Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair China travel waivers??

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2020, 1:17 pm

Programs: AY Gold
Originally Posted by FFlash
There are also health authorities reports that say the corona is not really critically worse than the seasons flu every year here. some even claim it is just similar. Corona overestimated then? I am not a doctor...
At the moment the symptoms sound a lot like an influenza, common flu is a different thing. An ordinary influenza kills 500-1000/year in Finland alone, mainly elderly people. It's still not known for sure how the new corona virus behaves and how the epidemia develops. One thing seems to be clear, it mostly hit older people.

Let se how Finnair reacts, usually AY is not the first airline cutting services in similar situations.

Last edited by Andaman; Jan 29, 2020 at 4:21 pm
Old Jan 29, 2020, 2:05 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by cantongirl
Thanks. I am searching potential alyernative flight at the moment on same day just in case. Anyone knows this type of cancellation could be for EC261?
If you are scheduled to fly more than two weeks out, then no EC261 compensation.

Overall, AY is quite strict when it comes to EC261, especially if you don't have status with them.
cantongirl likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 7:29 pm

Programs: AY
Boarding the AY98 now, around 15 in J and 100 in Y. Everbody face masked. 21 row full of baby(srsly!) so we moved to second and third row, with both entire rows own by ourselves. just grateful to be able to fly back HEL before route suspended. (probably the last one from AY CAN under current circumstances.

Edit: when boarding flight attendants face masked but after take off they all off masks til the end😅
Steve_Hun likes this.

Last edited by cantongirl; Jan 30, 2020 at 6:39 am
Old Jan 30, 2020, 1:51 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
That load still outnumbers what used to be an ordinary load on CKG flights in low season (and they kept that route alive for 5 years...)
Old Jan 30, 2020, 2:43 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
Article in Finnish, but according to it, AY has stopped taking reservations for any mainland China flights.

Finnair ei ota enää uusia varauksia Manner-Kiinan lentoihin
Old Jan 30, 2020, 3:16 am

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE)
I can confirm that. Talked with AY chat and he said the same.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 5:41 am

Programs: Drawer of Cards
Originally Posted by intuition
That load still outnumbers what used to be an ordinary load on CKG flights in low season (and they kept that route alive for 5 years...)
still dont understand why AY opened CKG. such unusual location. i'd prefer Wuhan, but oooopssss
Old Jan 30, 2020, 6:58 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Presence of Nordic industry? (Volvo at the time, Ikea, ...)
Ambitions of local party hot-shots?
AY failure at the time to keep the promise of one new LH destination each year?
Subsidies that made the choice easier?
Old Jan 30, 2020, 7:53 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze; HHonors; ClubCarlson
I have non-refundable tickets travelling Helsinki to Beijing mid May. I phoned Finnair to inquire what portion of the taxes would be refunded if I cancelled now, being aware that they are only issuing refunds at present for flights booked to end of February. My tickets itemise that only Ł97 out of Ł467 is the flight cost but Finnair said only Ł70 could be refunded so it's obviously not worth my cancelling at the present time. If the situation doesn't improve by April, no doubt I will be able to obtain a full refund then. What I don't want is to find that flights resume but that all tourists attractions etc remain closed which would make it pointless going there and I would then lose most of the ticket price by cancelling.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 2:06 pm

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
Originally Posted by FFlash
There are also health authorities reports that say the corona is not really critically worse than the seasons flu every year here. some even claim it is just similar. Corona overestimated then? I am not a doctor...
The problem with coronavirus is that its transmissible before symptoms appear. This is unique to this coronavirus and different to SARS or MERS (and even common influenza). That´s the main big concern. The actual disease has better prognosis than SARS, MERS and common influenza.
Clydez likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 1:55 am

Programs: Drawer of Cards
there is certainly political reason in play like you mentioned local authorities hot shot.
Wuhan is extremely good to onward travel to rest of china.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 3:28 am

Programs: BA gold, OWE
There is a rumour now that crew will not stay in China destinations, but will return to HEL immediately after outbound. Eventually this will result planes flying empty back to base.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 4:03 am
Moderator, Finnair

Because all destinations are now (going to be) cancelled.
  • Finnair cancels all its flights to mainland China between 6 February and 29 February 2020.
  • Finnair cancels its two weekly flights to Guangzhou between 5 February and 29 March 2020.
  • As communicated in a press release on 27 January 2020, Finnair cancelled its flights to Beijing Daxing airport between 5 February and 29 March 2020.
  • As communicated in a press release on 27 January 2020, Finnair cancelled its flights to Nanjing between 8 February and 29 March 2020.
  • Finnair stops accepting bookings to its mainland China flights between 31 January and 29 February 2020.
hkgg likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 4:20 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Subsidies from the local authorities. Similar subsidies are keeping several freight train routes operating at the moment between China and Europe.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 8:28 am

Programs: BONVOY Lifetime Platinum , Ay Platinum, Hhonors Diamond
Got my flight cancelled from CAN. Asked by chat about possibilities for rerouting, but basically were told that only way is to travel on last flight eg. 2.2 or then after the flights get back to normal. Other choice was money back for unused flight. No rerouting offered thought i volunteered to pay us to BKK or SGN so all they have to do is change the departure city.

Sounds quite harsh, any experiences on similar cases?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.