Passport control somewhat caotic

Old Sep 11, 19, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Ibis Plat,
Passport control somewhat caotic

Noticed that the automated passport machines have been out of commission for a few days. Came in today , lengthy delay and no organisation. People jumping through barriers. And some people say Heathrow is bad considering it is a far busier airport. And don't get me started at the lounge above gate 23. Over crowded and the smallest male toilet I have come across. Very poor compared to the new lounge. Plenty of complaints heard and it's only a Wednesday afternoon!
esledo likes this.

Last edited by nivsy; Sep 11, 19 at 11:28 am
Old Sep 11, 19, 7:43 am

Yeah, I was seriously happy to be the first one in line coming from a flight from Japan to see that there's two manned booths (one EU and one !EU), don't want to know how long it took for the last ones to make it. I've also seen seriously chaotic .... going in to the non-schengen side.
That said, you really want to go to the lounge in the non-schengen side, the Finnair lounge at the gate 22 is a joke.
nivsy likes this.
Old Sep 11, 19, 8:07 am

Programs: SAS Silver, Finnair Gold, DL Silver Medallion
Can't say I disagree, especially the Schengen Lounge situation.
Old Sep 11, 19, 8:11 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum
Came back from DEL on Saturday. Due to the renovation works, no automatic passport control machine was in operation. There were three manned booths, two for "All passports" with long queues, and one of EU passports, with only 4 ppl in line. Stepped into that queue, but just when it was about to be my turn, a group of ~30 cabin crew showed up and started to skip the line, as that was also the "Crew priority" line. After the 5th or so crew members, one of them told me that I should go to another queue. Got royally pissed on this, as usually "all passport" queues proceed slower and they were anyway long, so I just told her that I'm staying there and as I'm alone and they are many, I also just going to be the next in line and with that I went to the immigration officer and was through in 20 sec.
Old Sep 11, 19, 8:15 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum
Originally Posted by elventhor View Post
That said, you really want to go to the lounge in the non-schengen side, the Finnair lounge at the gate 22 is a joke.
Is the Schengen lounge often full? Yes. Are there better lounges out there? Most certainly. But let's be real. HEL is not HKG or LHR. The AY Schengen side lounge has a lot of shortcomings, especially when compared to the Platinum wing on the other side of immigration, but it is NOT a bad lounge. If it is in your opinion, then I suggest to you to go to ARN, FRA, BUD, FCO, etc. etc. etc.
cistavoda, on22cz, lkrt and 7 others like this.
Old Sep 11, 19, 8:49 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Arrived there on Sunday, since I first went to the PW, passport control was a breeze. The Schengen lounge is for sure better then many lounges on airports of the size of HEL, the only thing missing are liquors - but hey they have Lonkero on tap.
Old Sep 11, 19, 10:30 am

Programs: anti-MaRiot SPG-P IHG-S HH-D LeClub/CC-G, BA/A3-G DL/AY-P, Octopus
There are several passport controls. The source airports not considered secure feed into the renovation area downstairs.
mpkz likes this.
Old Sep 11, 19, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by Steve_Hun View Post
Is the Schengen lounge often full? Yes. Are there better lounges out there? Most certainly. But let's be real. HEL is not HKG or LHR. The AY Schengen side lounge has a lot of shortcomings, especially when compared to the Platinum wing on the other side of immigration, but it is NOT a bad lounge. If it is in your opinion, then I suggest to you to go to ARN, FRA, BUD, FCO, etc. etc. etc.
Hey, whatever man.
I think that a lounge I can't even fit in is pretty bad. The food reminds me of school cafeteria in the worst possible way.
I usually opt for the priority pass lounge. I've been to worse lounges, too, but mostly better ones.
I don't really know why you're so defensive. Whatever, man.
esledo and nivsy like this.
Old Sep 11, 19, 11:57 am

Programs: SAS Silver, Finnair Gold, DL Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by elventhor View Post
The food reminds me of school cafeteria in the worst possible way.
+1

This is exactly my issue with the lounge in question. Complete with the lackluster drink selection I agree it's one of the worse OW lounges. I even prefer the dark and drab Admirals Club at ATL compared to the Schengen lounge.
FFlash, esledo and ffay005 like this.
Old Sep 11, 19, 2:41 pm

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo, LX Senator, SK Life-time Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I got to experiment the new e-gates yesterday (non-Schengen to Schengen). They had all kind of "nice" animations and sounds, but were not functional at all. First time ever I have had to stand in line for the e-gates. The gates gave up to 3 attempts for everybody. I managed to get it to work on my last chance (attempt #3 ). Those who failed 3 times were asked to go to the manual side. Further development work is clearly needed.
mpkz likes this.
Old Sep 11, 19, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Ibis Plat,
Unless I have missed it, the information that the gates are new and perhaps have technical issues could be better explained. Were they not trialed? The airline and airport are quite active on Instagram. I see nothing there on this issue? Simply having a sign saying gates not working is rather poor and not informative.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 19, 5:35 am

Why would you need to post an excuse? It doesn't make anyone's life better off. Reminds me of the UK with a gazillion "we are sorry for the inconvenience caused" signs everywhere - pointless. The gates right now are a joke, but hopefully they will be fixed. Were they trialed? Of course, they were in use for maybe two months (and yes, people have been complaining since the beginning).

Last edited by mpkz; Sep 12, 19 at 5:49 am
Old Sep 12, 19, 5:48 am

Programs: Drawer of Cards
Were these gates newly changed?
Asking as an non European and queuing every single LH with tourists. me usually takes less than 10sec but i queue anywhere from 5min-1h.
#feelmypain #addPRholderstogate
Old Sep 12, 19, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by Clydez View Post
Were these gates newly changed?
Asking as an non European and queuing every single LH with tourists. me usually takes less than 10sec but i queue anywhere from 5min-1h.
#feelmypain #addPRholderstogate
New gates were added a few months ago
Old Sep 12, 19, 5:55 am

Programs: Drawer of Cards
Originally Posted by mpkz View Post
New gates were added a few months ago
and the old gates were out dated? or you mean they added additional gates due to renovation?

The old gates seems to work well, from my wife's exp

Search this Thread