Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

AY avoiding Iraqi and Iranian airspace

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2020, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels

News in Finnish: https://yle.fi/uutiset/3-11147425

So for now, AY will not fly over Iraq and Iran. This only impacts one route, to DXB.

A32B services make a fuelling stop at ATH.

This will of course delay arrival into DXB, and the return flights will depart delayed, and arrive even more so.

I wonder how much the flying time will increase on the A350 services. Those planes should take off at midnight to HKG/SIN, and unless there are spares, that’s not going to happen.

As far as I can understand, possible delays on the HKG / SIN route are EC261 eligible.

Returns from HKG / SIN should remain unaffected due to very long ground times.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Copying a friend from Flightforum.fi, apparently tonight’s AY1962 makes a fuel stop in Egypt, while AY1961 refuelled at ATH.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 10:41 am

Programs: AY+
Did some calculations on the internet and with my personal route to DXB (HEL-western Saudi-Arabia-DXB), total distance would increase by approx. 1000-1200km meaning over an hour more to the flight time.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 11:48 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
There is now one extra A350 before the HND service starts.

Also in case the extra A350 is not used, the knock-on effect should be limited by the longish turnaround times. The turnaround time in DXB is 105 minutes and by using double airbridges they can turn the plane around much faster. Also after coming back to HEL there's 110 minutes before the departure to SIN or HKG.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 11:56 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Originally Posted by r2d2

Also in case the extra A350 is not used, the knock-on effect should be limited by the longish turnaround times. The turnaround time in DXB is 105 minutes and by using double airbridges they can turn the plane around much faster. Also after coming back to HEL there's 110 minutes before the departure to SIN or HKG.
Rather to AMS and back!!!
Old Jan 8, 2020, 12:04 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
What do you mean with one extra?
Old Jan 8, 2020, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Perhaps in theory, but AY is completely unable to turn around a widebody in less than 100 minutes. I've seen it so many times. If it arrives 30 min late, it will depart 30 min late... Always.

Anyway, if the flight time only increases with about 60 min / leg, then it's not that bad, really. It would mean SIN/HKG would depart perhaps at 1:40 am, from a completely deserted HEL, so they should be in the air in no time, If they manage to catch up in the air, they should be perhaps 90-100 min delayed on arrival, which is not that bad.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 10:31 pm

Programs: Onko teillä S-etukorttia?
But QR does fly, and finnish people race to tell Ilta-Sanomat about it.
Sorry, only in finnish. https://www.is.fi/kotimaa/art-2000006366852.html

Originally Posted by Juska Pekkanen

Yritin saada vaihdettua lentoa kentän asiakaspalvelussa, mutta sieltä sanottiin vain, että asialle ei voida tehdä mitään. Qatar on riidoissa kaikkien naapurimaidensa kanssa, niin ei lennon reitille ei ole juuri vaihtoehtoja, hän sanoo.

Lennon vaihto olisi vaatinut useita uusia välilaskuja ja pitkää kiertoreittiä. Oli uskaltauduttava alkuperäiselle lennolle.

Jo koneeseen kävellessä heräsi epäilys, kun lentäjänä näytti olevan harvinaisen nuori kaveri.

– Mietin, että onko kokeneempi lentäjä kieltäytynyt lentämästä reittiä ja tilalle on laitettu joku kisälli, Pekkanen lohkaisee.

Itse lennolla vallitsi hänen mukaansa rauhallinen tunnelma. Lentäjä ei noteerannut tapahtumia, eivätkä matkustajatkaan tuntuneet keskustelevan asiasta.

– Monella oli lomahuumassa menneet varmaan uutiset ohi.

Iranin kohdalla lento hänen mukaansa kiersi hieman alkuperäisestä reitistä idän kautta Iranin ja Irakin rajan ohi. Alueen yllä ei nukuttanut.

– Siinä katselin Iranin kohdalla ikkunasta ulos, että näkyykö raketteja ikkunasta.
This guy cant be for real, right?
Old Jan 8, 2020, 10:40 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Due to the embargo QR has no choice as they can‘t use Saudi airspace.
NZA777319ER, remymartin and esledo like this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 12:31 am

Programs: AY+
Originally Posted by Jorma

So you mean the piece of news ingeneral or just the bolded parts? If just the bolded parts, then agree with you! No idea what this guy is on about. Why would a young pilot voluntarely fly such a route? But these IS news tend to be more and more höpö-höpö...
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 12:32 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by Jorma
But QR does fly, and finnish people race to tell Ilta-Sanomat about it.
Sorry, only in finnish. https://www.is.fi/kotimaa/art-2000006366852.html

Haha. Typical IS article. Keep them coming
remymartin likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 3:57 am
Original Poster

I'll be experiencing this first hand now that my award booking (one of my three) went through. Will be flying A359 in J both ways. Janica said AY will have a meeting today on the airspace issue, and information should be available tonight. We'll see.

OT, but I'm continuing on WB (Rwandair) to Kigali. Naturally, I signed up for their FFP and guess what, I'm Emerald (Emerald is their basic status...)
vulle, TTL, mhle and 6 others like this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 4:56 am

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBG
Originally Posted by ffay005
...OT, but I'm continuing on WB (Rwandair) to Kigali. Naturally, I signed up for their FFP and guess what, I'm Emerald (Emerald is their basic status...)
Would like to see somebody try that "I'm Emerald" when attempting to access OW F lounge
ffay005, florens and kanamurva like this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 6:47 am

Programs: AY, SQ, EK
Originally Posted by ffay005

As far as I can understand, possible delays on the HKG / SIN route are EC261 eligible.

I assume this is a joke? Or would people really assume that they are entitled to a few hundred dollars in 'compo'?

I fly AY a few times a year to/from SIN. Was passing through HEL (JFK-HEL-SIN) on 2 Jan when the HEL-BKK was delayed by 7 hours or something. People were getting overnight accommodation and their 'compo' - some people were arguing for more compensation and getting rather agitated in the process. I mean it's not ideal, but these things happen in life. Given the extremely low ticket prices these days, I'm not convinced airlines can (or should) invest in fleets of hot spares.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 9:52 am

Programs: AY+ Gold (OWS)
Originally Posted by nanyang
I assume this is a joke? Or would people really assume that they are entitled to a few hundred dollars in 'compo'?
Not a joke. It's EU regulation. EUR 600 compensation for long haul flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.