Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

What do you use amenity kit pouches for?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do you use amenity kit pouches for?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2019, 3:17 pm

I work at an adult school, as a counselor to mostly low income single mothers. I add feminine hygiene products to the bags and keep a basket full of them along with the toiletries I get from hotels. My students love them. Really helps with the pink tax.
spek likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I finally got to use the pouches themselves a few when I traveled to East Africa and had to use something other than plastic bags I normally use for various small items! I donated a couple of shopping bags full after Katrina and have been accumulating a alrge batch for eventual donation to a shelter.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
With so many needy people who can desperately use items from amenity kits-whether it be homeless shelters, women in domestic abuse shelters, orphanages, etc, surely there should be some way to get major airlines to NOT throw away partially emptied kits and recycle items for those in need. No problem with them taking back kits that have not been opened-that is wise.
I save all items that I don't use from amenity kits, plus the bags and unused hotel toiletries and bring them back home. People are SO grateful for these items and it costs me nothing to drop them off.
The next time you are tempted to leave an amenity kit on the plane-opened or not, please consider putting it to use for someone else if you can.
Thank you.
Ms.O likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 4:29 pm

I work abroad, so when I land, I stow it away in my hand luggage for onward travel. Handy if I'm stuck somewhere and need to use it.

Though on my return leg home I pack that one in my hold luggage, and take the new one as well when flying back business, and add both in the slowly increasing gaggle of the other ones at home.

The KLM ones seem good. Though I was surprised at getting one when I flew Air France Premium Economy.

This topic has got me thinking, when I finish work today I shall have to check I picked up the last one from my KLM flight as I normally stow them in my hand luggage on auto-pilot.

They'll come in use at some point, though I think my wife has ear marked them for jewllery!

Ahh....might be perfect for stowing whisky minitures on a trip :-)
Old Sep 11, 2019, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
I am finally able to fit all my toiletries in one Lan Air pouch and one 1 qrt zip lock bag. Years ago Lan had the most wonderful kits. Different one for each segment. One was perfect for iPad. AF soft bag is perfect for travel medicines and cables.

These days the kits are collected and donated to homeless shelters except for a few favorites. They are always a big hit at the shelters. I have been tempted to pickup those left behind but never did. I wish the airlines would collect them and donate them instead of sending them to the landfill.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
Good to know about this Ilove2fly. Which airlines do this if you happen to know?
I always hear a plea for those with spare currency to donate it but I am unaware if any airlines ask for unused amenity kit items. Probably a logistical issue as long haul flights need to be cleaned and turned around and I doubt cleaners have time to separate those items out. But at the least there could be a bin on the jetbridge for deplaning passengers to toss in unused items? Could be a "feel good" promotion for airlines with minimal effort on their part. Would be an easy thing to take those bins landslide for various charities?
Any thoughts on how this could be a really good worldwide effort?
Thank you
Old Sep 11, 2019, 10:36 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
A small DL Tumi one for my travel cords, plugs, and cards (Priority Pass, etc.) Stuff I need on every trip.
I've given away a lot of them. I don't really like the DL ones all that much.
But I use a TK one for my non-liquid toiletries.
And I really love the colorful AF one. I store my hair clippers and attachments in it! I wish I could schedule another Biz AF trip . . . .
Old Sep 12, 2019, 12:20 am

Programs: AY
Originally Posted by intuition
Very similar use for me. One is for power plug adaptors, a Marimekko one. The Finnair ones are too small for many things, so I have a QR one with semi sturdy walls for pocket router, 4G dongle, selection of USB cables and a short TP-cable. A few of them make excellent use as Montessori materials for toddlers.

I also use a 2009 Finnair one as my general toilet bag.

Spoiler

Last usage is to keep them in a drawer and annoy the hell out of SO everytime I bring a new one home... Well, well, these days I tend to leave them in the plane unless there is a new formfactor/design I like or there is a contents I can use at destination.
That brings back memories. I took the Finnair logo and put in my keychain. It has been there since, about 8 years
Spoiler

intuition and cistavoda like this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 1:18 am

Programs: Drawer of Cards
I put my switch in one, go pro in one. Wife use it for cosmetics, Mum uses it as second wallet for coins and other cards. Give it to friends & family.
and rest are at home collecting dust.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
I am finally able to fit all my toiletries in one Lan Air pouch and one 1 qrt zip lock bag. Years ago Lan had the most wonderful kits. Different one for each segment. One was perfect for iPad. AF soft bag is perfect for travel medicines and cables.
Especially TK but also RJ have always surprised me with their inconsistency of the kit. They have always been high quality, luxury branded kits, but on each and every leg different. One Jaguar branded (yes, the car maker!) from TK found new life as my Mom's tablet pouch (perfect for a 10'' tablet, weird size & shape for amenity kit)
Old Sep 12, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Delta’s Tumi hard shell the best

I use them to store charging cables, iPad connector for uploading photos and such. It’s the best!
Old Sep 13, 2019, 12:38 am

Programs: AY Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, GC Jade
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
SK used to have some 10+ years ago a genius solution - two identical pouches with zippers, velcroed together, one of which was transparent. I still have one in the car (yet another usage) Then thy developped away the concept
I still have my SK pouch from 2007 or so as my travel toiletry bag. Very durable material.

As for the AY pouches, my daughter seemed to be able to find good uses for infinite amounts of them. Somewhere around 50 pouches she finally said she might not need another one, though.
intuition likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 1:10 am

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo, LX Senator, SK Life-time Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by _ra_
I still have my SK pouch from 2007 or so as my travel toiletry bag. Very durable material.
Is it possibly this model? This has served as the cover for my razor for every trip since forever. At least the past 10 years. The razors have been replaced, but the package has survived. But now it probably is serving the last season.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Mine is very similar, the colour details are orange. You velcro the same size transparent twin on the other side and were good to go.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 12:13 am

Programs: AY Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, GC Jade
Originally Posted by mhle
Is it possibly this model? This has served as the cover for my razor for every trip since forever. At least the past 10 years. The razors have been replaced, but the package has survived. But now it probably is serving the last season.
No, mine is transparent with an orange zipper.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.