Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

What do you use amenity kit pouches for?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2019, 12:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Plat Lumo+LTG, FI Gold, DL Silver, BA, SK, AX Plat, Priority Pass, Marriott Ambassador & others

When I got my first business class amenity kit, I felt a bit special. Later, having collected quite a few, it doesn't quite feel as special anymore. Most of them tend to be of a decent quality pouch, the AY paper bag from a few years bag being the notable exception. I have used a few as carry on bag organizers and given a few away for my friends who don't travel quite as extensively. Any other creative ideas on how to re-purpose these for something useful?
Old Sep 11, 2019, 12:30 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by Trav1970
When I got my first business class amenity kit, I felt a bit special. Later, having collected quite a few, it doesn't quite feel as special anymore. Most of them tend to be of a decent quality pouch, the AY paper bag from a few years bag being the notable exception. I have used a few as carry on bag organizers and given a few away for my friends who don't travel quite as extensively. Any other creative ideas on how to re-purpose these for something useful?

My kids use them as penaalis and I use them for travel chargers cables etc plus foreign coins.

The mari mekko ones are quite popular amongst my friends unfortunately for them I dont fly Finnair as often as other airlines. I really liked the ones TP gives out in the sardine can variety 😂
Old Sep 11, 2019, 12:54 am

Programs: AY LUMO (500K+), Marriott Abassador, Hertz President Circle, Hilton Diamond
penaalis, cables, cosmetics, travel accessories - you just name it. though once did a shoutout to my network - it took minutes to "get rid of them" - was amazed myself
Old Sep 11, 2019, 1:10 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
I leave them in the airplane.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
My standard travel electronics accessory kit (cables, chargers, different plug tips, small battery,) lives in a LX F kit. A QR F kit serves as my travel "cosmetics" kit - everything that doesn't go into the 1L plastics bag. Some QF C kits hold assorted gizmos and other small-stuff-that-otherwise-would-be-lost-in-no-time. Mrs W uses several different Marimekko ones for her different beauty products (I will someday crack the code what goes into which one)

I/we gave away quite a few Marimekko ones and they were popular.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 1:23 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by kauppias
... I use them for travel chargers cables etc plus foreign coins.
Very similar use for me. One is for power plug adaptors, a Marimekko one. The Finnair ones are too small for many things, so I have a QR one with semi sturdy walls for pocket router, 4G dongle, selection of USB cables and a short TP-cable. A few of them make excellent use as Montessori materials for toddlers.

I also use a 2009 Finnair one as my general toilet bag.
Spoiler

Last usage is to keep them in a drawer and annoy the hell out of SO everytime I bring a new one home... Well, well, these days I tend to leave them in the plane unless there is a new formfactor/design I like or there is a contents I can use at destination.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 1:28 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by Trav1970
I just stack them in our bathroom to annoy the missus.
intuition likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 1:28 am

I have been using the old Air Canada one for YEARS to hold my shooting glasses and cleaning cloth. It could have been DESIGNED for that purpose!!!
Old Sep 11, 2019, 1:57 am

I just leave in the plane nowadays. There's nothing in them that I either need or don't already have in better quality.
Ed Size likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 2:35 am

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
I give them to my kids or put it in the charity collection bins. I had a nice Etihad shoulder bag one that lasted a few years for keeping passports/documents when travelling, eventually it wore out so I now use an emirates brown leather one. But as pointed out above, they are all pretty cheap quality.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 3:08 am

Programs: yes

Airline amenity kits. If you've packed your carry-on thoughtfully, you may not need an extra eye mask or socks, but the amenity kit is still very much a part of the premium air travel experience
Sozee likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 3:14 am

A protip for Finnair corporate shills reading this forum (haha as if they cared that much..); Let lesser than plats choose a free trough-the-flight internet over the amenity kit. Save money and the planet.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by elventhor
A protip for Finnair corporate shills reading this forum (haha as if they cared that much..); Let lesser than plats choose a free trough-the-flight internet over the amenity kit. Save money and the planet.
Or no kits as such but offer the items individually. If I only want earplugs and the sleeping mask, why do they give me a complete bag.

I leave the empty bags on the plane.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 3:50 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
They've tried individual offerings and I don't think it works well. The barf-bag held only few items and rest on request, and it was not a hit. For a while, they kept individual items in toilets which is a good solution for some kind of items, less so for others.

Offering individually (like upon request or from a tray service) also takes time from CC and I'd rather see they use that time on PDB, collecting coats and making sure customers are comfortably seated. And after take-off, getting drink/meal service going is probably the highest prio.
ffay005, SPBanker and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Weird or not, I keep mine for years. On the road they hold cables and dongles, chargers, thumb drives, my voice recorder, razor and small grooming items, etc. At home they store foreign currency, office supplies, business cards, etc. I have 10 or 12 in active use and a whole liquor box more on standby.
ffay005 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.