Finnair Crew Wi-FI misuse

Old Oct 25, 19, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY GUEST

Sometimes If wi-fi is not working, it's not lack of coverage of satellites.

Iltalehti today:

Osa Finnairin matkustamohenkilökuntaa on käyttänyt lentokoneiden wifi-verkkoa asiakkaiden tunnuksilla. Tiedossa on kirjallisia varoituksia ja jopa joitakin irtisanomisia.

Some of Finnair's cabin staff have used the aircraft's Wi-Fi network with customer IDs. There are written warnings and even some redundancies.

Matkustajat voivat kirjautua koneen wifi-verkkoon muun muassa Finnairin sovelluksen avulla. Kun matkustamohenkilökunta on käyttänyt verkkoa asiakkaan tunnuksilla, asiakas ei itse ole päässyt käyttämään verkkoa.

Passengers can sign in to the plane's Wi-Fi network using the Finnair app, for example. Once the network has been accessed by the cabin crew using the customer IDs, the customer himself has not been able to access the network.
https://www.iltalehti.fi/kotimaa/a/0...4-aa46c3e6975e
Old Oct 25, 19, 5:24 am

Programs: Drawer of Cards
Originally Posted by OH-LGG View Post
Sometimes If wi-fi is not working, it's not lack of coverage of satellites.

Iltalehti today:

https://www.iltalehti.fi/kotimaa/a/0...4-aa46c3e6975e
damn it, i thought the crew is entitled to use the wifi! Thats why is so slow!!!!
Old Oct 25, 19, 7:45 am

If they have access to coupons, why aren't they just using the coupons themselves instead of trying to login to passenger WiFi?
Old Oct 25, 19, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by mpkz View Post
If they have access to coupons, why aren't they just using the coupons themselves instead of trying to login to passenger WiFi?
Isn’t this a straight cut GDPR case?

As a customer, I should immediately know that my identity has been stolen.

For Finnair, this can get really expensive when the fine is defined.
Old Oct 25, 19, 9:47 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by JustFlyer View Post

Your identity has been stolen? What exactly do you mean? Of course the cabin crew has a list of pax names, status and seat numbers. The only thing they need to do is pick a name and log in with the seat number.
Old Oct 25, 19, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by ffay005 View Post
Your identity has been stolen? What exactly do you mean? Of course the cabin crew has a list of pax names, status and seat numbers. The only thing they need to do is pick a name and log in with the seat number.
Data breach in the way the way unauthorized persons (Finnair flight attendants) have been able to access my profile and therefore my personal data (on the account) has been disclosed.

The access has been unlawful and Finnair is required based on GDPR to inform the affected individuals.

Or is this not?

Anyhow, this is shameful for Finnair - on their data access practices and staff morale - and Finnair should consider what to do to regain customer confidence.
Old Oct 25, 19, 10:33 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Gold, Scandic L2
Finnair would be required to inform the passenger, if/when it becomes aware of an actual breach. But in this "hypothetical" case, Finnair is arguably a victim of their own employee. I'm not entirely sure what GDPR says of individual responsibilities, but surely Finnish laws forbade impersonation and data theft before GDPR came to be?
Old Oct 25, 19, 11:14 am

Programs: AY+ Lumo (OWE), Accor Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
No one has been able to access anyone’s profile. They’ve used someones surname and seat number to get complimentary wifi access. One doesn’t get logged in along in the process (or else many unauthorized people knowing my surname and seeing me onboard would’ve had access to my profile!)
Old Oct 25, 19, 11:14 am

Programs: AY PLT, AA PLT, DL FO, LH, EK, TK, IHG PLT w/AMB, Marriott Silver
I for one was surprised to hear that the crew does not have access to wifi while in-flight. I thought that it would be basic commodity in 2019 and the crews would need to have internet access for their duties. Well apparently not. As this is the case, this is of course very bad and completely unacceptable.
Old Oct 25, 19, 11:23 am

Programs: Only Gold card I have is at F24Seven :D
Originally Posted by JustFlyer View Post

I dont get this.
I would be rather happy that AY staff is Not allowed to use wifi inflighr but instead explore my personal data to learn about my details to such extent that they are fully aware of my preferences and hopefully aim their maximum attention to fulfill those.
Old Oct 25, 19, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QR PC Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, SK EB silver, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD, SJ Black
Using pax name and seat is either extremely ignorant (not understanding they are voiding the log in) or extremely careless.

As for not granting staff inflight wifi, well there might be a point to that. I know so many people thinking "i'm just going to check something quickly" and doesn't return to real life in under 30 minutes. People have no idea how much time they waste online (likeme replying to this - it took much longer than anticipated...)

Give wifi to staff who already think it is a bit scary to talk to customer and you'll get a self serivce airline...
Old Oct 25, 19, 12:57 pm

Programs: BA gold, OWE
Originally Posted by DALtoAAL View Post
I for one was surprised to hear that the crew does not have access to wifi while in-flight.
Well, the CSM has access on his/her corporation issued iPhone. This is the only device they can issue new vouchers. Sometimes there is no CMS on roster (short haul) and they can't fix the customer WiFi issues. On A350 CSM/CSD has full control of the A350 features (Lights, temperature...) on iPhone. By SOP there is always one crew member on A350 with the Airbus app, app can produce WiFi vouchers too.
Old Oct 25, 19, 1:05 pm

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), BW Diamond
Bit of fake news regarding the news headlines, very likely a case of just using the name+seat to gain wifi access so not at all a breach of data per se but surely a violation that could classified as theft. But, incredible nevertheless, can it really be a big thing or just few persons doing that for extended periods? I guess this can really occur only on LH flights, doubt cabin crew has that much free time to surf the web during SH hops.
Old Oct 25, 19, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Post Scriptum View Post
Bit of fake news regarding the news headlines, very likely a case of just using the name+seat to gain wifi access so not at all a breach of data per se but surely a violation that could classified as theft. But, incredible nevertheless, can it really be a big thing or just few persons doing that for extended periods? I guess this can really occur only on LH flights, doubt cabin crew has that much free time to surf the web during SH hops.
Well the talk on Jodel is that it is the various "Chinese" (prob inc. HKG, SIN etc.) crews that are responsible for this but Finnair can't say that because that would give SLSY more leverage to get rid of them
Old Nov 5, 19, 1:19 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Prince of Pastry, Chick-fil-A Silver

https://www.iltalehti.fi/kotimaa/a/d...e-44880a159b31

As per the IL article AY has fired crew members (amount unknown) for using wifi with passengers usernames

Now we know why the connection hasn't worked when it's the crew using our seat numbers

Search this Thread
Search Engine: