Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

AY Platinum Wing Lounge at HEL in non-Schengen area (re-opened 1 June 22)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AY Platinum Wing Lounge at HEL in non-Schengen area (re-opened 1 June 22)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2019, 6:04 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by Lauri_fly
He said that he cannot let me in and I should use the automatic machines. They let me in.
Interesting take from the border guard. Knows how to bend the rules.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 6:21 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Lauri_fly
I tried with schengen BP. The discussion went like this:

Did you arrive by non-schengen flight?
Me: yes.
Do you have the boarding pass?
Me: No
Where did you come from?
Me: Hong kong
Ok, I need to check that from the computer
Me: Sorry, I lied. I just want to see the new lounge
Access denied

I also told the passport control office that I would like to visit the finnair lounge. He said that he cannot let me in and I should use the automatic machines. They let me in.
Could the automated gates at the lounge let you in without seeing an agent?

Back in the days with the old Premium lounge I went thru immigration with the e-gates and into the lounge with my ARN bp, lady said there's another lounge in the Schengen area by gate 22 to which I replied that this lounge is nicer. No questions asked after that.

So I guess you got a dragon who didn't want to bend the rules.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Could the automated gates at the lounge let you in without seeing an agent?

Back in the days with the old Premium lounge I went thru immigration with the e-gates and into the lounge with my ARN bp, lady said there's another lounge in the Schengen area by gate 22 to which I replied that this lounge is nicer. No questions asked after that.

So I guess you got a dragon who didn't want to bend the rules.
Somehow I missed the automated gates and walked straight into the agent.
I have also managed to get access to the old Premium lounge several times with a schengen BP.

About the passport control policy. Anything other has worked before like "Burger kingiin", "Postilaatikolle", but "Finnairin loungeen" did not work. So I don't know if it is an actual policy.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 6:55 am

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo, LX Senator, SK Life-time Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
My argumentation with the ARN boarding pass was always that I want to go to sauna. Never failed with that.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 7:00 am

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo, LX Senator, SK Life-time Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AnttiV
Currently sitting at the lounge before a short hop to LHR. From first impression this is one of the best OWE lounges I’ve been to in Europe, comparable to CX F at LHR and much better than BA F lounges (excluding the CCR).
I am currently sitting at the CX First at Heathrow and thinking which of the two, Platinum Wing or CX F is the best lounge in Europe that can be entered with an alliance status (i.e. excluding Lufthansa/Swiss First Class lounges, Air France lounges, Qatar lounges etc.). Or is there something else that can compete with these two. Possibly Turkish lounge in Istanbul, what else?
Old Jun 13, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: AY Platinum (oneworld Emerald), Bonvoy/Radisson/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The gin bar is quite a winner all day. But yeah, food is weak in many periods of the day.
When I visited the QF lounge on its third day after opening, the gin bar only had one brand of tonic available for a G&T. Is it like that still?
Old Jun 13, 2019, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by mhle
I am currently sitting at the CX First at Heathrow and thinking which of the two, Platinum Wing or CX F is the best lounge in Europe that can be entered with an alliance status
How would the new(ish) QF lounge @LHR rate on this scale? We liked it very much, but had no chance to test the refurbished CX F. PlatWing will be put to test next week.

Slightly OT - what lounge BA C pax (no status) can use @LHR T3? BA only or some of the aforementioned?
Old Jun 13, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
How would the new(ish) QF lounge @LHR rate on this scale? We liked it very much, but had no chance to test the refurbished CX F. PlatWing will be put to test next week.

Slightly OT - what lounge BA C pax (no status) can use @LHR T3? BA only or some of the aforementioned?
BA, QF, CX and AA business lounges.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger

My understanding is that all 4 (Cathay C, BA Galleries C, Admiral's Club and Qantas Lounge) are available for a oneworld C passenger without status. At least it used to be like that.

Regarding the Qantas London Lounge, I like it during the evening when they have a la carte dining (starting at around 17:00?). At other times the the food offerings are not great. The lounge also lacks views, the old SAS lounge design is not that great. It does not feel premium similarly as Cathay First does.

After spending a couple of hours at Cathay First today, my opinion is that it still supersedes Platinum Wing, 3-course lunch today was simply great and the lounge design is really good..
Old Jun 13, 2019, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Based on the pictures of the Plat wing and experience from QF J lounge, I would definitely think Plat wing beats it. QF J at LHR is noisy, crowded, small and food and beverage offerings nothing spectacular. And there's no champagne there (only for top tier QF members).
Old Jun 13, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo (LTG) OW Emerald, SPG Platinum (LTG), UA Silver
www.oneworld.com:

If your oneworld frequent flyer tier status is Emerald or Sapphire, or you are traveling in a First or Business Class cabin on any oneworld member airline, you can access some 650 airport lounges throughout the world.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Based on the information/experiences shared here, the menu for the table service sets it below actual First class lounges. Other than that, it seems to be a pretty promising feat from Finnair. But I'll get back on the subject very soon, once I've been there.

Speaking of LHR, the MH lounge at T4 would be interesting to try, but not sure when I'll do a OW connection there to see the lounge myself. It's a status based lounge as well.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 3:39 pm

Ï was one of the first inside last Wednesday, and was told there where relax cabins in the bathroom area.
But on my re-visit Tuesday morning I couldn´t find any, no time to ask though.
Anyone knows about this?
I´d hoped for lie flat beds instead of the beds that were like sleeping on Dolly Parton in the Premium Lounge.
But instead of improving this, they seem to have dropped that feature altogether, or??
Even the ordinary non Schengen lounge offered better napping in the capsules....
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by UpperDeck87K
When I visited the QF lounge on its third day after opening, the gin bar only had one brand of tonic available for a G&T. Is it like that still?
The times I have been they have adjusted their tonic based on the gin. Though I can't remember if there were just a few or a wider selection.
First time I was there was a pretty early morning shortly after they opened, connecting from JL41, I got the grand tour from the front desk agent, and ended up trying too many gins for that hour, but the var tender was quite talkative and proud of his selection.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 11:57 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The times I have been they have adjusted their tonic based on the gin. Though I can't remember if there were just a few or a wider selection.
First time I was there was a pretty early morning shortly after they opened, connecting from JL41, I got the grand tour from the front desk agent, and ended up trying too many gins for that hour, but the var tender was quite talkative and proud of his selection.
QF LHR gin lounge has about 15 gins and several tonics. It's the best,consistent feature of the lounge.
esledo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.