programs: AY Gold
Maybe they are responding to what has been requested here multiple times in the past - differentiation for elites flying solely in J. With this, those elites now get a useful differentiating perk, which is choosing their favourite seat before checkin. This could also help in landing your favourite seat only days before the departure (yeah, right).

And if someone non-elite really wants to pay extra for ASR, AY gets more ancillary sales. Win win from two perspectives.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 2:37 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by Antx
Maybe they are responding to what has been requested here multiple times in the past - differentiation for elites flying solely in J. With this, those elites now get a useful differentiating perk, which is choosing their favourite seat before checkin. This could also help in landing your favourite seat only days before the departure (yeah, right).

And if someone non-elite really wants to pay extra for ASR, AY gets more ancillary sales. Win win from two perspectives.

WIN WIN? Really? Elites pay now the same and get 150% vs 200% and either NO luggage or less luggage 😁😆 I see NO WIN in that situation for the elite. better seat selection perhaps but I for one would rather have the points And luggage 😁😁😂

seems to only be on the EU-Asia routes for now but I am sure it will seep in elswhere soon enough 😆

now had the offered this on european trips at a lower cost like LH does that could have been useful... but in this very
limited offering I see very little if any positive spin...
Ed Size likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by kauppias
WIN WIN? Really? Elites pay now the same and get 150% vs 200% and either NO luggage or less luggage 😁😆 I see NO WIN in that situation for the elite.
Understandably my intended sarcasm was difficult to convey in written text. I was previously told here that only the top paying elites should be cared for in a loyalty program, so I guess the true elites are obviously willing to pay for this too. I personally hate this (as I fly Y for business and just started focusing on flying J for leisure), especially because of the lost earnings, but also because of the idea of “differentiating elites” by giving the stick to others.
kauppias likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 2:51 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
We are 3 days from new ticket types sale start and nothing official out from AY.

Excellent communication.
I'm guessing this is postponed due to the current situation. As they haven't told customers anything about new ticket types on 31 March, I think they can easily keep selling Light/Value/Pro for the time being as if nothing was scheduled to happen. We will see on Tuesday!
Ed Size likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
You overestimate AY - on past performance they can just silently launch it on the website without telling anyone.
esledo, FlyeBye and Antx like this.

Last edited by WilcoRoger; Mar 28, 2020 at 8:21 am Reason: Typo
Old Mar 28, 2020, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by Courmisch
Business mileage runners are actually the losers here, not because of the bag allowance, but because of the cut in earnings. But it's probably a tiny fraction of the market.
REAL business mileage runners buy naturally 250% Business Flex -tickets.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 4:54 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
REAL business mileage runners buy naturally 250% Business Flex -tickets.
IF I end up staying with AY which is a BIG OF should they introduce these changes then I will be buying Y tickets from here on end over Biz light fares... 100% vs 150% is just not worth 200-250% of the the fare difference IMO

the danger here is also that will J upgrades book into regular or light J tickets or will it depend on the underflying fare as well...
Old Mar 28, 2020, 4:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by lkrt
I'm guessing this is postponed due to the current situation.
After 9/11 AY was counting salt and pepper and toothpicks even in C class and now we are in the middle of major crisis in airline business so if this renovation was planned to increase income money by ancillary sales, AY should execute this immediately.

Huge cuts and savings are just coming.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 4:58 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by Ed Size
So I just wonder who gonna buy this business light tickets, specially the leisure traveler going to Asia need luggage - this only fit for business travelers going to Asia for a couple of days or mileage runners.
Everyone who doesn't need flexibility and has Gold/Plat. For me, the only difference is 150 % points vs 200 %. I hardly ever check luggage (and if I want to check a bag, I'll have +1 because of Plat). And seat assignments are presumably still free for Plat.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 5:01 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by Ed Size
Just two words: ancillary revenue

But as I guess they gonna waive this for at least Plat & Lumos, this could be an improvement
They only did this so that intuition couldn't argue that Plats who fly business don't have any benefits from their status.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by kauppias
the danger here is also that will J upgrades book into regular or light J tickets or will it depend on the underflying fare as well...
I think it would be safe to guess that they won't change the current upgrade rules (at least before PE), i.e. earnings based on original booking class / ticket type and +1 bag to original allowance. Seat selection... likely for a fee / based on status. Just based on the fact that no information exists on changes to these.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.