Strike warnings for monday 25.11.

Old Nov 18, 19, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Strike warnings for monday 25.11.

For those who haven't been following Finnish news: Postal workers union started a strike a week ago and other unions have already provided some minor support for their cause, but if no agreement for this dispute is found this week, next monday things will escalate further and there will be more significant support strikes. Namely, aviation industry workers union has issued warning that 25.11. 6:00 members of this union will walk out of their work places on airport ground handling, technical services, catering, cargo and airport security control. And in Finnish capital region public traffic will be severly distrupted as bus drivers will strike too.

So, let's hope postal workers and their employer find mutually acceptable solution to the issues that started when Posti announced it plans to move 700 or so emplyees to a subsidiary that follows different collective agreement that offers less lucrative salary. Otherwise next monday there will be significant distruptions in air traffic and Helsinki region public transport.
Old Nov 19, 19, 1:26 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY Plat, IHG Plat, Visa Plat, PP Prest, BT Vip
Surprisingly little information on this anywhere. As I am quite pessimistic on that the Posti-strike would end today...
Old Nov 19, 19, 2:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TTL View Post
Surprisingly little information on this anywhere. As I am quite pessimistic on that the Posti-strike would end today...
And your pessimism was appropriate: The employee side has rejected the proposal National Conciliator made last night. So, although the negotiations may continue today, I guess that the issues cannot be settled quick enough that the strike(s) would end today.
Old Nov 20, 19, 12:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor silver
Strikes seem quite common in Finland. Thought it was meant to be the world's "happiest nation"? How did that ever come about? I like AY but having had previous X2 trips cancelled due to industrial action at HEL I am very cautious in now booking AY during talk of any industrial action. Looks like.more QR bookings on the cards.
Old Nov 20, 19, 1:55 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by nivsy View Post
Strikes seem quite common in Finland. Thought it was meant to be the world's "happiest nation"?
Happiness comes from slacking off and avoiding work...
OH-LGG, TTL, DALtoAAL and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 20, 19, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QR PC Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, SK EB silver, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD, SJ Black
Originally Posted by nivsy View Post
Strikes seem quite common in Finland. Thought it was meant to be the world's "happiest nation"?
Since when does happiness equate being indifferent to salary and work conditions?

Also, what is your frame of reference if strikes are considered to be quite common in Finland?
LoungeEnthusiast and esledo like this.
Old Nov 20, 19, 3:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor silver
Originally Posted by intuition View Post
Since when does happiness equate being indifferent to salary and work conditions?

Also, what is your frame of reference if strikes are considered to be quite common in Finland?
My personal reference is two separate bookings via HEL cancelled at different times caused by strike action however if you research in Google you will see statistics.

Happiness if you were to check, has a lot to do with satisfaction in a working environment and as most people do not do that for free or if are "unhappy" they tend to source different employment. However as a happy jiggy huggy nation..😋 I would have thought that industrial relations would be high and "jolly". Obviously not..sometime like the sense of humour...🙄

Last edited by nivsy; Nov 20, 19 at 3:25 am
Old Nov 20, 19, 5:52 am

Programs: MH Platinum/ OW Emerald
In case a strike causes delays/cancellations, is one still eligible for compensation under EU regulations?
Old Nov 20, 19, 5:54 am
TTL

Originally Posted by quinzinho View Post
In case a strike causes delays/cancellations, is one still eligible for compensation under EU regulations?
No. Better have a good travel insurance. The cause of this "supplementary" strike is the dispute on labour contracts and wages within the national postal office in Finland. I think by extending this strike will cause more harm to the workers than good - people get used to finding other service providers - which there are many...

I tend to think, Lufthansa is the most strike-ridden airline...

Someone might know if the cancelled flights/itineraries would be credited to the AY FF account?

Last edited by TTL; Nov 20, 19 at 6:14 am
Old Nov 20, 19, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
If you look into the current industrial action, you'll see that it's all about 700 postal workers' collective contract* - all other strikes are support/sympathy strikes for a day or two by other related unions (rail, air, ground traffic, etc) Even though Finland is a small country, 700 people are a rather small percentage

* in short the employer wants to screw them royally, by moving their contracts to another, meaning losing up to a third of their already low current salaries. The Finnish postal service has been seriously mismanaged for many years and while the mismanagers glide off with golden handshakes of 7 (8?) figures, they want to cut the salaries of their lowest paid employees.
Old Nov 20, 19, 5:55 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Nordic Choice Hotels Silver, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by quinzinho View Post
Nope.
Old Nov 20, 19, 6:12 am

Programs: AY
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger View Post
If you look into the current industrial action, you'll see that it's all about 700 postal workers' collective contract* - all other strikes are support/sympathy strikes for a day or two by other related unions (rail, air, ground traffic, etc) Even though Finland is a small country, 700 people are a rather small percentage

* in short the employer wants to screw them royally, by moving their contracts to another, meaning losing up to a third of their already low current salaries. The Finnish postal service has been seriously mismanaged for many years and while the mismanagers glide off with golden handshakes of 7 (8?) figures, they want to cut the salaries of their lowest paid employees.

LSG Sky Chefs Finland tried couple of years ago basically the same thing, from IAU to other collective agreement. (Unfortunately only in Finnish https://yle.fi/uutiset/3-6940155 ). So, I guess that is why the airport community is so eager to go on support/sympathy strikes
Old Nov 20, 19, 6:38 am
TTL

Originally Posted by WelcometoHEL View Post
LSG Sky Chefs Finland tried couple of years ago basically the same thing, from IAU to other collective agreement. (Unfortunately only in Finnish https://yle.fi/uutiset/3-6940155 ). So, I guess that is why the airport community is so eager to go on support/sympathy strikes
It is a very effective way to fckup the life of political influencers dependent on air travel.
Old Nov 20, 19, 7:15 am

Programs: SK EBg/baEC G/MR P/A3 *G/CC G/HH D/IHG Spire
Originally Posted by cistavoda View Post
Happiness comes from slacking off and avoiding work...
Intresting comment/view 😂😂
Old Nov 20, 19, 7:37 am

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo, LX Senator, SK Life-time Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
During my >500 segments with Finnair, I have not been influenced by strikes a single time, so I would not say that the strike-related problems are that common. In contrast, I have been influenced by strikes multiple times both with Lufthansa and with SAS. Regardless of that, I still consider e.g. Denmark (the primary source of SAS strike problems) a happy country. Also, I still keep on booking with Lufthansa (and sometimes even with SAS) and do not regard them as specifically unreliable airlines.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: