Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
Originally Posted by Post Scriptum
HEL-SIN
Passengers: 4
Upgrade instrument: Points
Time of booking: T-180days
Time of upgrade request: T-180 days
Request-method: call
Upgrade cleared: N/A, retry today -150days and no success.
T-120 went by, no changes, called CS and no success either. What is worrying that plane is downgraded to low-J configuration, so likelihood of U has likely decreased a lot. Next check at T-90
Old Dec 14, 2019, 1:04 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
HEL-AGP
Passengers: 1
Upgrade instrument: Voucher
Time of upgrade request: T-25
Request-method: App
Upgrade cleared: T-10

FRA-HEL
Time of upgrade request: T-25
Request-method: App
Upgrade cleared: T-20
Old Dec 16, 2019, 5:29 am

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
MIA-HEL did not clear for my family at T-37h. In total 3 persons (2 reservations, 2+1), where the one was using my voucher and the two others were spouse awards. Sucks big time.

Still need to call them to hear if this is the final verdict. Also gives us some luggage issues. I have a MIA-HEL-ARN ticket, but luggage should only be checked to HEL. The family has tickets to HEL, but an allowance of only one checked bag, which isn’t enough. Can my allowance be used?
Old Dec 16, 2019, 5:43 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by niksal
MIA-HEL did not clear for my family at T-37h. In total 3 persons (2 reservations, 2+1), where the one was using my voucher and the two others were spouse awards. Sucks big time.

Still need to call them to hear if this is the final verdict. Also gives us some luggage issues. I have a MIA-HEL-ARN ticket, but luggage should only be checked to HEL. The family has tickets to HEL, but an allowance of only one checked bag, which isn’t enough. Can my allowance be used?
At least at LAX we managed to short check our suitcases to LAX-HEL instead of the LAX-HEL-FRA itinerary. However, we were also not flying the last leg, so asked the check-in agent to cancel our check-in for the HEL-FRA segment. It might be different if you are actually flying the HEL-ARN. Also, AFAIK, the possibility to short-check luggage is not published anywhere as an official possibility, so YMMV.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 6:24 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
... Can my allowance be used?
Luggage pooling was abandoned many years ago. YMMV though
Old Dec 16, 2019, 7:11 am

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
Ok. Calling didn’t help. I’m pretty sure two lucky ones got upgrades. Yesterday evening bcd availability showed 3 seats (I know, it’s not the whole
truth) in business, one in economy. Now it is 3 in economy and one in business.

My wife decided to spend 9k points on one additional piece of luggage. She has one as Gold. So that’s two, which should be enough.

My conclusion of this whole ordeal: Fly alone, or travel with your family in Economy. AY upgrades don’t work for a party larger than two.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Ok. Calling didn’t help. I’m pretty sure two lucky ones got upgrades. Yesterday evening bcd availability showed 3 seats (I know, it’s not the whole
truth) in business, one in economy. Now it is 3 in economy and one in business.

My wife decided to spend 9k points on one additional piece of luggage. She has one as Gold. So that’s two, which should be enough.

My conclusion of this whole ordeal: Fly alone, or travel with your family in Economy. AY upgrades don’t work for a party larger than two.
Really sad luck, I feel you. I was lucky to snatch 6 upgrades on MIA route but it was some 3 years ago and back then it was possible to get instant upgrades.
Nowadays with the new upgrade system I would not agree to bet on upgrades for a big group and this disturbs me too.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 8:06 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
not many airlines left that are generous with upgrades...
Old Dec 16, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
39 days left until my HEL-BKK flight and 8 seats left in J. Let’s see... I doubt my upgrade will get confirmed
Old Dec 16, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: AY+Plat
I am also counting down my HEL-BKK flight: 29 days left, 11 unassigned seats, still selling 9 J and lower number of C and D buckets. Waitlisted T50+ days
Old Dec 16, 2019, 9:41 pm
R2

Originally Posted by EuroFlash
39 days left until my HEL-BKK flight and 8 seats left in J. Let’s see... I doubt my upgrade will get confirmed
How do you know there are 8 seats left in J?

Airlines do not make that information publicly available. Seat maps are a completely unreliable source of flight loads. EF data shows how many seats at least are available in each different booking class (and the availability may differ for various points-of-sale). The real number of vacant seats on the flight could be more or it could be less because airlines overbook.
OH-LGG and Clydez like this.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 1:47 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
Originally Posted by R2
How do you know there are 8 seats left in J?

Airlines do not make that information publicly available. Seat maps are a completely unreliable source of flight loads. EF data shows how many seats at least are available in each different booking class (and the availability may differ for various points-of-sale). The real number of vacant seats on the flight could be more or it could be less because airlines overbook.
Good point and you are right actually. I just tried a dummy booking for 9 seats and it was not possible, then tried booking 8, which was possible. Besides that BCD shows 8 J available. But...... that amount has risen to 9 seats today.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 2:09 am

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo, LX Senator, SK Life-time Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
ZRH-HEL-ZRH
Time of upgrade request: T-244 / T-238
Request-method: Upgrade tool
Upgrade cleared: directly

I already booked some flights for next summer (August 2020) and noticed that there is good upgrade availability based on the upgrade tool. Both ways cleared directly, no wait list involved. I now have 15 forthcoming segments booked for which I have requested an upgrade (13 short-haul, 2 long-haul) and 14 out of the 15 have already cleared, only one wait listed. Much better than what this seemed to become based on the recent discussions here.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 2:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by R2
Seat maps are a completely unreliable source of flight loads.
Hm, why does the actual load ist often exactly like what I can see on EF or the AY seat map? Specially in J it makes no sense if seats are shown available - if they are not. And with any J booking on AY I always get a seat assigned, so seat maps are a pretty good guess and not completely unreliable. The only thing yo don t see on the seat map are the upgrades because of the overbooking situation in Y and people who are allowed to travel in J class but don t need a regular ticket for this.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 6:03 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Not everyone gets seats auto-assigned. If you book via OTA, or if you are on a codeshare, for instance. So it can very well be that the seat map shows 10 empty seats, while availability in reality is 2.

Availability tools never show more than 9 seats for any buckets, so J9 will only tell you there are at least 9 seats available, but it could be anything from 9 to 46. On the other hand, as J is the highest bucket, J3 should, in theory, mean that there are only 3 empty seats. But even this is more complicated. There might be seats reserved for codeshare partners, there might be seats reserved for Aurinkomatkat, there might be blokced seats because Y is so heavily overbooked that they will need to op-up, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.