FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Finnair | Finnair Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus-636/)
-   -   Re-schedule for upgrade (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus/1991039-re-schedule-upgrade.html)

Markus Andersson Oct 12, 2019 11:36 am

Re-schedule for upgrade

Hello,

I have an upcoming flight with Finnair, AY68 KIX - HEL on Oct 17. I looked at the possibility to upgrade to Business class for this flight, but it shows 0 on the tool for checking on Finnair's website. However it is showing more than 5 on the flight departing later the same day, AY78. I can reschedule my flight for free, but as a Silver member I am a little hesitant. It will mean I have to stay in the airport for another 9 hours. With lounge access no problem, but changing flight and then staying in Economy (L) is kind of a waste of time.

How does this usually go? What are my chances.
I will monitor the availability as I can't change the flight until Monday anyway.

Input would be much appreciated.

spek Oct 12, 2019 12:14 pm

have you checked expertflyer?

Markus Andersson Oct 12, 2019 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by spek (Post 31621027)
have you checked expertflyer?

I think so, but I am not entirely sure what I am supposed to look at. Never used that website before or it might have to do with that my Pacific ocean ship internet connection is not loading things properly.
AY68: Showing one seat available.
AY78: Showing 10 seats available.

What conclusions I am supposed to come to by this I am not sure, but I guess 10 seats with only 4 days to go is good for my case.

intuition Oct 12, 2019 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Markus Andersson (Post 31620938)
... However it is showing more than 5 on the flight departing later the same day, AY78. I can reschedule my flight for free, but as a Silver member I am a little hesitant. ...

If tool shows availability, your upgrade request is handled immediately. So if your hesitation is only about if you'll have lounge or not (based on upgrade clearing) I'd say it is a safe bet. You could call and ask if they can confirm there really are seats and only then change departure and do the upgrade immediately.

Markus Andersson Oct 12, 2019 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by intuition (Post 31621107)
If tool shows availability, your upgrade request is handled immediately. So if your hesitation is only about if you'll have lounge or not (based on upgrade clearing) I'd say it is a safe bet. You could call and ask if they can confirm there really are seats and only then change departure and do the upgrade immediately.

To my understanding this is only a perk of Plat and Gold? For me as a Silver I will get the leftovers.

lkrt Oct 12, 2019 1:00 pm

If there is upgrade availability, as you describe, anyone can take it. Only if it’s more than 60 days to departure, it is reserved for Golds and Plats.

lento Oct 13, 2019 12:12 am

Originally Posted by Markus Andersson (Post 31621075)
I think so, but I am not entirely sure what I am supposed to look at. Never used that website before or it might have to do with that my Pacific ocean ship internet connection is not loading things properly.
AY68: Showing one seat available.
AY78: Showing 10 seats available.

What conclusions I am supposed to come to by this I am not sure, but I guess 10 seats with only 4 days to go is good for my case.

AY68 is selling only 1 J seat at the moment and obviously no upgrade availability.
AY78 has however U3 available. 3 seats available for upgrade by anyone.