Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Strategies for booking complex awards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Strategies for booking complex awards

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2020, 1:13 am

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
kanamurva , in F I have only ever seen 1 seat by CX. However, they may have occasionally 1 seat per flight on several flights same day. Also consecutive flights. What's funny/odd is that I had to explicitly search for LHR-SIN awards to get the CX flights to show. Only looking LHR-HKG didn't give nearly as much availability. CX is the carrier I have been mostly focusing on. Also JL, but that seems to be very rare that they release F awards, at least not months out. Business availability seems actually quite easy to find for multiple seats.

FFlash thank you for those points! Very helpful, good points.

Starting to get really, really tempted by this. Would be a perfect 40th birthday gift for me (ok, a few months in advance, but still).
Old Jan 9, 2020, 2:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo, LX Senator, SK Life-time Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Sounds like a great trip. A couple of additional comments. Finnair's rule about the distance-based oneworld awards says that one needs to include 2 or more oneworld carriers. There is no need to include flights from Finnair, i.e. you can also use BA between HEL-LHR. And you can have as many carriers as you like. I once booked an oneworld award with 6 different carriers.

The second comment is related to having a stop-over twice in the same city. According to the rules, you can have a stop-over only once per city. This means that if you intend to visit Singapore twice, the other stop cannot be longer than 24 hours. I don't know how strict they are about this but the rule says so.

I also think that the two attractive things about Kuala Lumpur are the good prices on high-quality hotels and the interesting culture (especially food).
niksal and FFlash like this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 2:25 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by mhle
...Finnair's rule about the distance-based oneworld awards says that one needs to include 2 or more oneworld carriers. ....
Yes, my bad.
I was sure I read it to be exactly two, but checking the rules now it clearly says 2 or more. So there you go! With the suggested LH route at 25000km there is 10 000km left in that award category so you can go around europe on OW carriers on your way to LHR!
Old Jan 10, 2020, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by niksal
KUL is for some reason a place that has been on my mind for a while. Hotel prices seem very reasonable (150€/night for a club room at IC seems nice). The food intrigues me.

Indeed. It was the only place I could afford the Ritz Carlton (suite upgrade while Marriott Plat) and similar very high end brands. Your run of the mill JW, Grand Hyatt, etc are also very reasonable priced.

Insider tip - the best view of the Petronas Towers is from the top bar of the Trader's Hotel
niksal, intuition and FFlash like this.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 6:53 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Insider tip - the best view of the Petronas Towers is from the top bar of the Trader's Hotel
I can agree with that - as I lived in the KLCC two year some years back. Area has been changing (more tall buildings around the part!) all the time.

You could also consider to enjoy a lunch at the KL Tower where they have a rotating restaurant. Also recommend to take KLIA Express train from the airport to KL Central and train from there to KLCC.
niksal and FFlash like this.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Tapio
I can agree with that - as I lived in the KLCC two year some years back. Area has been changing (more tall buildings around the part!) all the time.

You could also consider to enjoy a lunch at the KL Tower where they have a rotating restaurant. Also recommend to take KLIA Express train from the airport to KL Central and train from there to KLCC.
Comparing my photos from 2013 and 2019 the change is amazing. My local friends tend to take a sceptic view of the tower-building craze...

KLIA Express is a very good deal - buy it on the app (10% off) and pay by MasterCard (10 MYR off) makes it a steal. From Sentral I usually grab a Grab
niksal and esledo like this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 8:37 am

So, I tried to book the award HEL-FRA-HKG-KUL-SIN-HKG-LHR-HEL. I checked both aa.com and ba.com, found availability, put it all in a nice email to AY Platinum to avoid misunderstandings. Reply: They don't see availability. I suspect the problem is that they look segment by segment, whereas I looked at e.g. FRA-KUL which then offered me a connection in HKG. If I looked FRA-HKG, I agree there wasn't any availability.

Should I simply call them? Is there actually a different agent that looks at the mails compared to calls?

I'll donate my 1 million AY points to some charity soon - impossible to use them for anything good.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo, LX Senator, SK Life-time Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
My experience is that booking complicated awards by email does not work very well. Calling them is a better option. One can resolve problems and misunderstandings easier directly by phone than in an email chain, with the agent changing between each response.
FFlash likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 9:35 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Go for it niksal! Call them and let us know. Dont give up, first First is thing Thing
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:29 am

It took a call of almost an hour, but now I have something that is almost what I wanted. I have a HEL-FRA(AY C)-HKG(CX F)-KUL(KA C)-SIN(MH C)-HKG(CX C)-LHR(CX F)-HEL(AY C) booked. 3 days in KUL, have to spend nights in SIN and LHR.

Lesson learned 1: AA.com and BA.com cannot be entirely trusted. Even if you see something there, doesn't mean Finnair can book it.

Lesson learned 2: As availability could only be seen when looking for FRA-KUL (no availability FRA-HKG only), you have to take the next possible connection HKG-KUL. I couldn't book the later and probably nicer MH flight.

Lesson learned 3: The LHR-HEL is 16.10 flight. No availability earlier, and since this is a OW award, AY priorities etc don't really count

Lesson learned 4: Ticketing in 24h, so I will only know tomorrow morning what this actually will cost. I'm a bit afraid of the stop in LHR and what that does to the price

Probably more lessons learned, can't think of them now.

But yes, first first booked! Now let's just hope CX stays alive until September when this trip takes place.

And yes, the agent thought I was a complete idiot. He even called back to ask whether I really only wanted to stay 3 days in KUL...
ffay005, mhle, lkrt and 4 others like this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:48 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
And yes, the agent thought I was a complete idiot. He even called back to ask whether I really only wanted to stay 3 days in KUL...
Oh! Sounds like of one of my normal friends.....
Old Feb 5, 2020, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Lesson learned 1: AA.com and BA.com cannot be entirely trusted. Even if you see something there, doesn't mean Finnair can book it.
I have also similar experiences of AA.com not predicting the availability correctly. I have gotten 100% hit rate with the combination of Qantas and BA tools.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 11:22 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Iesson learned 1: AA.com and BA.com cannot be entirely trusted. Even if you see something there, doesn't mean Finnair can book it.
But yes, first first booked! Now let's just hope CX stays alive until September when this trip takes place.
I've had the same experience, BA found an F seat on LHR-ATL but wasn't visible on AA or Alaska MileagePlan.

I'd be more concerned about them cutting F to FRA as they did to Chicago (easy route for awards) and almost cut 12 out of their 18 daily seats to JFK but decided not to.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 12:11 pm

Programs: AY+ Gold (OWS)

Lesson learned 3: The LHR-HEL is 16.10 flight. No availability earlier, and since this is a OW award, AY priorities etc don't really count

Lesson learned 4: Ticketing in 24h, so I will only know tomorrow morning what this actually will cost. I'm a bit afraid of the stop in LHR and what that does to the price
Re 3: Ask them to waitlist the earlier LHR-HEL flight, it has a good chance of clearing as a plat.
Re 4: I would suggest pricing the itinerary in Matrix (in segments) so you can calculate the taxes yourself. AY are notorious for miscalculating taxes.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 12:26 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
LHR should be avoided where possible for J/F awards, high taxes but then again it’s BA’s hub so not easy..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.