Struggling with Finnair

Old May 1, 19, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Struggling with Finnair

Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice as I've not used Finnair before - I've been booked on a work trip to LED (St Petersburg) in Economy, as BA wanted 600 for the dates in question, I have saved about 300 by using Finnair for the outbound (booked on their site in class Z). I now realise that I am on the A350 on the way out to HEL and would like to understand my upgrade options (due to reading so much about this route and aircraft on here!)

As far as I understand this is not a BA code share route when booked to LED, so my questions are,

1. Can I use my BA avios to upgrade this flight if reward seats become available?
2. How do I assess if there is reward availability - it's not currently showing for that flight on the ba site when doing a dummy booking?
3. What is the process for upgrading?

I would consider using my own cash to upgrade the LHR-HEL leg if it was POUG type pricing - does anyone have any experience on what is the best way to upgrade with money with Finnair? Do they do AUPs if there is space?

Finally, if I stay in economy Z class, will I get 15 tier points each way, or does this selling class not earn BA TPs when booked with Finnair? (looking at the booking on BA.com, shows no rewards). Also, do I get BA seating privileges in Z class, as I don't seem to be able to select seats on Finnair.com?

Thanks in advance.

(Mods sorry if this shouldn't be in the BA forum (I am flying back BA in my defence))
Old May 1, 19, 10:13 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
You can’t use Avios to upgrade a Finnair flight. Questions re cash upgrades are best answered over on the Finnair forum.
Old May 1, 19, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
1 - as this was booked via Finnair you can't use avios to upgrade. So Qs 2 and 3 aren't applicable.
Old May 1, 19, 10:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Given it's AY metal and not a 125 ticket, unfortunately you can't upgrade using Avios.
Old May 1, 19, 11:57 am

Programs: TK *G, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Joshm300 View Post
do I get BA seating privileges in Z class, as I don't seem to be able to select seats on Finnair.com?
what do you mean by "BA seating privileges" ? do you have some kind of status with BA ? what status? The benefits are not the same as with finnair but I have the BA gold card and that gets me free seat assignment on AY, but if you booked with AY then it should recognise you as gold from the BA number and allow you to choose a seat for free .

if I stay in economy Z class, will I get 15 tier points each way
where do you get the figure 15 from ? BA have a page which explains what you earn here https://www.britishairways.com/trave...club/_gf/en_fi
choose the airline, the route, your BA status and you will see the booking classes and what you get. for me Z is shown on the first line "Economy lowest (A, G, N, O, Q, R, S, W, Z)" and you will earn 10 tier points and 284 avios.
Old May 1, 19, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Joshm300 View Post
I would consider using my own cash to upgrade the LHR-HEL leg if it was POUG type pricing - does anyone have any experience on what is the best way to upgrade with money with Finnair? Do they do AUPs if there is space?
See information about upgrades here: The Big UPGRADE Thread all you need to know about AY upgrades

If you choose to upgrade, note that you will earn points based on the original Z class, not on the upgraded U class.
Originally Posted by riku2 View Post
where do you get the figure 15 from ? BA have a page which explains what you earn here https://www.britishairways.com/trave...club/_gf/en_fi
choose the airline, the route, your BA status and you will see the booking classes and what you get. for me Z is shown on the first line "Economy lowest (A, G, N, O, Q, R, S, W, Z)" and you will earn 10 tier points and 284 avios.
Note that London Heathrow (LHR)-Leningrad (LED) consists of two segments if flying on Finnair as you are changing in Helsinki (HEL). Did you search for one or two segments?
Old May 1, 19, 1:08 pm

10+5+5+10 TP = 30 TP so you will indeed get 15 TP each way LHR-HEL-LED
Joshm300 likes this.
Old May 1, 19, 1:27 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
As others have said, you can't upgrade using Avois. You can upgrade using Finnair points. You can check upgrade availability online here:
https://www.finnair.com/int/gb/finna...e-availability

AY does send out targeted (cash) upgrade offers a few days to around two weeks before your flight. You can see examples of offers collected in the following thread:
Please post your upgrade offers
Joshm300 likes this.
Old May 1, 19, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Some person View Post
See information about upgrades here: The Big UPGRADE Thread all you need to know about AY upgrades

If you choose to upgrade, note that you will earn points based on the original Z class, not on the upgraded U class.Note that London Heathrow (LHR)-Leningrad (LED) consists of two segments if flying on Finnair as you are changing in Helsinki (HEL). Did you search for one or two segments?
Thanks for this, very helpful, I'd searched the two separate flights and added them up to the 15, which someone else has confirmed I will be credited. Having looked at the big upgrade thread, it seems nothing is available paid for me at the moment, I guess it'w worth checking back at a later date to see if that's changed.
Old May 1, 19, 1:38 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
If you don't have AY+ points, your best bet is to wait for an email offer from AY, and if you don't get one, ask at the airport before departure.
Old May 2, 19, 9:18 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Gold, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by ffay005 View Post
If you don't have AY+ points, your best bet is to wait for an email offer from AY, and if you don't get one, ask at the airport before departure.
It might be cheaper to buy 10,000 points online and nudge CS for the upgrade. But of course, the problem is that you are stuck with the points if the upgrade does not clear.
esledo likes this.
Old May 3, 19, 12:29 am

Programs: AY Lumo, FB Gold
The Finnair app also sometimes lists cash upgrade options for the flights a week or so in advance.

Obviously you cannot count on this on always being the case, but just another option.

I've seen some pretty inflated upgrade prices on the LHR route recently (think of northwards of 150€) which IMHO isn't worth it even on the A350 but your perception of value may be different to mine and depend on things like status (lounge access, free drink onboard for OWEs etc.).
Old May 3, 19, 8:30 am

Doesn't the Manage my Booking section of the AY site include an upgrade tab?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: