Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AY: ORD - HKG/PVG/PEK - no more?

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2019, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Platinum
AY: ORD - HKG/PVG/PEK - no more?

I've been flying AY from ORD - HKG/PVG/PEK for a few years. I was looking at fares a few weeks ago for a potential trip in June that I wanted to book today, flying June 8th - 17th, RT: ORD-HEL-HKG.

It looks like Finnair won't price those flights anymore. Going direct to finnair.com, it says there are no flights available. If I break it up to multi-city ORD-HEL / HEL-HKG , I can get a fare, but it's very expensive.

I've tried other dates too. I also tried other flight search engines like google flights, and they don't return any AY flights.

Does anyone know if AY pulling their flights, or is this a temporary glitch ? I haven't seen this before.
Old May 8, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Originally Posted by skydve1
I've been flying AY from ORD - HKG/PVG/PEK for a few years. I was looking at fares a few weeks ago for a potential trip in June that I wanted to book today, flying June 8th - 17th, RT: ORD-HEL-HKG.

It looks like Finnair won't price those flights anymore. Going direct to finnair.com, it says there are no flights available. If I break it up to multi-city ORD-HEL / HEL-HKG , I can get a fare, but it's very expensive.

I've tried other dates too. I also tried other flight search engines like google flights, and they don't return any AY flights.

Does anyone know if AY pulling their flights, or is this a temporary glitch ? I haven't seen this before.
I checked it with Matrix that finds it, so obviously it's not gone. In this case I would call their customer service and ask them.
Old May 8, 2019, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Purjelentaja
I checked it with Matrix that finds it, so obviously it's not gone. In this case I would call their customer service and ask them.
Thanks for the reply.
I didn't try matrix.. I'll check it out when I land.
Old May 8, 2019, 6:49 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
I think it could be a glitch. On ExpertFlyer, when I search for inventory using the US as the point of sale, everything on HEL-HKG is zeroed out. But when I search using Canada or Finland, it's fine. Additionally, YYZ-HKG (through HEL) seems to be pricing fine on Finnair's website. For some reason, a US point of sale is causing issues.
Old May 8, 2019, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Talking

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
I think it could be a glitch. On ExpertFlyer, when I search for inventory using the US as the point of sale, everything on HEL-HKG is zeroed out. But when I search using Canada or Finland, it's fine. Additionally, YYZ-HKG (through HEL) seems to be pricing fine on Finnair's website. For some reason, a US point of sale is causing issues.
Thanks! That was a great idea.. I just logged into EF as well and saw the same thing (all 0's) with US point of sale. Changing the point of sale shows availability.
Old May 8, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: AY+ Lumo (LTG), LH SEN
Originally Posted by skydve1

That’s just one of many issues with their relaunched website. If you want to book directly with finnair, head over to the old design at finnair.fi and change the language to English. All flights available there.
flyingeph12 likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Talking

Originally Posted by FlyeBye

That’s just one of many issues with their relaunched website. If you want to book directly with finnair, head over to the old design at finnair.fi and change the language to English. All flights available there.
Thanks to all who gave guidance!

I couldn't get it to work. Anytime my originating city was in the US, it changed the currency to USD , and I couldn't get a fare. I even tried using a VPN with a Finland endpoint, thinking it'd quote me in Euro's since I was 'in' Finland - no dice. It still wouldn't give me a fare.

I couldn't wait any longer, so I wound up booking the trip on BA, connecting through LHR. Flying biz - (3) flights in an A380, and (1) on a 747-400 - all upper deck. Should be fun!
I hope AY gets things straight soon.. I need to go to PVG in October, and prefer to fly AY since their biz is a better value , and most of all, they have Fazer on board.
Old May 14, 2019, 4:04 am

Programs: MP, BR
For what it's worth, I can't price the ticket in opposite direct (i.e. HKG - ORD) either.
Old May 14, 2019, 4:11 am

Programs: AY+ Lumo (LTG), LH SEN
Originally Posted by Chromie25
For what it's worth, I can't price the ticket in opposite direct (i.e. HKG - ORD) either.
You can. Head to www.finnair.fi, change the language to English (stay in the Finland territory tab) and do your search there. Don't try to change the currency, just pay in HKD. That's the only way, since all relaunched websites for the other territories don't show any availability for Asia-NA routes anymore.
Old May 15, 2019, 7:08 am
JTK

Programs: AAdvantage EP
Looks like the website if fixed. I can select flights from JFK to SIN in the future. Was looking around October.
Old May 15, 2019, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by JTK
Looks like the website if fixed. I can select flights from JFK to SIN in the future. Was looking around October.
That was never an issue. The issue was flights to China (including HKG). I still can’t see flights from NA to any destinations in China. SIN, BKK, Japan, and SEL work fine, however.
Old May 19, 2019, 7:28 pm

Programs: Skypass, IHG
Originally Posted by FlyeBye

So this may be why the AY ORD / JFK routes to HEL and onward are gone from Google Flights lately.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 5:22 pm

It looks like flights between North America and China can now be booked online again. ^
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
It looks like flights between North America and China can now be booked online again. ^
Hmm, I still continue to see the old message: There are no flights available for the selected dates. Please try again.

Are you using any tricks like booking on the .fi site?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by theisomizer
Hmm, I still continue to see the old message: There are no flights available for the selected dates. Please try again.

Are you using any tricks like booking on the .fi site?
Same here. Looked at flights to PVG in October. Still no flights available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.