FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Finnair | Finnair Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus-636/)
-   -   Light fares to Asia in 2020 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus/1995616-light-fares-asia-2020-a.html)

miikkak Nov 15, 2019 5:13 pm

Light fares to Asia in 2020

In capital markets presentation (1.46) was mentioned quickly that Light fares to Asia will be launched during the next year. AY doesn't mention in presentation whether Light fares will be sold to all Asian destinations. For instance Lufthansa doesn't sell Light fares to Japan.

Jainzar Nov 16, 2019 6:57 am

I assume they can't introduce Light fares for Europe - Japan on their own because of the JV.

intuition Nov 16, 2019 11:10 am

Aren't there like consumer protection laws that forbids charging certain ancillery things in japan making the light concept useless?

miikkak Nov 16, 2019 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by intuition (Post 31743672)
Aren't there like consumer protection laws that forbids charging certain ancillery things in japan making the light concept useless?

Upgrade auctions are considered as gambling. Air France-KLM sell at least from Europe to Japan Light fares.

napapiiri Nov 16, 2019 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by intuition (Post 31743672)

I bought a flight for a friend from KIX-CNS on Jetstar’s Japanese website and it was a stripped down ticket; like a light fare concept. So there didn’t seem to be any restrictions on selling ancillary services in that case.

intuition Nov 17, 2019 1:22 am

OK!
I was thinking about some exceptions AY has on fares to Japan for ancillary but now I see it is only the luggage allowance that differs (2PC on all Y fares). I thought it was seat selection aswell, and thought there was some kind of general exception for Japan. But likely either a JV decision or just historical reasons.

DrSickle Nov 17, 2019 6:16 am

Seat selection was previously free on all JPN fares but became chargable in 2017 I think. Bag alkowance is always 2, even on campaign fares. I think we won't see light fares to JPN, which probably is just a good thing.

I wonder what the JPN law would think about AY's current waitlist gamble for upgrades though... And the cash offers.

Superrman Nov 17, 2019 7:28 am

Somewhat irrelevant but SK also has a bit more free flow of alcohol in Y on NRT route than on others. (or atleast used to, been a while since I flew SK to Japan) I wonder if it's more of a legacy/perception of JP market kind of thing.

miamiflyer8 Nov 17, 2019 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Superrman (Post 31746032)
Somewhat irrelevant but SK also has a bit more free flow of alcohol in Y on NRT route than on others. (or atleast used to, been a while since I flew SK to Japan) I wonder if it's more of a legacy/perception of JP market kind of thing.

Japanese travel agencies started boycotting SK because of the alcohol policy.

Charging for liquor is tolerable but their bean counting of one soft drink for the first meal is laughable.

Superrman Nov 17, 2019 7:55 am

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8 (Post 31746082)

Charging for liquor is tolerable but their bean counting of one soft drink for the first meal is laughable.

:D :D That sounds like SK indeed! The fundamentals are not necessarily bad, but then there is this penny-pinching and worst kind of Scandinavian moralism/egalitarianism that can be really annoying at certain times.

on22cz Nov 17, 2019 3:19 pm

Reminds me a flight when I wasted the one complimentary soft drink allowance by ordering a glass of water.

Otherwise, I can play this HBO policy game, unless it becomes inspired by BA.

miikkak Nov 17, 2019 4:27 pm

I don't know if this was the reason but in 2016 they dumped tickets from Scandinavia & Helsinki to Japan for ~270 € at least three times. Excessive penny-pinching is sometimes very expensive.

intuition Nov 18, 2019 2:30 am

Originally Posted by miikkak (Post 31747667)
I don't know if this was the reason but in 2016 they dumped tickets from Scandinavia & Helsinki to Japan for ~270 € at least three times. Excessive penny-pinching is sometimes very expensive.

I enjoyed several trips on the notoriously expensive CPH-NRT route (albeit with some tactical routing and POS) at 1200€ each in 2016/2017. I love penny-pinching in the back when the service and cabin in the front is generous! ( for those remembering my report from then I hold that cabin above anything on offer from AY)

Furry Nov 18, 2019 2:48 am

Originally Posted by miikkak (Post 31747667)

Looking at the history I flew TKU-ARN-CPH-NRT r/t in SAS Plus for 505,48€ per person in the peak season 2017 (end of March-early April). Also renewed A3 Gold purely with this trip as it earned 200% miles :D

At those times SK had a lot of nice fares in their weekly offers etc. ex-Finland also to USA, but now they seem to be gone. Also did quite a few trips to USA in Go for about 250-300€.

FFlash Nov 18, 2019 3:50 am

Originally Posted by DrSickle (Post 31745852)
Bag alkowance is always 2, even on campaign fares. .

Bag allowance=alkowance is just fine spelling on AY forum. A.k.a, ”tallinna-keissi” or similar petname.