Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

200k tier point gift possible with non-flown points?

Old Sep 9, 19, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Apologies if this is a repeat.

I'm at 185k points with a tracking period ending at the end of September and a dilemma:
I have a longhaul work trip (in Y, with a European leg + the longhaul) that I can schedule any time between now and the middle of October. I have enough award points to buy up tier points. My goal, given that I will be aiming for status on two alliances next year, is to maximize points earnings in the next tracking period. However, I would also like to get the gift at 200k points.

Question: Am I eligible for the 200k tier point gift if I exchange points? If I also take advantage of the current discount and buy points, does that change anything? Or will I need to fly myself to 200k. So far all my points have been flown, not exchanged.
Old Sep 9, 19, 7:17 am

Programs: Drawer of Cards
What is on 200k that attract you so much? im getting the 40k everytime, other gifts are just useless. this year i wont reach 200k for the first time in my plathood. but i simply cant be bothered.
Buying award points doesnt make sense here, the conversion kills it. you will need to spent 45k to get that 40k gift.
why?
Old Sep 9, 19, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Well, I could for example fly half of the trip (12k points and exchange the rest), in which case 15k points buys 40k points
Old Sep 9, 19, 8:02 am

Programs: Drawer of Cards
Originally Posted by mpkz View Post
Well, I could for example fly half of the trip (12k points and exchange the rest), in which case 15k points buys 40k points
You mentioned that you are aiming for 2 FFPs next year. i don't know your flight pattern, but maybe save this trip for next Tracking period? since you are already qualified for plat.
But maybe you will be qualifying for lumo next year who knows
Old Sep 9, 19, 9:13 am

Programs: AY Plat, HH D, BW DS
I did this once, was a few thousand short of the 200k, and exchanged 15k awards to get over the threshold to receive the 40k gift. So can confirm it works!
ffay005, mpkz and FFlash like this.
Old Sep 9, 19, 10:52 am

Programs: Only Gold card I have is at F24Seven :D
Originally Posted by SuloL View Post
I did this once, was a few thousand short of the 200k, and exchanged 15k awards to get over the threshold to receive the 40k gift. So can confirm it works!
How fast did it post? I might also end up with some 198000p so definitely convert missing pts but how few days left until break should I leave is the tricky question.
Old Sep 9, 19, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FFlash View Post

How fast did it post? I might also end up with some 198000p so definitely convert missing pts but how few days left until break should I leave is the tricky question.
Also, how does it work with flights? If I fly on for example the 29th (arrive 30th) with a period ending on the 30th, will it post on time and will the posting time matter?
Old Sep 9, 19, 3:03 pm

Programs: AY Plat, HH D, BW DS
Originally Posted by FFlash View Post
IIRC, the converted points post instantly. Then I just waited until the 10th or so of the following month to get the email about the gift.
Old Sep 9, 19, 9:58 pm

Programs: AY Lumo, LH SEN
Also, how does it work with flights? If I fly on for example the 29th (arrive 30th) with a period ending on the 30th, will it post on time and will the posting time matter?
Had this case in the past and the gift mail wasn't sent automatically. An e-mail to CS helped releasing it, though.
Old Sep 10, 19, 3:25 am

Programs: AY LUMO (500K+), Etihad Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President Circle, Hilton Diamond
the gift-mail is usually sent the next month after hitting the target between dates 8-12.
CS can't really speed it up on normal basis...
to my understanding they were gone through even manually
Old Oct 10, 19, 10:58 am

Programs: AY Platinum, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I just received the 200k email from AY and went on to select the 4 European upgrade vouchers. When can I expect to receive them? The email said it could take 2-3 weeks; does it really take this long?
Old Oct 10, 19, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by ffay005 View Post
I just received the 200k email from AY and went on to select the 4 European upgrade vouchers. When can I expect to receive them? The email said it could take 2-3 weeks; does it really take this long?
Chose my 300k gift two days ago (points) and they were credited yesterday.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Oct 10, 19, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ffay005 View Post
I haven't received anything yet :/
Old Oct 10, 19, 12:19 pm

Typically tier point gift emails are sent around 10th day of next month.
Old Oct 10, 19, 12:41 pm

You donít need to wait for that email, just take an old link to the 200k selection and choose your gift.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: