Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Is there a change in AY price strategy?

Old May 15, 19, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore

After it is getting harder to get upgrades cleared or awards confirmed for me it looks like AY is also getting more and more expensive. After I had hard times to get flights to BKK for under 1800€ in J (I got them for years somewhere in the 1200€ - 1600€ range), now I looking for flights to the US, and AY is asking for 900€ in discounted Y to ORD, while others start at 400€ - 500€. Also no real offers in J even if the JV is doing a promotion at the moment - so its cheaper to book AY metal on AA or you can get cheap flights on BA metal AY coded (available on the AY website). Also if I m looking for J flights to BKK in JUL, AUG, OCT,NOV - AY is never in the range they used to be, and always Skyteam or even *A doing better offers.

Is this just by accident or is this a new strategy? If the later I m not sure if I will follow it, since the premium they are asking for is devalued once Awards and Upgrades become a problem.

Anybody else realized that? Or is it just coincidence?
Old May 15, 19, 1:10 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
Originally Posted by Ed Size View Post
After it is getting harder to get upgrades cleared or awards confirmed for me it looks like AY is also getting more and more expensive. After I had hard times to get flights to BKK for under 1800€ in J (I got them for years somewhere in the 1200€ - 1600€ range), now I looking for flights to the US, and AY is asking for 900€ in discounted Y to ORD, while others start at 400€ - 500€. Also no real offers in J even if the JV is doing a promotion at the moment - so its cheaper to book AY metal on AA or you can get cheap flights on BA metal AY coded (available on the AY website). Also if I m looking for J flights to BKK in JUL, AUG, OCT,NOV - AY is never in the range they used to be, and always Skyteam or even *A doing better offers.

Is this just by accident or is this a new strategy? If the later I m not sure if I will follow it, since the premium they are asking for is devalued once Awards and Upgrades become a problem.

Anybody else realized that? Or is it just coincidence?
Yes, I have posted about this here: Sudden BIG price bump for my route rest of the year - pricing error?
Could very possibly have happened on longhaul too. Finnair hasn't replied to me yet.
Old May 15, 19, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EuroFlash View Post
Yes, I have posted about this here: Sudden BIG price bump for my route rest of the year - pricing error?
Could very possibly have happened on longhaul too. Finnair hasn't replied to me yet.
I read this, but I thought it is route specific, but for me it looks like they are testing everywhere right now. Years ago somebody working in AY sales told me "Our marketing is pretty easy, if we have low prices we have fill planes if we have high prices we have problems to fill our planes".

Now I have the impression they are try to become premium (at least pricewise).
Old May 15, 19, 1:29 pm

I read this, but I thought it is route specific, but for me it looks like they are testing everywhere right now. Years ago somebody working in AY sales told me "Our marketing is pretty easy, if we have low prices we have fill planes if we have high prices we have problems to fill our planes".

Now I have the impression they are try to become premium (at least pricewise).
Something changed for sure.... and to my knowledge it happened as of 1st of April. But well... Finnair hasn't replied to my complaint yet and it has been a month. I wonder if they'll ever get back to me.
Old May 15, 19, 3:17 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum
Mr Manner must like these dudes here who hope to get an answer to such a stupid question. It is called business.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 15, 19, 3:42 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by Bdsm View Post
Mr Manner must like these dudes here who hope to get an answer to such a stupid question. It is called business.
So tell us, what's your affiliation with this guy and what did he do to make you hate him so much?
Old May 15, 19, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bdsm View Post

Hm rising prices does not equal business. Just look at the fantastic performance of Lufthansa in the 1st quarter of 2019. Cutting costs and rising prices is just what anybody can do. Problem is, that don΄t make your product attractive, and AY did a lot to make their premium seats less desirable.
esledo and intuition like this.
Old May 16, 19, 1:18 am

Programs: OWS
I am also looking for flights to BKK but for september and ex TLL they are at 1449€ in J on quite a few dates in september. That is the lowest I have ever seen them. Also ex ARN in same period is at just over 16000 SEK which is just under 1500€...GOT seeing prices under 16000 SEK same period. ex Germany at just over 1700€, BUD at just over 1500€... So I guess it is all about when you need to travel but there are some great prices out there at the moment as well. Maybe they have increased prices overall, I don΄t know, but there sure is some low prices out there still.
Ed Size likes this.
Old May 16, 19, 1:20 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
It's called yield management.
If AY can command a higher price in the marketplace, they will raise faires or zero out cheaper fare buckets.
AY performance is not judged by full planes, but increasing the total revenue for each flight.
Maybe AY has gained some more corporate contracts in Europe so that they dont have to discount their Business cabin anymore.

Same trend can be seen with QR, as well.
Occasionally, we still have Business sub-EUR1500 popping up between Nordic Europe and Southeast Asia. However, it happens less often. CA is still offering some agressive pricing, but that's it.
Ed Size and nancypants like this.

Last edited by warakorn; May 16, 19 at 1:29 am
Old May 16, 19, 1:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tuvv View Post
I am also looking for flights to BKK but for september and ex TLL they are at 1449€ in J on quite a few dates in september. That is the lowest I have ever seen them. Also ex ARN in same period is at just over 16000 SEK which is just under 1500€...GOT seeing prices under 16000 SEK same period. ex Germany at just over 1700€, BUD at just over 1500€... So I guess it is all about when you need to travel but there are some great prices out there at the moment as well. Maybe they have increased prices overall, I don΄t know, but there sure is some low prices out there still.
It looks like they read this thread :-). After I could get AY to the US last night, now I can book my flights to BKK (even ex Germany). Nice.
Old May 16, 19, 3:22 am

It looks like they read this thread :-). After I could get AY to the US last night, now I can book my flights to BKK (even ex Germany). Nice.
Yes they did indeed, check the update in my thread! :-)
Old May 16, 19, 3:28 am

Programs: MH Platinum/ OW Emerald
I booked BKK-AMS for EUR 1455 round trip end December (flew it last week). That was more or less the cheapest I had seen ever on a OW carrier..
Old May 16, 19, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by quinzinho View Post
I booked BKK-AMS for EUR 1455 round trip end December (flew it last week). That was more or less the cheapest I had seen ever on a OW carrier..
Are you considering RJ as a OW carrier? They often have prices between 1200€ and 1500€ ex Germany. But you always have a long layover in AMM.
Old May 16, 19, 5:55 am

Programs: MH Platinum/ OW Emerald
Are you considering RJ as a OW carrier? They often have prices between 1200€ and 1500€ ex Germany. But you always have a long layover in AMM.
Yeah but this was the other way around: starting in Asia. I tend to see better fares from EU to Asia than the other way around.