Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Baggage handlers’ overtime ban at HEL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage handlers’ overtime ban at HEL

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2020, 8:05 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
I sent feedback for my 2 cases. Just got answer where they apologize and complain about the overtime ban of handlers and all that nonsense about sun and moon and finally deposited me 60€ for inconvenience! I did not ask any compensation!

Appreciated​​​​​, but ​​I would respect more an honest answer how they respect customer with comms and fix the miscomms so it never happens anymore!
Old Feb 26, 2020, 7:32 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
I arrived today at HEL and was told that probably no bags will be delivered. Then the supervisor came and asked everyone to wait for some time for their bags if they matybe could be delivered. When I whispered to her that I’m Lumo she told me to go home right away and said that they would totally deliver the bags as soon as possible.

Hoping that the bags will arrive in due course!
kauppias, ffay005 and SPBanker like this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 8:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Blue
And I'm currently stuck on AY161 to SGN, waiting on board at the gate. An hour ago it was announced that baggage handlers were "on strike" and no bags have been loaded. No ETA either. Oh well....
Old Feb 26, 2020, 8:29 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Apparently ground personnel gang has walked out. A friend is stuck at a remote stand for now one hour because no one will bring stairs and a bus
FFlash and kauppias like this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 9:06 am

What is happening??
Ground personnel or corona related?
Edit.
Swissport personnel seems to be the only reason for the delays.
Recently infected Milano visitor doesn't seem to be related to HEL delays.

Last edited by seldomrfly; Feb 26, 2020 at 9:22 am
Old Feb 26, 2020, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by seldomrfly
What is happening??
Ground personnel or corona related?
No news on whether this is just continuation of the disagreement on the collective agreement or something else, but apparently Swissport ground handling personel at HEL did quit working little before 3 pm without any prior warning. The employer side has already commented that this sort of industrial action is illegal as there should have been strike announcement at least two weeks earlier.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
https://www.finavia.fi/fi/uutishuone...-lentoasemalla

https://www.finnair.com/fi/gb/flightinfo

I dare not checkin luggage over the weekend, as I have an 8 days hectic itinerary, so if the luggage doesn't make it to the first destination, it'll never catch up with me. Bummer.

Last edited by WilcoRoger; Feb 26, 2020 at 10:10 am
Old Feb 26, 2020, 10:21 am

Programs: HappinesSMiles Silver
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
I dare not checkin luggage over the weekend, as I have an 8 days hectic itinerary, so if the luggage doesn't make it to the first destination, it'll never catch up with me. Bummer.
I'm flying out tomorrow and should do the laundry tonight. Thinking of checking in at last minute some random box to enter the raffle for compensated fresh underwear.
ffay005 and jj_lgkr like this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 10:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Blue
Judging by the fact I saw just 2 containers loaded on to our flight, I'm guessing it's going to be a lottery
Old Feb 26, 2020, 10:25 am

Programs: AY
Just boarding on AY956 CPH-HEL. We are approx 2h late from original schedule. Interesting to see how to get out from plane at HEL if ground crew has walked out..
Old Feb 26, 2020, 10:36 am

Programs: AY Platinum (Lifetime Gold), HH Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Flying to AMS on AY1305 right now about two hours delayed and all checked in luggage left in HEL.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by KurdtC
Just boarding on AY956 CPH-HEL. We are approx 2h late from original schedule. Interesting to see how to get out from plane at HEL if ground crew has walked out..
I believe it is just members of Ilmailualan unioni (Aviation Industry Union) that have taken this industrial action and there is few people who are not members of this union (at least the management) and possibly even few dissenting "strikebreakers" that can step in, so that at least some of the work can be done, although obviously the shortage in workforce will show. It might be also possible that Swissport could get little help from other ground handling operators at HEL. I would assume getting arriving pax out of the airplanes is among the top priorities.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 5:42 am

Programs: LuxExpress VIP
I can remember a humorous story involving ground staff like this. In an unnamed airport and involving an unnamed airline.

The local union had decided, that whenever there was a lightning warning, all work outdoors must be stopped.
At that moment, the sun was shining with not one cloud in sight.
The aircraft involved was rather small and had a light load, so eventually the aircraft was loaded by the flight crew
ffay005 likes this.

Last edited by vanaema78; Feb 27, 2020 at 9:57 am
Old Feb 27, 2020, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I flew AA to somewhere, can't remember anymore, and the captain himself went on the tarmac to throw the bags into the hold because ground handlers refused to work. And off we went.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.