Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

AY Platinum Wing Lounge at HEL in non-Schengen area (re-opened 1 June 22)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AY Platinum Wing Lounge at HEL in non-Schengen area (re-opened 1 June 22)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: AY+Plat
Originally Posted by FlyeBye
From the official wording I would say OW Sapphires don't have access at all. OW Emerald is mentioned as having access, while the exception for the time until the new business lounge will be opened is only for AY Gold.
That is correct. Short term access is only for AY Gold.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I had my first visit to the Platinum Wing while connecting to my JAL flight to Tokyo.

While it is a huge improvement over the old Premium Lounge, I am not completely won over. It has a quite sterile feel to it, a bit like the waiting room in upscale medical clinic in the Nordic region.

The selection of drinks is quite good, though I am certainly not a fan of the current rosé champagne. I did not try the food as I was not hungry. Though I will give them give them a lot of credit for creating a serviced dining area. Though they were clearly short of tables when I took a spin around.

All in all, it does surpass what a lot of airlines offer at their home bases in Europe. But I still prefer the Cathay F lounge or the Qantas lounge in Heathrow. Though for the Qantas lounge, it will probably depend strongly on whether it is within or outside the hours of the serviced dining area I am measuring against.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 5:38 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I had my first visit to the Platinum Wing while connecting to my JAL flight to Tokyo.

While it is a huge improvement over the old Premium Lounge, I am not completely won over. It has a quite sterile feel to it, a bit like the waiting room in upscale medical clinic in the Nordic region.

The selection of drinks is quite good, though I am certainly not a fan of the current rosé champagne. I did not try the food as I was not hungry. Though I will give them give them a lot of credit for creating a serviced dining area. Though they were clearly short of tables when I took a spin around.

All in all, it does surpass what a lot of airlines offer at their home bases in Europe. But I still prefer the Cathay F lounge or the Qantas lounge in Heathrow. Though for the Qantas lounge, it will probably depend strongly on whether it is within or outside the hours of the serviced dining area I am measuring against.
sterile, medical clinic?? Where were you? If this was hospital look, what was the old then? A surgery room x1000?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by FFlash

sterile, medical clinic?? Where were you? If this was hospital look, what was the old then? A surgery room x1000?
Sterile waiting room. Not the actual medical rooms. And not in your standard public hospital of course.

It is a much nicer lounge than the previous iteration, and overall a good lounge, but the design is not, in my view, very welcoming. In that aspect the old lounge did have a better feel.

I'm terms of where I was, I do hope I was in the Platinum Wing next to gate 52, and not in a parallel universe somewhere.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: AY+ Lumo (LTG), LH SEN
Sterile waiting room. Not the actual medical rooms. And not in your standard public hospital of course.
Quite impressed with the level of hospitals you are visiting!
ffay005, Ed Size, mhle and 6 others like this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore

It is a much nicer lounge than the previous iteration, and overall a good lounge, but the design is not, in my view, very welcoming. In that aspect the old lounge did have a better feel.
Actually I like the new design, it is kind of edgy for a luxury lounge, and you can see that this is by purpose - they say Bye-bye to the Ikea and Asian chic which is all over the place nowadays.

I really will take parts of the design into my next project, as it is not boring at all. I like the tiled columns and the naked black painted radiators. Also the black/dark overall look is something you don t have too much around. It´s more bright colours you will find at the waiting room.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ed Size
Actually I like the new design, it is kind of edgy for a luxury lounge, and you can see that this is by purpose - they say Bye-bye to the Ikea and Asian chic which is all over the place nowadays.

I really will take parts of the design into my next project, as it is not boring at all. I like the tiled columns and the naked black painted radiators. Also the black/dark overall look is something you don t have too much around. It´s more bright colours you will find at the waiting room.
Here i will allow me to ask were we in the same lounge. Despite people finding my comments of the lounge being a bit dull and boring in decor, I don't find it a bad lounge, but calling it a luxury lounge is missing the mark quite a bit. It is an airline lounge, there are far too many people with access to get a luxury lounge out of it. I can't even think of an airline lounge I have been to that would deserve the term luxury.

Lufthansa F terminal gets close in services and offerings, but the style is also a bit dull and industrial. The Pier F in Hong Kong probably gets the term from decor, but service is not quite up there. Take the best of the two, and keep the access as restrictive as the LH F terminal, then we might get there.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 4:46 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
If I'm flying in business class (JFK-HEL-HKG) and have OW Sapphire status...can I access the new Platinum Wing lounge during my layover?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GNRMatt
If I'm flying in business class (JFK-HEL-HKG) and have OW Sapphire status...can I access the new Platinum Wing lounge during my layover?
No. For a short while when they are finishing the J lounge, AY Plus sapphire members can use the Platinum Wing, but that is not extended to OWS generally
Old Jul 31, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
No. For a short while when they are finishing the J lounge, AY Plus sapphire members can use the Platinum Wing, but that is not extended to OWS generally
Which lounge will I have access to then as a business class flyer in HEL?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 5:33 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
Which lounge will I have access to then as a business class flyer in HEL?
The Finnair Business Lounge that is partially completed with limited food and drinks. Alternatively you can use the Plaza Premium lounge or the Almost@Home Lounge if you have Priority Pass.

You can also see the Helsinki meetup thread if anyone happens to be at HEL the same time as you and guest you in to the Plat Wing.

Last edited by miamiflyer8; Jul 31, 2019 at 5:39 pm
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:33 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, TK Elite
I can't even think of an airline lounge I have been to that would deserve the term luxury.
I have: QF MEL F.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
The Finnair Business Lounge that is partially completed with limited food and drinks.
Are there at least showers in there?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by juhanh
I have: QF MEL F.
Is that much better than the Sydney one?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:52 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Is that much better than the Sydney one?
Not in my opinion. I actually like the QF F lounge in SYD a little bit better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.