Finnair China travel waivers??

Old Feb 14, 20, 6:19 am

Programs: Only Gold card I have is at F24Seven :D
Originally Posted by OH-LGG View Post
AY, hello! Put triple tier point campaign on to HKG..
I seriously wonder why they dont incentivize low-load routes now if they fly anyway! I would join.
Likewise, I would expect to see low prices too but no.
Old Feb 14, 20, 6:22 am

Programs: Drawer of Cards
My main destinations as a corporate slave are in Asia. So yeah, if this goes long and bad, i wont even renew my plat this Tracking Period
Old Feb 14, 20, 6:27 am

I just had my flight from HKG-HEL-LHR cancelled

But automatically got booked onto the flight 12 hours earlier, with 2.5 hour layover in Helsinki (instead of original 55 mins) - means I can go into the lounge. So it's not too bad, although I guess this'll mean the flight will be absolutely packed to the rafters, including Business class
Old Feb 14, 20, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QR PC Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Eurobonus silver (!), Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD
AY, hello! Put triple tier point campaign on to HKG..
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat View Post
I know youíre only joking but that would be even more strange, and also controversial...promoting travel to area which most/many want to avoid now for obvious health risk reasons..
Maybe that is a double win?
We already know lumo/platinum is a everyman's card.
Old Feb 14, 20, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QR PC Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Eurobonus silver (!), Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD
Originally Posted by kauppias View Post
they could And perhaps should do a Double/triple TP promo this year as many will have go cancel leisure and or business travel to asia which is a core market for AY IMHO
Letís not forget how small portion us FT nerds really represent for the airline industry.
I would go immediately to HKG for triple points.
Originally Posted by FFlash View Post
I seriously wonder why they dont incentivize low-load routes now if they fly anyway! I would join.
Likewise, I would expect to see low prices too but no.
I think the answer to this will only come at a later stage.
Right now, I think they monitor to what degree people postpone vs cancels. If postponing is large, then books are pretty full for later this year. Then they'll focus on hibernating through this phase: reducing cost, like cancel flights / letting people go and finding new revenue, like opening new routes to NA. (All things they've done).

If the postponing offer isn't working then they have not only a time limited phase with poor sales, they have a prolonged period of less demand. Stimuli, like points bonus, is not unlikely. Sure the world of FT is small, but unless AY has lost faith in loyalty program altogether, they'll be looking to re-acquire business from people with a known track-record. It is far easier than finding new customers.

Maybe China closure is only positive impact
China may very well be low yield on average, but if I was an investor I wouldn't be happy to hear these words.

Impact was said to be Ērelatively low for Q1..Ē - this could be for various reasons they can play around with internally. If this goes on I would not expect to see either ĒrelativeĒ or ĒlowĒ used when they will describe the Q2 outlook if things donít change for the better soon.
I think that is a very apt analysis. "Tell investors about Q1 and keep quiet about Q2. Let's hope it blows over before we need to talk to investors about Q2"
Old Feb 14, 20, 9:14 am

Programs: Many
Iím due to fly JFK-HEL-HKG on May 5, with the return in July. At this point I am not interested in going to HKG in May as this is only going to get worse. My questions are:

- Will AY refund early May flights to that area yet?
- If not, assuming the waiver rolls forward in a week or two to cover early May, will I be able to refund entire itin even if the return isnít until July?

going to scrap my entire May trip to Asia and avoid the region until this crisis resolves. Would prefer not to lose 2x J tix JFK-HEL-HKG-HEL-JFK.
Old Feb 14, 20, 9:32 am

Programs: AY Platinum/OWE
No refunds for flights in May at the moment, according to the current waiver.

The letter of the current waivers does permit full refunds/cancellations also, so id this is extended to May you should be able to cancel for a full refund.
Old Feb 14, 20, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by DrSickle View Post
No refunds for flights in May at the moment, according to the current waiver.

The letter of the current waivers does permit full refunds/cancellations also, so id this is extended to May you should be able to cancel for a full refund.
great. Iíll keep checking for upgrades on the rolling waiver period.
Old Feb 14, 20, 11:03 am

Programs: AS, BA, AV, AC, VS, KE, SQ, AA, UA | Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
I'm scheduled to fly AY101 (HEL-HKG) in late March but I got a cancellation email this morning and was rebooked on AY099 leaving 7 hours later. Bizarrely, I was still booked on the same CX connection to SIN so I had a connection time of -4:50! Since I can't time travel I just rebooked myself on the non-stop to SIN so I don't have to worry about it. Although, with the growing number of cases in Singapore...
Tofino87 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 20, 11:56 am
Original Poster

QUOTE=GetSetJetSet;32071635]
- If not, assuming the waiver rolls forward in a week or two to cover early May, will I be able to refund entire itin even if the return isnít until July?

going to scrap my entire May trip to Asia and avoid the region until this crisis resolves. Would prefer not to lose 2x J tix JFK-HEL-HKG-HEL-JFK.[/QUOTE]

Iím too am certainly hoping theyíll roll this forward to at least the first week of May.

With mainland China flights it seems crazy/cruel to me if they donít do this within the next week for passengers, given the big increase in cases of coronavirus in the last couple of days, which are predominantly due to the new means of classification in Hubei province (but could be argued should have been included all along).

And Iím sorry to say, but HKG is so close and the border restrictions have taken so long to come into force that I wouldnít be surprised if we see a change for the worse in HKG.

I, so conveniently, was planning a LARGE amount Asia-Pacific travel, beginning late-April, through to November!, and like you am now re-considering the whole idea.

I do not fancy losing a few grand in flights for nothing, in a situation where the waivers wonít cover a refund and the itineraries stay, but itís almost pointless to travel to Guangzhou or HKG if theyíre going to be like ghost towns and you are severely restricted from travelling on to other destinations.... and have to wear face masks in crazy heat/humidity.

Never mind all the other positioning flights, award redemptions and hotels I currently need to sort out. Thank goodness I was holding off on some of the bookings and later travel, given travel restrictions in various places. I would have been absolutely stitched up!

Itís like being stuck in no-mans land at the moment.
Old Feb 14, 20, 12:38 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet View Post
Iím due to fly JFK-HEL-HKG on May 5, with the return in July. At this point I am not interested in going to HKG in May as this is only going to get worse. My questions are:

going to scrap my entire May trip to Asia and avoid the region until this crisis resolves. Would prefer not to lose 2x J tix JFK-HEL-HKG-HEL-JFK.
You will have to wait until the situation either improves or, if not, they extend the waiver. When extended, you can cancel your ticket for a full refund, and that means the whole ticket, regardless of when the return is.
Old Feb 14, 20, 1:32 pm

Programs: AY Platinum/OWE
I think it is safe to assume that if the situation continues like this the waiver will be extended, however there is little incentive for the airline to extend it prematurely, given the financial impact of such a decision.

After all, dealing with a novel pathogen of uncertain origin and poorly described behaviour is not exactly a predictable situation.
Old Feb 14, 20, 3:07 pm

Programs: AY PLT, AA PLT, DL FO, LH, EK, TK, IHG PLT w/AMB, Marriott Silver
I had weekend trip (Thu-Sun) HEL-HKG-HEL booked for early March, which is now of course toast due cancellation of AY101. However, I got my flights changed to more convenient days (Tue-Fri) in mid-May, so in the end it worked out pretty ok. What's the situation in HKG regarding the virus in May remains to be seen.
Old Feb 14, 20, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Tofino87 View Post
QUOTE=GetSetJetSet;32071635]

Iím too am certainly hoping theyíll roll this forward to at least the first week of May.

With mainland China flights it seems crazy/cruel to me if they donít do this within the next week for passengers, given the big increase in cases of coronavirus in the last couple of days, which are predominantly due to the new means of classification in Hubei province (but could be argued should have been included all along).

And Iím sorry to say, but HKG is so close and the border restrictions have taken so long to come into force that I wouldnít be surprised if we see a change for the worse in HKG.

I, so conveniently, was planning a LARGE amount Asia-Pacific travel, beginning late-April, through to November!, and like you am now re-considering the whole idea.

I do not fancy losing a few grand in flights for nothing, in a situation where the waivers wonít cover a refund and the itineraries stay, but itís almost pointless to travel to Guangzhou or HKG if theyíre going to be like ghost towns and you are severely restricted from travelling on to other destinations.... and have to wear face masks in crazy heat/humidity.

Never mind all the other positioning flights, award redemptions and hotels I currently need to sort out. Thank goodness I was holding off on some of the bookings and later travel, given travel restrictions in various places. I would have been absolutely stitched up!

Itís like being stuck in no-mans land at the moment.[/QUOTE]
Cities in China may be more apt when describing them as ghost towns, such as guangzhou for example but Hong Kong is a totally different kettle of fish. A little bit quieter in the city but hong kong has such a mass of people and isn't part of mainland China so that makes a big difference
Old Feb 14, 20, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by youthagainsttt View Post

Itís like being stuck in no-mans land at the moment.
Cities in China may be more apt when describing them as ghost towns, such as guangzhou for example but Hong Kong is a totally different kettle of fish. A little bit quieter in the city but hong kong has such a mass of people and isn't part of mainland China so that makes a big difference[/QUOTE]

I was in HKG in late Jan and it was already a ghost town then. My local friends tell me itís more pronounced now. Either way, I am avoiding HKG due to virus not lack of stuff to do there. Will have to wait and see.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: