AY plus keeps screwing me around

Old May 20, 2019, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Finnair Plat, Bonvoy Titanium, National EE
AY plus keeps screwing me around

Your advice required.

What recourse do I have if I get a "partner rejected" message on what I know is a valid fare (every other segment posted)... especially when these are the last points/segment I need to re-qualify for gold.

Talking to Finnair has generally been worse than useless, especially on facebook... I'm pretty sure through the standard methods their response would be ".... off, the partner rejected it already". Furthermore, the system doesn't even show me as gold despite the physical card going to June 2019.

Is there any way to get anything now?

If not, I just want to make a thread saying how crap this program is. 9 years in Flying Blue Gold, only minor problems and fixed very quickly. 1 year in AY plus gold and many more problems...
Old May 20, 2019, 4:57 pm

It's not an invalid codeshare or invalid fare bucket or something?
Old May 20, 2019, 5:37 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Have had the problem after attempting to credit an AA sold as AY flight to AY+. Same partner rejected message so I get where you are coming from but it was quickly resolved.

Once it was caused by human error at ATL traveling on one PNR to HEL via ORD with the ATL-ORD segment on AA code as it was booked was converted to AY code due to the AA agents incompetence.

Basically they screwed up by printing the baggage tag only to ORD instead of HEL which I noticed. I would've left it at that (due to the cluelessness) but since my connection was 1h25min it was necessary to have it checked thru. They started "re-issuing" the ticket and playing around until I got the bp to ORD with an AY flight number.

Points posted for the AY segment fine but the domestic segment read "partner rejected" so I emailed CS and they fixed it crediting the points as they originally should have been.

My two cents.
Old May 20, 2019, 7:06 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
I once received a "partner rejected" message. It was an AA basic economy flight purchased through AA. I didn't try to fight it since it wasn't that many points and so wasn't really worth the time and effort. I also had missed the last leg on that itinerary, so it was a mess all around.

If you need the points, I would probably start with the partner airline, not AY. I don't think there's much AY can do if the partner rejects the claim.
Old May 21, 2019, 12:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Some person
It's not an invalid codeshare or invalid fare bucket or something?

It's the exact same bucket as the other flights on the booking, which credited.

It's also a crap load of miles.

I tried e-mailing finnair plus a few weeks ago and never heard back. Will try again, but this feels like pushing a boulder up hill forever.
Old May 21, 2019, 12:43 am

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
Call them?
Steve_Hun, Ed Size and DALtoAAL like this.
Old May 21, 2019, 3:03 am

Programs: AFKL PLT, BA Gold, SK Gold, AY Gold, A3 Silver, LH FTL, IHG Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by niksal
Call them?
Yes, it seems this is the best approach with AY Plus, as emails seem to go without much notice. Call and put some pressure on them.
Old May 21, 2019, 4:05 am

Programs: AY+Plat
Originally Posted by dc9northwest

Talking to Finnair has generally been worse than useless, especially on facebook... ..
Call them or use chat

Furthermore, the system doesn't even show me as gold despite the physical card going to June 2019.
AY usually gives 2 month grace period on physical cards. Are you sure
​​​​​that your tracking period does not end on April 30 ?
Ed Size likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 4:46 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Did you actually talk to AY? Or you just assuming? Most of the time the person on the hotline helps to solve problems.
Old May 21, 2019, 5:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by niksal
Call them?

I guess it's 1999 in Finland?
Old May 21, 2019, 5:41 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I guess it's 1999 in Finland?
I guess it's 1989 in the US, what with AA wanting me to fax boarding passes to them to have a partner flight credited. The only fax machines in Finland are at the Museum of Technology...

The problem with emails is that you have a CS rep with a ton of emails, and what they do is find some semi-suitable copy-paste reply, send it, hope never to hear from you again and move on to the next email. I suppose the same applies to FB or any platform where you don't comminucate in real time. If you call, they are more forced to actually do something. While some agents are inexperienced and not very knowledgeable, with a little luck or some HUACA you'll reach a good agent who will look into your matter. Ultimately, you will get your ponts, but it might require a couple of calls.

About the physical card: AY has a different system from eg. AA. Whereas AA has a calendar year qualifying period, and your status is always valid until the end of February, whether you requalify or not, AY works in a different way. Your tracking period is 12 months, and may end at the end of any month (based (mostly) on your original sign up date). If you haven't requalified before your tracking period ends, you will immediately fall down by one level no matter what it says on the card. The AY system is not without faults; say you're Plat and will requalify, but the flight that takes you over the threshold is two days before your tracking preiod ends. Chances are, the flight will not be credited before the tracking period ends and you'll fall to Gold for a few days. It's very irritating. AY has gotten faster at crediting points, but it still takes a few days.
Old May 21, 2019, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lento
Call them or use chat

AY usually gives 2 month grace period on physical cards. Are you sure
​​​​​that your tracking period does not end on April 30 ?
Yes, it ended April 30th.

The flight was March 31st.

I did 'talk' to AY after the rejection message, but not verbally. I tried fb chat, so far, and sent an e-mail.

I tried to retro claim several times... eventually the request showed up. For some reason CX rejected this. Which is weird. They accepted every other flight in that booking, and it's the same class. But perhaps from their perspective it's a double claim, since AY did not have that flight in their system for 5 weeks after launch (mine was an inaugural flight). And the AY agent I talked to 3 weeks ago said 'everything is fine' and I will be gold. So I don't trust anything not in writing.
Old May 21, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
I did 'talk' to AY after the rejection message, but not verbally. I tried fb chat, so far, and sent an e-mail.
No you did not talk to them. Be aware that CS uses already AI these days, so maybe no human ever looked into it.
Old May 21, 2019, 7:12 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by ffay005
I guess it's 1989 in the US, what with AA wanting me to fax boarding passes to them to have a partner flight credited. The only fax machines in Finland are at the Museum of Technology...
It is indeed, they wanted me to either drive to the airport or mail a voucher to a PO box in Florida just to ticket my reservation.
ffay005 likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 10:28 am
Suspended

I got a partner rejected recently for QR and will probably get another one as I logged into my QR account and noticed the idiots at QR hadn't changed the FF number like I had asked. I tried resolving the first one by using AY's web contact form, they got back to me after about a week telling me they had contacted QR again.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.