Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does AY protect separate bookings?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2019, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Does AY protect separate bookings?

I recently booked a one way HEL-LAX J award ticket using AA miles. However I will start from Stockholm (ARN/BMA), and there was no availability to get the award as one ticket, so will have to buy a separate ticket for ARN/BMA-HEL. Does AY protect separate tickets? Looking at a BMA-HEL flight that arrives 1h 5min before my HEL-LAX flight.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
No, they won't
Old Jul 9, 2019, 2:22 pm

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
1h5min is not that much, BMA- flights are on my personal account (~100 flights in/out during last 1.5 year) not that reliable afternoon onwards due to tight equipment rotation having generated cascade effect (this exludes the BRA operated mid-day flight) and delays of 30min are very common. Due to the flight being flown by ATR, delayed departure means always certainly delayed arrival (no realistic time reserve or extra throttle) and stand arrival vice versa means delay on actually getting to Non-Schengen side. Without baggage, still manageable (with bus typically dropping pax to NS border) but highly risky, prepare to run...and hope for smooth border check.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I would advise against this pretty strongly.

If you miss your connection, you're on your own. Moreover, there's no way to get to LAX the same evening, so you'd need to spend the night at HEL and look for alternatives next morning.

The only thing AY allows is through-checked baggage, and only on 105 stock tickets, which you will not have as the award ticket is on 001 stock.

My first advice would be to wait – there's usually quite a lot of award availability on STO-HEL. It can/will open up closer to departure. Perhaps not on the flight you're looking at, but if you can be flexible and pick an earlier flight, you should be fine.

If the above is not possible, then I suggest you consider booking a flight that gives you a couple of hours at HEL. Should the incoming flight be an hour or so delayed, or even cancelled, you'll still make it.

My experience is solely from ARN, not BMA, but the afternoon flights on the ARN route tend to be a bit delayed. Nothing major, but it feels like 30+ minutes is no exception. Moreover, it's not uncommon for these flights to arrive at a stand (as it's peak hour at HEL) even if you're on a larger jet.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. Quite used to AA's generous protection on separate tickets, but guess not worth to risk it with AY.

I am flying on Easter Sunday (12APR), and currently there is only award availability on the 0830 departure from ARN, so will be about 6 hours between flights at HEL. Any tips on what to do? Enough time to leave the airport and venture into the city?
Old Jul 9, 2019, 3:12 pm

Book 08:30 and check back repeatedly. You'll be able to pick a better flight once availability opens up, trust me.

If you have bags, you can check them in at HEL right away when you arrive. HEL will also be very quiet at that time. There's time to take the train into the city if you so wish, and on Easter Sunday, most shops are open from noon onwards. If you stay at the airport and have access to the Platinum Wing lounge, it will be quiet and pleasant when you arrive (less so in the afternoon).
Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ffay005
Book 08:30 and check back repeatedly. You'll be able to pick a better flight once availability opens up, trust me.

If you have bags, you can check them in at HEL right away when you arrive. HEL will also be very quiet at that time. There's time to take the train into the city if you so wish, and on Easter Sunday, most shops are open from noon onwards. If you stay at the airport and have access to the Platinum Wing lounge, it will be quiet and pleasant when you arrive (less so in the afternoon).

Will use BA avios to make the booking, so I won’t be able to change the flight if availability opens up on later flights without paying extra fees. Guess I will book it now to guarantee that I get a flight using miles. Will go into town during the layover. Is there anywhere to store carry on luggage at HEL?
Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by B747forever

Will use BA avios to make the booking, so I won’t be able to change the flight if availability opens up on later flights without paying extra fees. Guess I will book it now to guarantee that I get a flight using miles. Will go into town during the layover. Is there anywhere to store carry on luggage at HEL?
With Avios you’d only lose the paid cash if you cancel and it’s less than the £35($50?) change fee, so cancel-and-rebook might be best course (I have no idea what TFCs are on that route).
Old Jul 10, 2019, 5:24 am
Suspended

Just pay for ARN/BMA-HEL, it's very early now but typically a month or so in advance you'll be able to get a flight from €75 or less. Not really worth the miles you'd need to spend.
esledo likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by etiene

With Avios you’d only lose the paid cash if you cancel and it’s less than the £35($50?) change fee, so cancel-and-rebook might be best course (I have no idea what TFCs are on that route).

The flight will cost 6000 avios and $65 in taxes/fees. So will be charged the full amount to cancel and rebook. Not worth it.

Originally Posted by mpkz
Just pay for ARN/BMA-HEL, it's very early now but typically a month or so in advance you'll be able to get a flight from €75 or less. Not really worth the miles you'd need to spend.
The thing is that I will be traveling back home to LAX with another person that is starting the trip in STO. We want to get the same flights all the way to LAX, and currently AY/BA have good fares for ARN/BMA-HEL-LAX-LHR-ARN for the dates that person need, so don't want to make him wait.

One more question, does someone as BA Silver/OW Sapphire have free seat selection and 1 free check in bag on basic economy fares operated by AY? Does the ticketing/marketing airline matter to get those benefits with AY?
etiene likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:17 pm
Suspended

What do you mean by basic economy? OWS should have free seat selection excluding economy comfort seats (extra legroom seats at the front with noise cancelling headphones and amenity kits) in almost all cases. If it is on AA stock then you need to call/use AY chat to choose seat if you don't get an AY reservation number (but usually you do?)
Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mpkz
What do you mean by basic economy? OWS should have free seat selection excluding economy comfort seats (extra legroom seats at the front with noise cancelling headphones and amenity kits) in almost all cases. If it is on AA stock then you need to call/use AY chat to choose seat if you don't get an AY reservation number (but usually you do?)
Basic economy is the cheapest fare without any bags/seat selection. Believe AY call it "light". For instance with AA when you book the basic/light economy fare you don't get free seat selection regardless of status.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:51 pm

I recently booked a one way HEL-LAX J award ticket using AA miles.
Will use BA avios to make the booking, so I won’t be able to change the flight if availability opens up on later flights without paying extra fees.
There’s no need to use Avios for a separate STO-HEL booking. Just amend the AAward ticket. That way, you can also make changes later on.

Award tickets do not book into ”Basic Economy”. In Y, you’ll have a baggage allowance of 1. You will even be able to assign a regular seat free of charge.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ffay005
There’s no need to use Avios for a separate STO-HEL booking. Just amend the AAward ticket. That way, you can also make changes later on.

Award tickets do not book into ”Basic Economy”. In Y, you’ll have a baggage allowance of 1. You will even be able to assign a regular seat free of charge.
Tried to do that, but AA is unable to add the ARN-HEL segment.

As someone else will travel with me they will have to book a separate round trip tricket (ARN-LAX), which will book into basic economy. That person is BA Sapphire, thus asked about seat selection/luggage on such a fare.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:31 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
One more question, does someone as BA Silver/OW Sapphire have free seat selection and 1 free check in bag on basic economy fares operated by AY? Does the ticketing/marketing airline matter to get those benefits with AY?
Wasn't it regarding the checked bag the rules of the marketing airline, but if the operating airline is BA, then it is BA's rules?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.