BA flight on Finnair metal to LAX

Old Jun 4, 19, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Excecutive Club
BA flight on Finnair metal to LAX

Hello! I usually fly to LAX through Heathrow, but am considering trying the Finnair route through HEL. I'm based in Sweden so it seems convenient and shortens the trip a bit. Basically looking for some feedback from those of you who have tried it. I fly economy. How is the transit at HEL? I'm guessing it would be less crowded than Heathrow? The plane is a 359, how is it compared to the A380 (my favorite) or a 787 in terms of comfort, space etc?
Since they take the polar route (which I never have) how is that generally with turbulence? Less or the same as the BA route?
Prices are pretty much the same, so it's more of a time cutting issue.
I'm assuming the avios and tier points will be the same as a BA flight?
Thanks
Old Jun 4, 19, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I asuume you will be in Y?

I think the transit in HEL will be reasonably straight forward.

Depending on the class of economy ticket bought the avios and tier points can differ slightly between AY and BA. Details can be found here;

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/executive-club/collecting-avios/flights

Regards

TBS

PS As to the turbulence it can vary from route to route and from day to day . I found the LAX route not too bad on BA as generally we flew north ober iceland , and the southern tip of greenland , occassionally there was a bit of chop over the Rockies but nothing too bad.
Old Jun 4, 19, 9:39 pm

I tried that route recently, albeit in business, not economy. But the connection at HEL was very smooth and the flight itself was fine. Turbulence wasn’t an issue, but of course that is not specific to the route.
mrow likes this.
Old Jun 5, 19, 3:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Excecutive Club
Thank you for your input!

I know the turbulence varies, on some trips I've had almost none, on some the seat belts sign has been on for around 5 hours.

Good to hear that HEL is a smooth connection. I will follow the link and look at the points and avios.
Old Jun 5, 19, 4:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
As OWE you can choose the economy comfort seats for free on the HEL-LHR route. I'm not sure if this is the case for longhaul but worth a try if you are.
Old Jun 5, 19, 4:34 am

Programs: BA
Finnair is fantastic, I've not done that exact route but their A350 on other Asian routes was very good and comfortable. Great service, very attentive cabin crew. As for European Airlines, I've had better experiences with Finnair than most others. It's probably a better package than BA, but I've only flown a handful of times longhaul with Finnair compared to many with BA. I also note, I've never done Finnair longhaul in Y, only J.

Helsinki is easy to transit from schengen to non schengen. I can't see it taking more than 15 minutes if you hold an EU passport.
mrow likes this.
Old Jun 5, 19, 7:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
I have flown AY HEL-LAX on AY1 and HEL-HKG on AY101, shortly to fly BKK-HEL on AY. Overall I have always been impressed with them and would certainly class the A350 as a desirable aircraft to fly on. I actually prefer it to the B787, but I think the sense of space on the A380 is difficult to beat.

If AY works for you and if the TP are similar (and important) I would give AY a shot. Only caveat, all my AY trips recently have been in J.
Old Jun 5, 19, 7:42 am

Programs: AY+ Plat
Originally Posted by offshore_bob View Post
As OWE you can choose the economy comfort seats for free on the HEL-LHR route. I'm not sure if this is the case for longhaul but worth a try if you are.
Yes, OWE's can have an economy comfort seat for free on all flights operated with A330's and A350's.
Old Jun 5, 19, 8:11 am

I love the A380 economy seats in the top deck. 2 pods on the side with storage bin next to you just feels like so much more space.
Old Jun 5, 19, 12:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL/CCR, IHG Spire
OP as I am sure you’ve realised these flights are available and bookable direct with BA on a BA code - see whether the price differential warrants the additional Avios.
Old Jun 5, 19, 12:57 pm

Programs: SAS Silver, Finnair Gold, DL Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by boxlion View Post
How is the transit at HEL?
Surely you'd have better luck asking this in the AY forum.
Old Jun 5, 19, 3:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Avis Presidents Club
I've flown Y on a Finnair A350 with the Economy Comfort seat, HEL-HKG. I was pretty impressed - although you should check that those seats are actually available still on that particular flight.
Old Jun 5, 19, 4:00 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
This thread was originally posted in BA forum but after a short airing, it has been moved to Finnair section where it is likely that more people can answer Finnair-specific questions.

LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA forum