Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

AY Platinum Wing Lounge at HEL in non-Schengen area (re-opened 1 June 22)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AY Platinum Wing Lounge at HEL in non-Schengen area (re-opened 1 June 22)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2019, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Based on the few reports and photos today, it looks like AY has definitely upped their game!
Old Jun 5, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
Good timing - LHR coming up next week!
Old Jun 5, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: AFKL PLT, BA Gold, SK Gold, AY Gold, A3 Silver, LH FTL, IHG Gold, Marriott Silver
I'm flying HEL-DOH on QR308 next week, hopefully they let me in PW then!
Old Jun 5, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: AY+Plat
QR 308 should be Ok. They have denied me only on QR 302, of course for other lounge.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by lkrt
Based on the few reports and photos today, it looks like AY has definitely upped their game!
Yes, I was hanging on the door when it finally opened at 12:30, so I was one of the very first guests in the lounge:
Still builders and cleaners at work with the fine tuning..
Definitely they upped their game, havn´t seen anything in Europe like it:
First a very nice and spacious bar area, with top shelf liquor like Hendrick´s, and rose champagne (same brand though...).
Also innovative offerings like champagne with water melon foam. but maybe that was for today only.

After that some quite private "shell chairs" at the right hand wall.
In the centre, round dining room tables offering a la carte meals, quite limited offerings tough, one meat, one fish and one vegetarian + two fruit desserts.
At the back, a buffé with quite some selection of hot and cold stuff, included hand peeled shrimps, soups, salmon pork, fish etc..
Unfortunately, AY seems to go over the top with the slow cooking. Today I first tried some slow cooked pork from the buffé, then ordered the beef cheek from the a la carte meny, only to be served a slow cooked beef neck onboard... :-(
I don´t eat fish, but it looked like the same issue there.

Then a round dessert table. It looked very nice at first, but at a closer inspection it only offered the similar small bites that´s been offered at the two other AY lounges for quite some time now.
However the cheese offerings looked much better than before.

To the left of the buffé there was a huge lounge area behind a long dark curtain, with some view over the piers. Looked nice and relaxed with cosy laidback chairs.

And to the left of the entrance where the bathrooms etc. A new thing here was that there were separate changing/shower areas for gents and ladies.
But the sauna was still shared. By some strange reason, the ladies hadn´t felt comfortable with showering in the open outside the old sauna I was told...
There should also be some relax rooms in this area, but I had no time to visit those. Hopefully, they will now offer flat beds instead of the extremely curved ones in the old premium lounge.

To sum it up, a very nice lounge that can compete with almost anything I´ve seen.
But they should really make sure the a la carte offerings vary more from the buffé + offer more sophisticated desserts.

(Sorry for no pics, I was a bit short of time, and I´m sure the net will be flooded with nice pics of the faciilities anyway...)
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Finally, and I booked all upcoming flights with the tightest possible connection :-( But if checking the rules this is clearly a a bummer if enforced:
when the departure flight leaves from the non-Schengen area and is operated and marketed by a oneworld airline.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:23 am

Is there any view to the tarmac?
Old Jun 5, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat basic
Thanks for the reports so far! Keep them coming! I would be very much interested in the drinks selection: hendricks is still not any superpremium gin, the finnair fine champers they had in the premium lounge already and Camus XO in cognacs is hard to beat. But how about whiskies? And some better beers? LH wines or even something better?
Old Jun 5, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo, LX Senator, SK Life-time Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nordic
Is there any view to the tarmac?
Great views to the tarmac. The difference to the old Premium Lounge is that this one is more open and light. One can follow the tarmac movements even from the salad bar.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold
Will this lounge be open to OWE?
Old Jun 5, 2019, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by kanamurva
Thanks for the reports so far! Keep them coming! I would be very much interested in the drinks selection: hendricks is still not any superpremium gin, the finnair fine champers they had in the premium lounge already and Camus XO in cognacs is hard to beat. But how about whiskies? And some better beers? LH wines or even something better?
Maybe I´ve missed it, but I never saw any rose champers in the old premium lounge.
Henrdrick´s I´m sure many would regard as a super premium gin, but perhaps there where also those Finnish brands etc, I was a little stressed..
Camus XO was on the shelf, sorry that I´m not much into whiskey so I didn´t notice.
Wines seemed to be great the little I could try those, some very nice Margeaux for my main and some (not chilled enough) Riesling with the shrimps.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
Also Gold pleb +family was let in today after rush hour so AY also keeps up that part of the bargain, quite nice.
Are the drinks more or less the LH J beverages or something extra?
Old Jun 5, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by TheFlyingCyclist
Will this lounge be open to OWE?
Yes
  • Available exclusively for Finnair Plus Platinum Lumo members (+ four guests) and Platinum members (+ one guest), and oneworld Emerald members (+ one guest), when the departure flight leaves from the non-Schengen area and is operated and marketed by a oneworld airline. When open, Finnair Platinum Wing will also be available for Finnair Plus Gold members (+ one guest) until the renovation in the Finnair Business Lounge is completed in the autumn. Access may be limited during peak hours.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
I hope AY at least kept their drinks selection from the former Premium Lounge. That would by memory mean Napue, Arctic Blue, Hendricks, Bombay and Beafeater on the gin side. Nikka, Laphroaig, Macallan, Jameson and few more on the whisky/whiskey side (don't really remember the exact selection, but good for a brand reference). Other liquids go outside my scope of operations, therefore no comments on that. Any "enhancements" would be against the apparently interesting concept of the Platinum Wing. Excited to check it out myself, as well as to read any reports from those who make a visit earlier!
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Ed Size
Finally, and I booked all upcoming flights with the tightest possible connection :-( But if checking the rules this is clearly a a bummer if enforced:
Are there any oneworld coded flights operated by a non-oneworld carrier apart from SVO flights by SU and PVG by Juneyao. Of course there are some non-oneworld flights operated by AY but I would not assume access anyway (VN, Ural Air, CZ and Juneyao and CA). These airlines are not even partners of AY+

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.