Search

AY/TP codeshare mileage credit

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2019, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
AY/TP codeshare mileage credit

Hi there,

I will be flying HEL-LIS-SFO. Ticket was purchased with TP; my ticket starts with 047. My OZ number is on the entire ticket. HEL-LIS is operated by AY. I called Finnair about the mileage credit for the HEL-LIS segment and was told HEL-LIS will be credited to OZ because the flight was sold and marketed by TP. Does that sound right? Or should I present my AA or AS number when I check in at HEL?
Old Nov 21, 2019, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by LAX/HKG
Hi there,

I will be flying HEL-LIS-SFO. Ticket was purchased with TP; my ticket starts with 047. My OZ number is on the entire ticket. HEL-LIS is operated by AY. I called Finnair about the mileage credit for the HEL-LIS segment and was told HEL-LIS will be credited to OZ because the flight was sold and marketed by TP. Does that sound right? Or should I present my AA or AS number when I check in at HEL?
You will most likely get 0 points. In star alliance flights are credited according to operating carrier and in oneworld according to marketing carrier.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
HEL-LIS is operated by AY. I called Finnair about the mileage credit for the HEL-LIS segment and was told HEL-LIS will be credited to OZ because the flight was sold and marketed by TP. Does that sound right?

It is right insofar as the flight is not eligible for Oneworld mileage credit, since it is not marketed by a Oneworld member. In other words, from Finnair's point of view, TAP is responsible for mileage credit.

If TAP were a SkyTeam member (like AF and SU), this would actually be correct. But since TP (also CA) is a Star Alliance carrier, there will presumably be zero credit as per Star Alliance rules, as reflektia already noted. You'd better check on a Star Alliance forum though.

If you have status with AA, then you might be able to enjoy some status benefits by filling your AA number at check-in time. That's if Finnair.com even lets you check-in even though it is not the operating carrier for the first flight.

Last edited by Courmisch; Nov 23, 2019 at 12:51 am
Old Nov 22, 2019, 12:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by reflektia
You will most likely get 0 points. In star alliance flights are credited according to operating carrier and in oneworld according to marketing carrier.
This is really bad news.... I will get 0 mileage out of a 4.5 hrs flight. I wish I knew that before buying the ticket; I was going to fly HEL-LIS on TP but the timing on AY works out a lot better for me.

How about earning AS miles on the AY operated segment?
Old Nov 22, 2019, 1:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
This is really bad news.... I will get 0 mileage out of a 4.5 hrs flight. I wish I knew that before buying the ticket; I was going to fly HEL-LIS on TP but the timing on AY works out a lot better for me.

I guess you would've known if you would've read the rules of your frequent flyer program.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 12:57 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Same thing. Finnair leaves it up to the marketing carrier to credit, that is to say TAP.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 3:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by duvin
I guess you would've known if you would've read the rules of your frequent flyer program.
I know the rules for star alliance, but not one-world. I rarely fly on one world.

Your unhelpful remark is not appreciated at all.
deissi likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.