Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Do you compensate your CO2 emissions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you compensate your CO2 emissions?

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2019, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by RoxyMountain
Good question. I went to the website to find out. It appears they use it to expand their wind energy production.
While this sounds noble, in real life it just means that the customers who sign up for that pre-finance the power co's investments and with zero capital costs to the power co.

A classical win-win situation
Old May 5, 2019, 1:41 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
I was referring to the base rate, exclusive of fees and taxes. Currently the renewable energy surcharge (EEG-Umlage) in Germany is 21%.
Who cares about the base fee? The only thing which is interesting is the price you pay at the end. 21% is the share the electricity company gets, the rest are taxes and fees. The EEG Umlage is not a percentage share it is a fixed 6,405 ct/kWh.

If I buy a air ticket I don t care about the base fee - which is sometimes incredible cheap.
Old May 5, 2019, 2:53 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by Some person
What does the electricity company do for that extra money? Do they reduce production of non-renewable energy for the benefit of renewable energy? If not, what is the point of paying extra for your electricity?What do you mean with world-saving? The world is quite good at protecting itself. If people increase CO₂ emissions too much, it will just have the effect that all humans die, and so the world is safe.
Hahah! Good logic here are you perhaps a programmer professional?
Old May 5, 2019, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ed Size
Who cares about the base fee? The only thing which is interesting is the price you pay at the end.
I wrote that because that is what we were talking about, the base fee not the end cost.

Originally Posted by Helsinki Flyer
. In addition to that there are taxes to be paid and fees for the network operator, so the total cost for electricity is a lot more, but still.
If you bundle in all the costs German electric prices are about double Finland's, which is what I wrote.
Ed Size likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
While this sounds noble, in real life it just means that the customers who sign up for that pre-finance the power co's investments and with zero capital costs to the power co.

A classical win-win situation
In this case it is not a company but a non profit that serves several local towns. They also do municipal broadband.

We are in a very unique station as most places in the U.S. get their power from some large company that is often publicly traded.. The result is we get very cheap power prices. For internet access we get 1G to our house for $50 per month.
Old May 5, 2019, 5:46 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Superrman
This is a rational statement to make for you as an individual consumer, concerned with maximizing individual value and $. However, you are not paying the right price for your flights as is, considering that the damages of emissions over time are not correctly added to the ticket price you currently pay. So one way or another, if we are to save our planet, we will all have to pay the right amount of our "hard earned money" for flights, and not an artificial low amount like today.
Save the planet from "what" something that has become a trendy word currently.
No offense, but how do you think this world has lasted millions of years so far... its just another way for some companies/people to make money by making others feel gulity
EuroFlash likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 6:11 am

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBG
Originally Posted by fotographer
Save the planet from "what" something that has become a trendy word currently.
No offense, but how do you think this world has lasted millions of years so far... its just another way for some companies/people to make money by making others feel gulity
Save human life on the planet as we know it* Sorry for wording myself inaccurately, the planet will survive, but we won't have too great of a time. If you're denying man-made climate change then I don't have much else to say here.
Gnopps and Ed Size like this.
Old May 5, 2019, 6:28 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by garykung
While at the same time, Lyft just becomes a major contributor to CO2 emissions.
But at least they're doing something. If you're going from a to b, those emissions would be there regardless of whether it comes from Lyft or your own vehicle ...
esledo likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Save human life on the planet as we know it* Sorry for wording myself inaccurately, the planet will survive, but we won't have too great of a time. If you're denying man-made climate change then I don't have much else to say here.
Humanity survived much larger climate changes that we are facing now - how else would've humans walked to America and Britain? Or how else Greenland would've been "green"? We are in an interglacial period and have been for the last 11.000 years. The last 200 years are but a blimp on this. Yes, it plays a part, but it's not neccessarily a decisive part either.

EDITed to add: I think we're moving quickly into OMNI-land, so I won't comment more on climate change in this topic.

Last edited by WilcoRoger; May 5, 2019 at 10:22 am
Old May 5, 2019, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The result is we get very cheap power prices. For internet access we get 1G to our house for $50 per month.
Is that 1 GB/month data or 1 Gbit/sec speed? If it's the former, you're cross-financing the cheap power. If it's the latter, then vow, that's serious.
Old May 5, 2019, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is that 1 GB/month data or 1 Gbit/sec speed? If it's the former, you're cross-financing the cheap power. If it's the latter, then vow, that's serious.
1 Gbps. Yes, it is a great deal and works awesome. It is also profitable for my town, they have made millions from it that goes into the general fund.
Old May 5, 2019, 12:55 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Then my 1Gbps for 16€/month must be a steal.
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by TBD
But at least they're doing something. If you're going from a to b, those emissions would be there regardless of whether it comes from Lyft or your own vehicle ...
Yes...but your vehicle's ignition isn't on when you are not traveling.

Lyft's vehicles emit gases when they are "waiting"...
Old May 6, 2019, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by intuition
Then my 1Gbps for 16€/month must be a steal.
Yes it is. Internet prices in the US are much higher than most of Europe
Old May 6, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
And yes I am denying man-made climate change, so we can agree to disagree. which is fine, no harm no foul

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.