Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

AY Platinum Wing Lounge at HEL in non-Schengen area (re-opened 1 June 22)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AY Platinum Wing Lounge at HEL in non-Schengen area (re-opened 1 June 22)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by remymartin
QF LHR gin lounge has about 15 gins and several tonics. It's the best,consistent feature of the lounge.
It is indeed an excellent feature. And I do sometimes stop by for a G&T before heading for an over better lounge. (hello Cathay F I am looking in your direction)
remymartin likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 5:08 am

Programs: AY+ Plat basic
QF LHR gin lounge has about 15 gins and several tonics. It's the best,consistent feature of the lounge.
They also have recipes for different G&Ts including a specific tonic, garniments and sometimes even a special ice cube with some bitter drops etc inside. If you take their Botanist 22 gin (my favourite of the range, distilled at a well reputed Bruichladdich whisky distillery), you get an orange ice cube. All tonics (as far as I know) are of Fever Tree though.

Imo QF a la carte breakfast squid is simply delicious. I haven't been that impressed with CX F food itself but the restaurant setting (thai 5* hotel meets kaurismäki simplicity) is wonderful. In fact, I've had better food in CX J lounge. Their drinks are not that special either (except cathay delight). If you're a connosseur of good drinks, I would definitely go to BA F. Those champagnes are much better than in the other LHR lounges.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by kanamurva
They also have recipes for different G&Ts including a specific tonic, garniments and sometimes even a special ice cube with some bitter drops etc inside. If you take their Botanist 22 gin (my favourite of the range, distilled at a well reputed Bruichladdich whisky distillery), you get an orange ice cube. All tonics (as far as I know) are of Fever Tree though.

Imo QF a la carte breakfast squid is simply delicious. I haven't been that impressed with CX F food itself but the restaurant setting (thai 5* hotel meets kaurismäki simplicity) is wonderful. In fact, I've had better food in CX J lounge. Their drinks are not that special either (except cathay delight). If you're a connosseur of good drinks, I would definitely go to BA F. Those champagnes are much better than in the other LHR lounges.
Unless they changed the champagne selection in the BA lounges since Tuesday last week, the best you can do with them is making mimosas. Tee Castlebau is dreadful, and the Jeeper rosé is passable, but still better as a mimosa. Unless of course you are referring to The Concorde Room
Old Jun 14, 2019, 5:50 am

Nope, I was referring to Jeeper rosé indeed, imo it was wonderful! A great find for the price (62€ in Alko). When I was there, the other one was Henriot (blanc de blancs if I remember correctly). A really nice champagne as well that beats those Moëts (and especially that ay crap) easily. Too bad their food was nothing special. Apparently same stuff than for AA (at least during breakfast).
Old Jun 14, 2019, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nope, I was referring to Jeeper rosé indeed, imo it was wonderful! A great find for the price (62€ in Alko). When I was there, the other one was Henriot (blanc de blancs if I remember correctly). A really nice champagne as well that beats those Moëts (and especially that ay crap) easily. Too bad their food was nothing special. Apparently same stuff than for AA (at least during breakfast).
Taste and flavour is something that can be discussed. An Henriot blanc de blanc would far beat the Castlenau.

The Jeeper Is passable, but I can think of quite a few things I'd rather buy. As a frame of price reference what would a Veuve Clicqout Rosé check in at in Alko?
kanamurva likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Taste and flavour is something that can be discussed. An Henriot blanc de blanc would far beat the Castlenau.

The Jeeper Is passable, but I can think of quite a few things I'd rather buy. As a frame of price reference what would a Veuve Clicqout Rosé check in at in Alko?
Same price (62e). Haven't tasted that one myself. I'm not a big champagne geek but the ones available in BA during my visits really suited me. Sad to hear Henriot is gone tho.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Same price (62e). Haven't tasted that one myself. I'm not a big champagne geek but the ones available in BA during my visits really suited me. Sad to hear Henriot is gone tho.
The Henriot comes and goes.

There is no way I'd pay the same for the Jeeper as the for the Veuve. As I don't have to pay for the branding package of Veuve, I would expect a far better quality to trigger the same price.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 6:52 am

Smaken är som baken - delad. End of OT, but imo a separate thread concentrating on LHR lounges would be nice since it's a very natural destination for those who want to enjoy good quality lounges.
CPH-Flyer likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
As any gin bar would have, no? Please have some G&T in Spain and you will be amazed. In the QF gin bar I saw at least two different Fever-Tree tonics on my last trip about two weeks ago. Will do thorough field research in about two weeks and report back somewhere else (I'm straying even further off-topic, sorry!)
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
imo a separate thread concentrating on LHR lounges would be nice since it's a very natural destination for those who want to enjoy good quality lounges.
The BA forum has several threads about LHR T3 OneWorld lounges. This is the main thread.
esledo and kanamurva like this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:28 pm

Programs: AFKL PLT, BA Gold, SK Gold, AY Gold, A3 Silver, LH FTL, IHG Gold, Marriott Silver
I spent few hours in Platinum Wing yesterday while waiting for the departure of QR308 and the first impressions were quite positive. This is clearly above the old Premium Lounge, which was very Ikeasque. PW is completely different in its decor, as the photos here have displayed. Lots of dark and warmer tones, which would also look great in Finnair A330/350 cabins (if only!) in my opinion. Catering is also better than it used to be, there are lots of options on the buffet, although I found the a la carte menu bit weak. But then again, this is not a first class lounge. Some points for improvement:
-water for tea was luke warm
-several USB-ports were not working, don't know if they are just not connected yet or are they malfunctioning
-as a Coke Zero addict, there are no more fridges for self service soda's, everything is from the bar
And some interesting points:
-the waiter (not the regular bartender) asked me if I want ice on my GT.....?
-when I was at the buffet I heard a long story about a dissatisfied customer when two waitresses were discussing about the incident right in front of me and totally ignoring me...not cool!
All in all, I can say that Finnair did good job with the lounge and it was worth all the anxiousness and waiting!
Couple of pictures from the buffet and bar:

Old Jun 14, 2019, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by DALtoAAL
-as a Coke Zero addict, there are no more fridges for self service soda's, everything is from the bar
It was like this in old premium lounge for over year. I, for one, complained about it and at some point they added it.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 5:46 pm

They have way more, probably 20+. Last time I missed my connecting flight due to fog and sampled 14 different GTs and they had plenty more left.
kanamurva likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 2:30 am

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE)
Seems like a pretty decent booze selection. How about beers? They still have the same Brooklyn, Koff Porter etc?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I don't really know what to think. Today started off with a megaslow security queue at T2 because the priority line had closed at 9 pm. The main line was full of people who had never seen an airplane before, so each and every item of make up had to be removed separately etc.

And the lounge. It turns out that à la carte is only available five hours a day, from noon until 5 pm. The buffet was not that different from the previous Premium Lounge buffet. The bar looked nice, but with only two bartenders, it was a slow affair.

Before the midnight wave, the lounge is by no means crowded, but it's not empty either, and most seats in the seating area behind the buffet are in groups of four. Not ideal for someone travelling alone.

So, I'm not overwhelmed. But this is definitely better than the terrible school cafeteria we had to endure for so long.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.