Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair aims for five stars in Skytrax

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair aims for five stars in Skytrax

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
Originally Posted by warakorn
I am really disappointed that Topi Manner is falling for them (Skytrax).
Well at least we can expect some decent improvements in the (near) future, instead of these everlasting “enhancements”
ffay005 likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 1:10 pm
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Of the "millennials", and of them instead of Expedia or Trivago - who in the hot place beneath supposedly - would care about such ratings or even know of them?

I know many "millennials" very keen on hotel and airline loyalty programs.

And about the thing far-east companies flying directly to non-major EU-destinations - there might likely to be very many cough ups... So I still believe in AY.
NoWindowSeat likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
AY longhaul catering has been top notch lately.
Well, there's no accounting for taste. IMO the longhaul main courses are pretty simple, the same style as in a workplace canteen. The food tastes good, but it's far from top notch.
esledo likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by TTL
Of the "millennials", and of them instead of Expedia or Trivago - who in the hot place beneath supposedly - would care about such ratings or even know of them?
I wonder on what grounds millennials, or anyone else for that matter, buy their tickets. My guess is that anyone who pays the tickets himself and is not a loyalty program fan goes to a search engine or OTA, types in London to Tokyo and picks whatever is cheapest or most convenient. Yes, if AY is among the cheapest or most convenient ones, than maybe someone who has flown them before picks them again, even paying a little extra. But I would still assume people 1) don't want to fly certain airlines, so they don't consider them no matter what the price is, 2) want to pay as little as possible, 3) want to transit as smoothly and quickly as possible.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 10:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by r2d2
The food tastes good
This is really all you can hope for when it comes to airline food. It's an elusive goal for most other airlines.
mrow likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:39 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
Originally Posted by ffay005
I wonder on what grounds millennials, or anyone else for that matter, buy their tickets. My guess is that anyone who pays the tickets himself and is not a loyalty program fan goes to a search engine or OTA, types in London to Tokyo and picks whatever is cheapest or most convenient. Yes, if AY is among the cheapest or most convenient ones, than maybe someone who has flown them before picks them again, even paying a little extra. But I would still assume people 1) don't want to fly certain airlines, so they don't consider them no matter what the price is, 2) want to pay as little as possible, 3) want to transit as smoothly and quickly as possible.
I’m a milennial, and while most of my milennial friends go for the cheapest possible I tend to avoid certain airlines whenever possible.

I avoid VN for example due to 4 very ...... experiences with them and airport staff. I avoid China Southern as I hear the same about them. I avoid the Gulf states and other Arabic/Islamic countries as “my kind of people” is totally unaccepted there and out of principle I’d rather not fund those states.

I do often filter for OW flights (Im OWE) but for shorthaul flights to for ex. Spain I’d rather choose Easyjet over Iberia. As the latter has some ridicilous prices.

So for me shorthaul: price is very important, a price difference of about €50 or higher causes me to switch to a carrier of choice (instead of my preferred ones)

For longhaul: airline is more important. I’d easily pay €250 more for an airline I trust. If China Southern offers a flight to Bangkok for €400, and Finnair for €650. I’d definitely choose the latter. If Lufthansa is €500 I think I might still choose Finnair because of all the perks it gives me due to my Platinum status

harri, ffay005, SPBanker and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:28 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
In my experience every airline which aims to become a "5 Star" airline is loosing the focus on the customer. It´s more media, headline and picture focused then. Loyalty programs are never part of the goal. Better champagne, more food options, Limousine rides for a few, fancy lounges etc.etc.. It´s a thing to impress the masses who fly once in a while (and they LOVE to travel on a 5* airline, as well as they LOVE to stay in a 5* hotel). The experienced traveller choose the good airline and the good hotel over the "5 stars". Just do yourself a favour and have a look how much 5 star hotels around - and how many of them are actual good. Hoping the best, I see wonderful meal, fancy lounges and rock bottom prices aimed to a loyal returning guest.
intuition and FFlash like this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Everybody tries to guess "what millennials want?" and aligns the strategy accordingly.

Well, here's the conclusive answer: A safe, reliable and cheap tattoo-removing process. And this not later when their kids are old enough to ask "Mom, what's a tramp-stamp?"

But I don't think that AY will move into this niche, not even in C.

Old Jun 24, 2019, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was happy to hear about the long haul refresh (A333 only?)

For the digital services - please, please make the AY website usable. Not crashing, not 404-ing, just working.

As for the 5* label. It's just that - a marketing gimmick. Sitting 10hrs in the middle seat of a 3-4-3 cabin won't get better just because up front they serve seared panda liver on the dolphin steaks.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 11:51 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Ed Size
In my experience every airline which aims to become a "5 Star" airline is loosing the focus on the customer. It´s more media, headline and picture focused then. Loyalty programs are never part of the goal. Better champagne, more food options, Limousine rides for a few, fancy lounges etc.etc.. It´s a thing to impress the masses who fly once in a while (and they LOVE to travel on a 5* airline, as well as they LOVE to stay in a 5* hotel). The experienced traveller choose the good airline and the good hotel over the "5 stars". Just do yourself a favour and have a look how much 5 star hotels around - and how many of them are actual good. Hoping the best, I see wonderful meal, fancy lounges and rock bottom prices aimed to a loyal returning guest.
I was about to write something very similiar.

What is going to matter is bells&whistles that impresses infrequent flyers.

I doubt millenials per se would be bothered with Skytrash, they are more likely to be impressed by a fancy review from a youtuber. But on the fringe skytrash could matter. I remember as rookie buying in on the FInnair marketing of "youngest fleet in the world". It sounded cool and made me think the planes were something special - but they still had OH-LQA et.al. - and at that point in time I didn't realise all airlines must renew their fleet at some point and if you have an influx of brand new planes one week, you are likely to have a very young fleet on average. That week...
Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As QR is in the red, we can safely say that it is the Qatari gov't subsidizing travel on QR, not the other way round.
mpkz likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Yank big three allege that QR received $16,5b gov't subsidies between 2004-2015
Old Jun 25, 2019, 2:01 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, LX SEN, Marriott Titanium
Lufthansa is already a "5 star airline" and with the constant improvements AY has made in the last years it's no contest in my opinion, AY is simply a superior product. Try flying on LH's A350 in J and then compare it to AY's A350, the difference is like day and night.
mrow likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 2:32 am

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
Originally Posted by EuroFlash
I avoid VN for example due to 4 very ...... experiences with them and airport staff. I avoid China Southern as I hear the same about them. I avoid the Gulf states and other Arabic/Islamic countries as “my kind of people” is totally unaccepted there and out of principle I’d rather not fund those states.
Are you also avoiding petroleum-based products/petrochemicals made from oils from those gulf states?

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
I was happy to hear about the long haul refresh (A333 only?)
What A333 refresh? To match current A350 or more like next-gen seatings? That would be good indeed ... will board AY5 soon and thinking about the monitor I will have to stare at for the next 9 hours makes me shudder.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 3:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Lufthansa is already a "5 star airline" and with the constant improvements AY has made in the last years it's no contest in my opinion, AY is simply a superior product. Try flying on LH's A350 in J and then compare it to AY's A350, the difference is like day and night
btw: I am selling the brand "5 star airline" to any airline, which pays me EUR 2.99. It is very affordable price. If you pay it to me, you can call yourself a "5 star airline".
How much did Lufthansa pay for Skytrax consulting - how much did Finnair pay?
ffay005 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.