Blueberry juice

Old Sep 6, 19, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Blueberry juice

Enjoyed blueberry juice from Zurich to Helsinki and Helsinki to Bangkok. Would this juice have had added sugar in it? Would there be better blueberry juice in Finland, such as freshly picked freshly squeezed in season or from the royal estate? Oh , and thank you to immigration for being so kind to me, reminded me of the world a couple of generations ago.
Old Sep 6, 19, 11:17 pm

Programs: QF WP
I think this is the brand- hopefully someone else can confirm

nutrition information is listed

Bonne Blueberry juice, 1 L | Products | Mehut ja soseet luonnon parhaista raaka-aineista
Old Sep 6, 19, 11:34 pm

Programs: AY GUEST
It's Marli Blueberry Juice nowadays

https://www.eckes-granini.fi/tuotehaku/tuote.php?id=811
nancypants and Clydez like this.
Old Sep 6, 19, 11:47 pm
R2

The difference being that the first one - which AY served when they first introduced blueberry juice on their flights - is real blueberry juice without added sugar. The current 'blueberry' juice is 10% blueberry - the rest is grape juice, water and added sugar.
nancypants and Clydez like this.
Old Sep 7, 19, 12:19 am

Programs: Only Gold card I have is at F24Seven :D
Slightly offtopic but on blueberry topic, last longhaul I asked about dessert icecream and they had only the milk one left. The FA was smart and saw my face and proposed ”I will put some fresh blueberries with it as sides and it will be good” which she did serve and it was good. Excellent pelisilmä
Old Sep 7, 19, 1:42 am

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo, LX Senator, SK Life-time Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Even more off-topic, but I think that the Jymy milk ice cream works nicely with the chili chocolate cake that is now served as dessert on many LH fligts. No need for blueberry flavors.
Old Sep 7, 19, 4:33 am

Royal estate?????
esledo likes this.
Old Sep 7, 19, 8:05 am

Programs: AY Lumo, A3 Gold, TK Elite Plus, BT VIP
Originally Posted by FFlash View Post
Slightly offtopic but on blueberry topic, last longhaul I asked about dessert icecream and they had only the milk one left. The FA was smart and saw my face and proposed ”I will put some fresh blueberries with it as sides and it will be good” which she did serve and it was good. Excellent pelisilmä
I like the idea unless I'd then be left without blueberries in my following rounds of Arctic Blue G&T. Being selfish about those
florens likes this.
Old Sep 7, 19, 8:08 am

Programs: Only Gold card I have is at F24Seven :D
Originally Posted by on22cz View Post
I like the idea unless I'd then be left without blueberries in my following rounds of Arctic Blue G&T. Being selfish about those

maybe there was just too much blueberries left over from other Light/Saver ticket pax who had gotten ”katotaan”-concept anterior
Old Sep 7, 19, 11:51 am

Programs: TK *G, BA Gold
Finnair aren't serving blueberry juice onboard, they serve bilberry juice - the berries are not the same thing. What Finns call "mustikka" are called bilberries in English.

I think in the announcements onboard they do talk about "blueberry juice" but if you look at the English side of the carton it accurately says bilberry.

Fazer on the other hand are happy to use the wrong name, they admitted to me in an email that their chocolate bar with "blueberries" is actually using bilberries, but would prefer to use a name that's more recognisable.
ffay005 and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Sep 8, 19, 3:43 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by riku2 View Post
Finnair aren't serving blueberry juice onboard, they serve bilberry juice - the berries are not the same thing. What Finns call "mustikka" are called bilberries in English.

I think in the announcements onboard they do talk about "blueberry juice" but if you look at the English side of the carton it accurately says bilberry.

Fazer on the other hand are happy to use the wrong name, they admitted to me in an email that their chocolate bar with "blueberries" is actually using bilberries, but would prefer to use a name that's more recognisable.
If I might refer to Wikipedia it says
Vaccinium myrtillus is a species of shrub with edible fruit of blue color, commonly called "bilberry", "wimberry", "whortleberry", or European blueberry
and in the link to bilberry it says
This article is about the "European" blueberry. For the "American" blueberry, see Blueberry.
(highlighting by Wikipedia)

So Fazer and AY have a point.
Old Sep 8, 19, 3:48 am

Programs: AY Silver, Accor Silver
I enjoyed the blueberry/bilberry juice when AY started to serve it. Nowadays I'd take orange juice whenever available.
Old Sep 8, 19, 6:46 am

Programs: AY Platinum, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by Jyker77 View Post
I enjoyed the blueberry/bilberry juice when AY started to serve it. Nowadays I'd take orange juice whenever available.
I used to have bilberry juice, too, back in the Bonne days. Nowadays I mostly just have a glass of water, and sometimes ask for a 50/50, ie half-water, half-Marli "bilberry" juice. It's too sweet to my liking, and like others have said, it isn't really bilberry or blueberry juice at all.
Old Sep 8, 19, 8:53 am

Programs: AY+ Plat
I've seen the FAs serving originally Russian bilberry juice, then it changed to Bonne, and lastly and currently it's been Marli. Bilberry is notorious for leaving difficult stains, and so especially in a shaky environment it doesn't seem like the best choice, but it's delicious and a nice unique touch for AY.
Old Sep 8, 19, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QR PC Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, SK EB silver, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD, SJ Black
If it is only "American blueberries" that can be called blueberries, it would be a very poor choice to carry that drink as a signature drink for a Finnish company, wouldn't it?

And I'd say they have been called blueberries in local language for thousands of years. It is just when you do a word-by-word translation to English you'll get an overlap with the English name given to the berry in NA (once the Europeans "discovered" America, that is)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: