Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair content removed from Sabre and Abacus GDSs

Old Nov 26, 19, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: QR PC Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Eurobonus silver (!), Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD

Finnair apparently was kicked out of Sabre today. If there are OTA and TA relying on Sabre alone, I guess they can no longer book AY flights...
Old Nov 26, 19, 2:45 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
https://www.finnair.com/fi/fi/inform...abacus_stopped

Distribution in Sabre and Abacus stopped

Finnair content has been fully removed from Sabre and Abacus GDSs as of Tuesday 26th November. The distribution agreement has not been reached with Sabre and Abacus GDS.

Finnair has been negotiating with Sabre, one of the largest Global Distribution Systems (GDS) based in the US, on an agreement to replace the current Full Content Agreement (FCA) and to allow moving to our desired state of pricing and distribution freedom in direct channels and content differentiation in indirect channels. As we have not yet reached an agreement, Sabre has removed Finnair content (flight inventory, flight prices etc.) from Sabre and Abacus GDSs as of Tuesday 26th November, excluding the European markets for now. Apart from the exclusion markets this means that travel agents cannot book anymore Finnair flights or ancillary products from Sabre or Abacus GDSs.

We are sorry about the inconvenience this is causing to travel agents and are working to find a solution with Sabre. Meanwhile, Finnair continues to distribute via all the other GDSs e.g. Amadeus, Travelport, Travelsky. Also, Finnair content is available via selected aggregator platforms such as Travelfusion and PKfare and via direct NDC connections.

Instructions for active reservations in Sabre and Abacus GDSs

Ticketed PNRs

Current fare rules (including penalties & refunds) apply.
Changes and other amendments including cancellations should be done via Finnair Contact Centers or via Manage Booking at finnair.com

Unticketed PNRs

Multi-GDS travel agents are encouraged to re-create PNR in other GDS -systems e.g. Amadeus, Travelport , Travelsky and issue ticket as per the fare rules. Original booking classes will be re-instated. Contact Finnair for re-instatement and cancellation of current PNR.

Alternatively

Ticket issuance is done via Finnair Contact Centers, acceptable form of payment is Credit Card only. Finnair will exempt first issue ticketing service fees. Finnair will accept past date pricing for all fare types if original ticketing time limit is followed. Otherwise current fare pricing applies.
Old Nov 26, 19, 9:08 pm

Programs: anti-MaRiot SPG-P IHG-S HH-D LeClub/CC-G, BA/A3-G DL/AY-P, Octopus
Thanks for posting. Maybe this deserves its own thread instead of hp-hp
Old Nov 27, 19, 5:10 am

Programs: AY+ Plat (OWE)
i got a nasty surprise of this yesterday when I asked my travel agent husband to check some AY and AA combinations on SABRE that I was looking for to buy . The flights came up but the inventory was empty.
No notice from AY or anything, usually these things come up before it happens. Finnair agent CS was very vague about it... asking if he had not heard the news (???)
But she would not confirm that AY is no longer offered on SABRE. The codeshares with AA or BA still come up and can be booked.

A very strange way to handle things by AY, IMHO.
Old Nov 27, 19, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: QR PC Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Eurobonus silver (!), Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD
Originally Posted by travelmoments View Post
No notice from AY or anything, usually these things come up before it happens. Finnair agent CS was very vague about it... asking if he had not heard the news (???)
But she would not confirm that AY is no longer offered on SABRE. The codeshares with AA or BA still come up and can be booked.

A very strange way to handle things by AY, IMHO.
I'd say Finnair was taken by surprise. They announced the news internally on the same day it had happened. It seems AY was holding out signing a renewal agreement on the hopes of getting some new stuff included. My take is that Sabre grew tired on the tactic and just deleted AY on the system, based on the fact that no agreement was in place. Finnair should have seen it coming but it looks like they didn't. And thus was not prepared.

The suggested workarounds also points to some panic in AY. Agents are supposed to move tickets to other GDS and then call in to get historical fares reinstated and to get old PNRs cancelled. Some back-office department is probably pretty busy today.
Old Dec 1, 19, 6:11 pm

Im not sure if this is relevant but after maybe four weeks I tried to check availability through expertflyer. It just showed the booking classes without the numbers. I think JLs code share inventory on AY was shown.
Old Dec 2, 19, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by nordic View Post
Im not sure if this is relevant but after maybe four weeks I tried to check availability through expertflyer. It just showed the booking classes without the numbers. I think JLs code share inventory on AY was shown.
You can still find AY availability on Expertflyer but you must use European point of sale (eg Germany).
nordic and esledo like this.
Old Dec 2, 19, 2:19 pm
Company Representative - ExpertFlyer.com

Originally Posted by miikkak View Post
You can still find AY availability on Expertflyer but you must use European point of sale (eg Germany).
We made a temporary change on ExpertFlyer to use a different GDS for AY fare class inventory (USA POS) if you specify AY and only AY as the airline in the Flight Availability search.
Old Dec 23, 19, 10:23 am

Looks like most OTAs like Ticket, Travellink, edreams and Supersaver can't find Finnair flights. Im wondering if this is just IT glitch or Finnair content has been removed also from Amadeus.
Old Dec 23, 19, 11:10 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Unlikely, Amadeus is AYs native CRS.
Old Dec 23, 19, 1:23 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Gold, Scandic L2
At least, inventory seems gone from Expedia and Ctrip too.

Still on Google though.
Old Dec 23, 19, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by Courmisch View Post
At least, inventory seems gone from Expedia and Ctrip too.

Still on Google though.
Some OTAs like Expedia, ebookers, Kilroy and Kaleva (CWT) still have access to Finnair inventory. Looks like most Nordic OTAs using Amadeus or Sabre don't show Finnair inventory which is very weird.
Old Dec 24, 19, 3:00 am

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), BW Platinum
Expedia does not show AY anymore, I think not a desired status for AY. Either someone is playing hardball on negotiations (on either side)or someone has clusterfked them. Can't be a longstanding situation.
Old Dec 24, 19, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by Post Scriptum View Post
Expedia does not show AY anymore, I think not a desired status for AY. Either someone is playing hardball on negotiations (on either side)or someone has clusterfked them. Can't be a longstanding situation.
Finnair flights are still bookable at European and Asian Expedia sites (expedia.fi, ebookers.fi, expedia HK...).
Old Dec 24, 19, 6:48 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Maybe its related to Finnair offering NDC (news this spring: https://www.phocuswire.com/Finnair-NDC-channels ) and now asking for GDS fees?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: