Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

most rows blocked from advance seat reservation

most rows blocked from advance seat reservation

Old Jan 21, 20, 5:34 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Programs: TK *G, BA Gold
Posts: 549
most rows blocked from advance seat reservation

On a recent flight and two upcoming flights my previous seat assigned has been randomly changed and the seat map shows the majority of economy rows blocked (with me in the middle of it all). Has anyone else seen this problem? reserving exit rows is now impossible even if contacting customer support.
riku2 is offline  
Old Jan 21, 20, 6:03 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Programs: *G, OWE, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond, PriorityPass, AX Plat
Posts: 467
Originally Posted by riku2 View Post
On a recent flight and two upcoming flights my previous seat assigned has been randomly changed and the seat map shows the majority of economy rows blocked (with me in the middle of it all). Has anyone else seen this problem? reserving exit rows is now impossible even if contacting customer support.
I am seeing similar for my August flight ARN-HEL. Economy is rows 3-29, but rows 3-13 (and 28/29DEF) show as occupied which I don't think they all are. Have not seen this before.
vulle is offline  
Old Jan 21, 20, 6:13 am
  #3  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Switzerland
Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Nordic Choice Hotels Silver, Avis Preferred Plus
Posts: 4,927
I had the same issue recently. CS said it is a bug and will be fixed „soon“. Not even CS was able to assign seats, they said they are occupied which clearly they are not.
florens is offline  
Old Jan 21, 20, 6:41 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Programs: *G, OWE, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond, PriorityPass, AX Plat
Posts: 467
Originally Posted by florens View Post
I had the same issue recently. CS said it is a bug and will be fixed „soon“. Not even CS was able to assign seats, they said they are occupied which clearly they are not.
Interesting as for my outbound HEL-STO, also in August, I was able to choose an exit seat, no Y seats were occupied at all.
vulle is offline  
Old Jan 21, 20, 6:43 am
  #5  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Switzerland
Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Nordic Choice Hotels Silver, Avis Preferred Plus
Posts: 4,927
Originally Posted by vulle View Post
Interesting as for my outbound HEL-STO, also in August, I was able to choose an exit seat, no Y seats were occupied at all.
I don‘t know which flights are affected. Obviously not all of them but some. Very odd.
florens is offline  
Old Jan 21, 20, 7:01 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Programs: TK *G, BA Gold
Posts: 549
I think it might be related to aircraft change since I had HEL-EDI return booked and the HEL-EDI seat reservations worked ok but EDI-HEL was changed from E90 -> A 319 and that suffered the large seat blocking issue.
riku2 is offline  
Old Jan 21, 20, 7:15 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: MMX (CPH)
Programs: QR PC Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, SK EB silver, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD, SJ Black
Posts: 11,502
Amadeus Altéa Departure control is working its magic.
Happened a lot when they first introduced it, perhaps someone did a reconfig and didn't get some parameter right?
intuition is offline  
Old Jan 21, 20, 7:22 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: HEL
Programs: BA GGL, AY Gold, IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond
Posts: 479
Originally Posted by florens View Post
CS said it is a bug and will be fixed „soon“.
Are they going to fix the codeshare seat selection issue at the same time? Still going strong since spring 2016 (the introduction of single PNRs).
esledo is offline  
Old Jan 21, 20, 9:12 am
  #9  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Switzerland
Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Nordic Choice Hotels Silver, Avis Preferred Plus
Posts: 4,927
Originally Posted by riku2 View Post
I think it might be related to aircraft change since I had HEL-EDI return booked and the HEL-EDI seat reservations worked ok but EDI-HEL was changed from E90 -> A 319 and that suffered the large seat blocking issue.
I don't think so. It happened here as well and no aircraft change was involved in my scenario.

Originally Posted by esledo View Post
Are they going to fix the codeshare seat selection issue at the same time? Still going strong since spring 2016 (the introduction of single PNRs).
I don't think the codeshare seat selection issue will be fixed as AY has no interest in fixing it.
esledo and jouhka like this.
florens is offline  
Old Jan 21, 20, 10:52 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: HEL
Programs: BA G; AY Basic; HHonors G; Marriott S
Posts: 138
My booking HEL-ARN-ARN which was booked on 15th Jan - first available row 23 and for return 19 -- has not changed since.

I have not yet bothered to call. Annoying? Yes.

-j
jouhka is offline  
Old Jan 21, 20, 11:13 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Programs: AY+
Posts: 105
I have similar experiences from a few domestic flights. The app has showed most of the seats occupied (like from row 3 to 10) and the plane has usually been half empty and no-one or only a few passengers sitting on occupied rows.
tulokas is offline  
Old Jan 21, 20, 12:09 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: HEL
Programs: AY Platinum, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Posts: 5,080
Could it be that this is intentional? Block the first few rows of Y, because they might be needed for J. (Although this theory doesn't really hold true for domestic flights...)
ffay005 is offline  
Old Jan 21, 20, 12:43 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: HEL
Programs: BA G; AY Basic; HHonors G; Marriott S
Posts: 138
Originally Posted by ffay005 View Post
Could it be that this is intentional? Block the first few rows of Y, because they might be needed for J. (Although this theory doesn't really hold true for domestic flights...)
I do understand balancing reasons on ATR or 10 first rows - but 23 front rows...
OHTOW likes this.
jouhka is offline  
Old Jan 21, 20, 12:59 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Programs: AY+
Posts: 105
Originally Posted by jouhka View Post
I do understand balancing reasons on ATR or 10 first rows - but 23 front rows...
Thats quite optimistic it must be an IT thing. Have you checked expertflyer? Are the seats occupied there as well?
tulokas is offline  
Old Jan 21, 20, 3:05 pm
  #15  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Switzerland
Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Nordic Choice Hotels Silver, Avis Preferred Plus
Posts: 4,927
Originally Posted by tulokas View Post
Thats quite optimistic it must be an IT thing. Have you checked expertflyer? Are the seats occupied there as well?
Seats show as free on EF.
florens is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: