Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Business Class Return Ticket - Is return leg refundable after flying outbound?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2020, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold

Never flown Finnair but about to try. Am looking to buy a round trip Business Class return and the fare rules say for both legs that I can cancel before OR AFTER departure. Does this mean if I fly the outbound leg but for some reason do not fly the return leg I can get a refund for that return leg presumably so long as I cancel before the date of the return leg? The reason is that at the moment I definitely need to fly the outbound leg but not sure about my return plans and the difference in pricing for the outbound flight between a one way and return flight is several hundreds of pounds - so why can't I buy the return flight and if I don;t need the return portion just cancel that for a refund - or will they reprice the outbound flight as a result?

Thanks
Old Feb 24, 2020, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Depends really on the exact fare rules.

Worst case scenario, you're a no-show for the return leg. Still saved €€€€ vs the one-way option.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 7:20 am

Programs: AY+ Gold (OWS)
My understanding (but I must admit I'm not sure) is that cancelling the inbound will lead to a repricing of the outbound. If the repriced one-way fare is higher than what you paid for the roundtrip fare, you will not be paid a refund. As WilcoRoger said, you can't really lose by trying.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 7:21 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
It is possible that if you cancel the return, they will reprice the itinerary and end up "refunding" zero, as one ways on AY can be more expensive than returns.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 7:58 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
I once used the ”refund of last unused segment” and to my diasppointment it was much lower than 1/4 of the 4-legs itinenary. It was long ago and dont recall the details but I remember suspecting them calculating to their favor. Go figure
Old Feb 24, 2020, 8:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
With a discounted business ticket, the refundable part of the return ticket is likely to be very low.
NoWindowSeat likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
With a discounted business ticket, the refundable part of the return ticket is likely to be very low.
Thanks. So to be more precise the one way fare is £870 with the return fare being £1,200. However the return fare is priced outbound £650 and return £450. So its still cheaper for me to buy the one way fare if I don't think I will use the return portion UNLESS the refund for the return will actually be £450.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 10:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Waggy
Thanks. So to be more precise the one way fare is £870 with the return fare being £1,200. However the return fare is priced outbound £650 and return £450. So its still cheaper for me to buy the one way fare if I don't think I will use the return portion UNLESS the refund for the return will actually be £450.
It almost certainly won’t be, but you’d have to read the fare rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.