Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jfk arrival on AY5

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2019, 6:41 pm

Programs: AY Plat, Marriott Plat
My elderly mother in law will be flying with us and she has some trouble with her knees. Roughly how far is the walk from the arrival gate to immigration?

And can small kids use the automated passport control kiosks? Read that the small kids can use the GE kiosks (simply skip the fingerprinting step) but not sure about the APC kiosks.

Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:12 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by mechu
My elderly mother in law will be flying with us and she has some trouble with her knees. Roughly how far is the walk from the arrival gate to immigration?

And can small kids use the automated passport control kiosks? Read that the small kids can use the GE kiosks (simply skip the fingerprinting step) but not sure about the APC kiosks.

Walking is around 5 minutes or less so it shouldn't be too much trouble. There are usually wheelchairs at the jetbridge so those can be requested and if you're lucky you might get your own line.

Should be no problem with the kiosks, but you'll need to lift the child so they can have their photo taken. I've seen the (rude) contract workers put families in the regular line too so that's one thing to consider, but YMMV.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:59 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The kiosks adjust to fit to the child, we had no issues two years ago.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Which sums up MIA 100%, the worst port of entry in the US after JFK and EWR. Makes my blood boil with the poor queue management
I just flew through MIA on both BA and AA and everything was very smooth. On BA I didn’t see any machines that weren’t GA but entry was swift nonetheless - within an hour I was cleared into the country, checked my bag on another ticket and went to two lounges in opposite locations.

AA landed somewhere where there were machines and all of this took even less time - I didn’t time it as I went out for dinner.

perhaps I was lucky, but it was nothing like what I’ve been warned.
esledo likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:14 am

Walking is around 5 minutes or less so it shouldn't be too much trouble. There are usually wheelchairs at the jetbridge so those can be requested and if you're lucky you might get your own line.

Should be no problem with the kiosks, but you'll need to lift the child so they can have their photo taken. I've seen the (rude) contract workers put families in the regular line too so that's one thing to consider, but YMMV.
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The kiosks adjust to fit to the child, we had no issues two years ago.
Thanks guys. Have a much clearer picture now. I think my strategy will be to sit near the second door, monitor the arrivals of the AA flight from CDG and BCN, and walk as fast as I can to the APC kiosks

Only other thing that worries me now is connecting to Westjet direct service to YYC which seems to be a 737. I hope this will not become a 737 Max by the time I fly or else I have to reconsider this whole routing again
Old Jun 4, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, GC Jade
Thanks guys. Have a much clearer picture now. I think my strategy will be to sit near the second door, monitor the arrivals of the AA flight from CDG and BCN, and walk as fast as I can to the APC kiosks

Only other thing that worries me now is connecting to Westjet direct service to YYC which seems to be a 737. I hope this will not become a 737 Max by the time I fly or else I have to reconsider this whole routing again
Out of pure curiosity: Why would you monitor the arrivals of CDG and BCN? I mean how would the knowledge alter your own behavior? You get there when you get there, and you can’t influence the line that happens to be in front of you.
esledo likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by _ra_
Out of pure curiosity: Why would you monitor the arrivals of CDG and BCN? I mean how would the knowledge alter your own behavior? You get there when you get there, and you can’t influence the line that happens to be in front of you.
I assume that it gives you a feeling of having control. If this is rational or not, is another question.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
I think it's a matter of being as informed as possible about the situation and knowing that if you're arriving right after the CDG and BCN flights, you'll likely have to wait in a long line. That might mean you try to get to immigration as quickly as possible instead of dallying, etc. It might also be a matter of mentally preparing for long lines at immigration (and perhaps making a contingency plan if you end up missing a connection, etc.).

My philosophy regarding travel, particularly in the US with US carriers, is that you need to be prepared to be your own advocate. The airlines will do the absolute minimum to get you to your destination. So being prepared is important.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 9:50 am

In the situation where flights happen to be arriving within minutes of each other, you can try to quicken your pace and try not to fall too far behind the queue. Every minute counts when you are trying to make a tight connection.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:04 am

when you are trying to make a tight connection.
If your tight connection is on the same PNR then you'll have agents at the jetbridge or near the arrival gate with orange Express Connection envelopes with new AA stock printed bp:s. These pax are usually given priority at immigration.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 3:24 am

If your tight connection is on the same PNR then you'll have agents at the jetbridge or near the arrival gate with orange Express Connection envelopes with new AA stock printed bp:s. These pax are usually given priority at immigration.
Will be on separate tickets unfortunately.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 5:30 am

Will be on separate tickets unfortunately.
Then you can hope for the contract workers asking passengers if they're connecting. If you're tight enough you might get lucky and get to skip the line.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 6:09 am

Arrived on yesterday’s AY5 flying the new schedule for the first time and immigration was not at all busy as I was first off the plane. The line grew within minutes though as there was a QR flight arriving with us at the same time. Unfortunately I seem to have the worst luck by always ending up lining up for the booth where the people infront of me take a long time, a group of 8 Russians as well as an Indian family got a long questioning, but when it was my turn the officer didn't speak one word other than "fingers... camera" not even a greeting. Still took 20 minutes to get thru even if the line wasn't long.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 7:54 am

Arrived on yesterday’s AY5 flying the new schedule for the first time and immigration was not at all busy as I was first off the plane. The line grew within minutes though as there was a QR flight arriving with us at the same time. Unfortunately I seem to have the worst luck by always ending up lining up for the booth where the people infront of me take a long time, a group of 8 Russians as well as an Indian family got a long questioning, but when it was my turn the officer didn't speak one word other than "fingers... camera" not even a greeting. Still took 20 minutes to get thru even if the line wasn't long.
Apparently we were on the same flight yesterday. The new schedule with QR arriving a minute earlier is a bummer, as the risk of the whole immigration getting stuck is material. The officer lady did her utmost though to make it completely dysfunctional yesterday. The moment I got through it would have taken 45 mins at least from entry to exit. I was most probably amongst the 10 first out of plane and had a good run, too.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by OHKRT
The officer lady did her utmost though to make it completely dysfunctional yesterday.
You mean the lady from one of the contract companies managing the lines by yelling at everyone?

I was in 8D, what about you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.