Search

OWE with 7.5 Hour Layover in HEL

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2020, 6:23 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA: CK
Question OWE with 7.5 Hour Layover in HEL

Hello. Transiting HEL JFK-HEL-NRT. HEL-NRT is JL metal, AY code. I am OWEx2 (BA Gold and AA CK). My layover is 7.5 hours (~10:00-17:30). Do I have access to the Finnair Platinum Wing, even tough my onward flight is JL metal? Is it better than the J lounge? With 7.5 hours, would you suggest I go to the city instead? And if I do go to the city, can I leave my luggage in the lounge before clearing into Finland (UK citizen)?

Thanks!
-BlooJoo
Old Feb 24, 2020, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
7,5 hrs - definitely head downtown.

No matter how good the PlatWing is (and it's good and better than the J lounge), it's still an airport lounge. The train from under the airport is something takes 25 minutes, costs 4,10€ oneway, runs every 10 minutes. (you might take either direction, the P train (clockwise) is 2 minutes faster than the I train (counter clockwise)
NoWindowSeat and Cupart like this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 6:31 am

Programs: AY Platinum/OWE
As OWE you will have platinum wing access as you are on a oneworld carrier (JL).
Old Feb 24, 2020, 6:40 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks! Can I leave my luggage in the Plat Wing before venturing into the city? Or will I not have access on arrival from JFK? I'm in J, by the way. Not sure it matters.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 7:25 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I would do as follows:

On arrival from JFK, you will step straight into the gate area. Go to PW lounge. Use the self-service lockers to store your carry-on. Have breakfast.

Then walk to immigration, take the train to Helsinki and enjoy the city.

2-2.5 hours before departure, take the train back to the airport, have a quick bite at the PW and off you go.
SPBanker likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 7:29 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ffay005
I would do as follows:

On arrival from JFK, you will step straight into the gate area. Go to PW lounge. Use the self-service lockers to store your carry-on. Have breakfast.

Then walk to immigration, take the train to Helsinki and enjoy the city.

2-2.5 hours before departure, take the train back to the airport, have a quick bite at the PW and off you go.
Seems like a good plan!
Old Feb 24, 2020, 8:27 am

Programs: AY Platinum,Marriott Gold,HH Diamond,Sixt Platinum,Hertz PC,AMEX Platinum
Maybe even visit the sauna in PlatinumWing.
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 8:29 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by miikka
Just make sure to wear a towel, but it's nor required when fetching beer from the lounge.
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 8:29 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Is it hot enough?
Old Feb 24, 2020, 8:40 am

Programs: AY Platinum,Marriott Gold,HH Diamond,Sixt Platinum,Hertz PC,AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by BlooJoo
Is it hot enough?
There are reports to both directions (hot, not enough) and varies between people - last time I was there, it was okay for my preference.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 8:55 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
There are reports to both directions (hot, not enough) and varies between people - last time I was there, it was okay for my preference.
I’d say it’s an OK electric sauna and as far as airport lounges are concerned, the best in the world by a healthy margin😁

For sauna enthusiastics a must when extra time at hand in PW. JFK-HEL is very poor for sleeping for many so after a quick visit to town followed by sauna and PW you’ll most likely sleep all the way to Japan and have good start there with minimum jetlag.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 9:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by BlooJoo
Hello. Transiting HEL JFK-HEL-NRT. HEL-NRT is JL metal, AY code. I am OWEx2 (BA Gold and AA CK). My layover is 7.5 hours (~10:00-17:30). Do I have access to the Finnair Platinum Wing, even tough my onward flight is JL metal? Is it better than the J lounge? With 7.5 hours, would you suggest I go to the city instead? And if I do go to the city, can I leave my luggage in the lounge before clearing into Finland (UK citizen)?

Thanks!
-BlooJoo
Sup bud. All OWE have access to the Platinum Wing. JL is a OW partner so no problem as long as you're on a OW itin, which you are. The Plat Wing is WAY better than the business lounge, but with that long a layover maybe pop into the city for a bit.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 10:15 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thank you, JetSet!
Old Feb 24, 2020, 11:08 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I thought it's always hot in hel.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 11:50 am

Programs: AY+ Gold (OWS)
Originally Posted by dav662
I thought it's always hot in hel.
This winter HEL did not freeze over, that's for sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.