Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair plus status grace period

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2020, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Finnair plus status grace period

Alright, so my finnair plus card shows JAN21 and my tracking period ends last of November so it seems that there's a two-month grace period in the status. I'm wondering if anyone knows what this means in practice;
1) Will my status stay with Finnair AND/OR OneWorld until end of the Tracking period OR Grace period?
2) Will I get tier bonus for my Finnair points flown during the grace period (new tracking period) based on my new (lower) status or old (grace) status?
Old Jan 23, 2020, 4:47 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
No tier points for sure, the card is valid just so that they have time to send new one. It might work for lounge access and J checkin though, but your boarding pass will show the actual status you have in Finnair system.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 4:58 am

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
I think the card validity should define the airport services as at least in case you drop out of a "perk level", lounge access etc. will still be valid until card expires. BA had one month grace period and all airport services were valid during that time. In a sense, it is a same situation as crediting the points to another FFP but using the card to gain benefits from another.
Tier status on BP is not the only defining factor. I guess the main issue is for e.g. OWE->OWS transition that how long one could access FC check-in and lounges. Actually, equally good question would be can one access PW during the grace period? AY could be more strict on the matter if they want as from AY perspective customer is not a platinum member anymore.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 4:58 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
No grace period, and the validity on the card is misleading. All perks will end when the tracking period changes.

Perhaps you could talk yourself into an outstation lounge, but I wouldn't count on it.
NoWindowSeat and lkrt like this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 5:05 am
Original Poster

Yeah, I was thinking of dropping to gold and grinding back to plat during the two months, but that does make it slightly less appealing - six opportunities to go to sauna missed vs. the 4+4 extra SH vouchers..
Old Jan 24, 2020, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by ffay005
No grace period, and the validity on the card is misleading. All perks will end when the tracking period changes.

Perhaps you could talk yourself into an outstation lounge, but I wouldn't count on it.
I would strongly oppose this view without backing from CS. In a sense, the main purpose of the validity of the card is to take care the system delays etc. What will happen, perks within control of the airline would seize to exist as airline can validate status "online". But I see it highly unlikely that "OW-perks" would not be based solely on the card validity.
The main question is naturally, is PW following AY-status or card validity.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 3:33 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by ffay005
Originally Posted by Post Scriptum
... In a sense, the main purpose of the validity of the card is to take care the system delays etc. ...
I'd say the only purpose of the card validity is to cover up the notoriously slow production of renewed cards. It is meant to stop customers who renewed their tier to call in for a replacement card. IME, the renewed platinum card never arrives before 2 months have passed of the new period.
lkrt likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 4:24 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Exactly, I agree with ffay005 and intuition: there is no grace period with AY+.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 5:12 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by intuition
I'd say the only purpose of the card validity is to cover up the notoriously slow production of renewed cards. It is meant to stop customers who renewed their tier to call in for a replacement card. IME, the renewed platinum card never arrives before 2 months have passed of the new period.
Not the case with the SEB card for sure...very quick delivery.
intuition likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 6:14 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by Post Scriptum
I would strongly oppose this view without backing from CS. In a sense, the main purpose of the validity of the card is to take care the system delays etc. What will happen, perks within control of the airline would seize to exist as airline can validate status "online". But I see it highly unlikely that "OW-perks" would not be based solely on the card validity.
The main question is naturally, is PW following AY-status or card validity.
This is really a non-issue. No grace period and thanks to the (at least sometimes) working IT systems your new status will be clearly visible to the OW partners as well - if not on day 1, very soon thereafter. This is my experience.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 6:31 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Who needs that card anyway? Card is so 90's.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 6:45 am

Programs: AY+Plat
It is true that there is no grace period and new status will be reflected everywhere. However, card still works to get entry to lounges (HEL as well as AY and other OW lounges).
Old Jan 24, 2020, 6:54 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo+LTG, FI Gold, DL Silver, BA, SK, AX Plat, Priority Pass, Marriott Ambassador & others
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
At times I have had to show it in CX lounges when travelling with a BA issued boarding pass which did not reflect the status correctly. And of course the Lumo card is handy at HEL if not flying OW...
TTL likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 6:57 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Me. Contactless payments are handy - and definitely 2020´s. And IMO black SEB AY MasterCard is also otherwise well functional and trustworthy travel companion.
NoWindowSeat likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 7:00 am

Well, if one gets in to FC lounges with the card vs. with "real status", it is worth it

At least for BA, grace period was for real and I used lounge services in multiple occasions during the period. However, it was only one month, not two. So, I definitely see a use for the card from Plat->Gold or Gold->silver dropouts. But, is the grace period same for gold/plat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.