Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Take your fellow passengers into consideration - suggestions

Take your fellow passengers into consideration - suggestions

Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by Trav1970
Another quality passenger is seated in 58Ö but puts his stuff in the compartment above row 1 in J.
This is something I'm guilty of. Not rows 1 & 58, and never in the wrong cabin class, but if I'm walking towards my (usually exit) row and see empty space a few rows before mine, I just put my stuff up there. Sitting at an exit row, the stuff needs to go up anyway, and if there's no space at my row, it's better (and makes boarding smoother for everyone) to just stuff it up there instead of having FA bring it to row 30 or whatever. Most times, this isn't a problem because I tend to board early and FAs tend to guard the bin space at the exit rows.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by _ra_
Personally, being very tall, I need every fraction of an inch of legspace.

There are plenty of people with their own restrictions. Babies must go to cot. Very overweight people need two seats (which ffay005 already alluded to). Disabled people, non-English speakers, UM, etc.

If you need legroom, book a legroom seat.

I myself suffer from extreme motion sickness. "I'm dealing with it on every single flight." I try to book window seats even if I have to pay for them. And if I don't, or if it's not enough, I deal with one way or another. It can get inconvenient and uncomfortable for me, if not worse. Yet I don't expect other passengers to deal with it and yield me their window seat or hold my sick bag.
ffay005, esledo and Clydez like this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:53 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, GC Jade
Originally Posted by ffay005
I find this post extremely selfish... Firstly, I care a lot more about my personal space than yours.
Oh the empathy. A little contradictory to first call someone selfish, and two sentences later say that you matter a lot more.

ISecondly, book exit rows.
Of course I do. But every once in a while all the exit seats are already gone, and I end up crammed into a regular seat.

Arguments aside, how would you suggest I respect your right to recline your seat if I’m sitting behind you? It’s not a convenience thing, it’s physically impossible.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
I'll add a few from both onboard and lounge experience. Honestly, I hope you are not guilty of any of those.

1. Whether you watch a nice movie, source inspiration from youtube videos or watch news, earphones/headphones have been developed to let you enjoy it without forced sharing with others.
2. Whatever the taste of your food or chewing gum is like, it is possible to enjoy it without having people in 5-meter radius with earphones plugged in hearing you clicking your tongue and other related sounds.
3. It's totally fine to have an important call, but letting the whole lounge know about it is not the best way. By the default design of phones, the microphone is so close to your mouth that there is no need to yell to have the person on the other side hear you.
4. (This is a bit disgusting, yet happening more often than you can imagine) Don't mess (s--t) the lounge toilets in a way that it looks worse than most of the public toilets. There is the magical tool prepared in every cabin to be used, not to be ignored. Not even the cleaning personnel is supposed to clean your s--t, let alone other passengers.
5. (This follows a recent non-AY situation I observed) If you are in long-haul economy and another passenger is lucky enough / granted by ground personnel to have a full row to lay down, do not break their space just because you scored an uncomfortable middle seat elsewhere.
Purjelentaja likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 3:22 pm

Oh the empathy. A little contradictory to first call someone selfish, and two sentences later say that you matter a lot more.

At least I'm honest about my selfishness. I guess most pax care more about their own space than that of others (which does NOT translate into pax hogging others' space, of course).

Arguments aside, how would you suggest I respect your right to recline your seat if I’m sitting behind you? It’s not a convenience thing, it’s physically impossible.
Oh, don't worry, it'll recline. Unless you've attached knee defenders to your tray table.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by on22cz
Whether you watch a nice movie, source inspiration from youtube videos or watch news, earphones/headphones have been developed to let you enjoy it without forced sharing with others.
Only this morning did someone decide to watch Youtube without headphones in the otherwise very quiet breakfast room at my hotel. This someone was not, as you might have expected, a six-year-old, but a middle-eaged man. At two tables around him, people tried to give him looks and shrugs, but he was too busy watching his video to notice. Much to his misfortune, at the third table was Mr Ffay005, who, in a friendly voice, asked this gentleman whether he happened to have any earphones with him. That did the trick.

I've once been semi-guilty of the same, though. AY006, couldn't sleep, sitting in Y next to a woman in her late 20s. I was watching 21 tapaa pilata avioliitto, with headphones of course, but once I realised that the characters in the movie are straight from my circle of friends, with the girl who's hiding in the sofa included, the tired me just couldn't stop laughing out loud. After a couple of laughs, I felt I had to apologize to my seatmate and explain to her in brief why I was laughing.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 6:59 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Trav1970
I especially "appreciate" passengers who board an airplane with a back-bag or some other kind of bag hanging from their shoulders, who make absolutely no effort to avoid hitting every other aisle passenger to their shoulders with the bag as they are trying to locate their own seat.
Being a big guy I also hate this as my shoulder is hitten a lot with backbags. When in J and if boarding early I tend to take the middle seat, at least until the window person arrives...often sitting in the middle seat the whole flight as often the window remains free anyway (if you check loads and select where to sit). More comfortable, no need to look out for carts hitting your knee etc..
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:47 pm

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
I find this post extremely selfish. The following will not sound very polite, but I think it’s better to be honest here (and hope we never sit in consecutive rows ).

Firstly, I care a lot more about my personal space than yours.
Funny that you think the two things going together, call somebody selfish who is exactly doing what you do. I can assure you that you won t recline in Y if I m sitting behind you. But most likely this won t happen - since I avoid bringing me in that situation.

But if you care so much about your own space, why don t you book J or even better take a private jet? If traveling in public transport a little thoughtfulness is needed by anyone involved. This "because I can" attitude is not helpful at all, and somebody startet this thread since he don t like this at all. Putting large things in the bins is exactly the same, the guys who are on board first can use all the space they want - since they don t care about fellow travelers.
dodgeflyer likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:14 am

Programs: AY Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, GC Jade
Oh, don't worry, it'll recline. Unless you've attached knee defenders to your tray table.
No, I’ve installed my knees to my tray table. Unless you recline hard enough to bend or break bones, there is physically no way to recline the seat.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by Ed Size
Funny that you think the two things going together, call somebody selfish who is exactly doing what you do.
I find that there's a certain difference between me, wanting the space that's allotted to me, and someone else, who wants both what's allotted to him and part of mine, too.

I've stated my argument. And since I have no desire to try to convert anyone, I believe this is a good point at which to end the recline discussion from my side.

Something else to bring up, though: bringing your own food on board. It's one of the things articles themed "what not to do on board" usually bring up, but I don't think I've ever been on a AY flight where this has been a problem. Has anyone witnessed those horror stories of strong-smelling curries or messy take-outs on board? Any reactions from you, fellow pax or the cabin crew?
Old Apr 14, 2019, 3:06 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo+LTG, FI Gold, DL Silver, BA, SK, AX Plat, Priority Pass, Marriott Ambassador & others
I find that there's a certain difference between me, wanting the space that's allotted to me, and someone else, who wants both what's allotted to him and part of mine, too.

I've stated my argument. And since I have no desire to try to convert anyone, I believe this is a good point at which to end the recline discussion from my side.

Something else to bring up, though: bringing your own food on board. It's one of the things articles themed "what not to do on board" usually bring up, but I don't think I've ever been on a AY flight where this has been a problem. Has anyone witnessed those horror stories of strong-smelling curries or messy take-outs on board? Any reactions from you, fellow pax or the cabin crew?
Surströmming?
ffay005 likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 3:30 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Has anyone witnessed those horror stories of strong-smelling curries or messy take-outs on board? Any reactions from you, fellow pax or the cabin crew?
Im not particularly proud of it, but in the days I used to travel by coach (not coach class, an actual bus), for long rides I would pull out a garlic kebab after boarding with the express goal of discouraging folks from sitting next to me, so I would have the 2 seats to myself.

It worked extremely well and never got any trouble for it. One day I also looked right in the eye a woman with her child who had boarded late and wanted me to move to an aisle in the back "very sorry madam but I showed up 30 minutes early so I could get this window seat."

Then one day the bus was completely full so the last passenger onboard sat next to me and my garlic kebab. She was a morbidly obese person who generously spilled on my seat and for the entire 8 hours rubbed her butt against mine. Some may say karma.
remymartin likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 4:06 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Thats all fine but in the moment the knees and legs of the guy behind you already in this place, your space is limited. Had this discussion a few times, guy in front of me called the cabin crew, cabin crew either ask the guy in front of me to put his seat up or gave me a seat with more leg room. Happily I don t have to face this situation anymore.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:30 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Has anyone witnessed those horror stories of strong-smelling curries or messy take-outs on board? Any reactions from you, fellow pax or the cabin crew?
I had a young woman next to me in J on a CKG-HEL flight. She was op-up on what seemed to be her very first international flight ever.
I'm pretty sure I've told the story before on FT, but here goes:

She had brought spicy Chongqing style chicken in a small toppits plastic bag, ie typical take-out style. Once her marvelling over the seat and the space was done, she climbed the armrest to get the bag out of the overhead bin, untied the knot and dug in. If memory serves me right, no chopsticks but finger food.

As we all know, Finnair service is slow, so she was able to finish it way before the starter came in. Once again, she marvelled and took many picture and was able to down this too.

Then the main arrived, and she looked at me with panic in her eyes and asked just how much food there would be coming...
Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum
Once a couple of years ago some young lady brought a pizza with her on a flight. I think it was FRA-HEL flight. Don't know the smell of this pizza and how did she eat it since luckily she sat far away from me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.