Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Take your fellow passengers into consideration - suggestions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Take your fellow passengers into consideration - suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2019, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by FFlash

For sure oversize bags are no-no.

All my cabin bags I buy are exactly fitted for ATR to the last millimeter, just for the sake that AY has so many of them and smaller makes no sense just to accomodate some few CRJ or turboprops of even smaller overhead bins where then I stuff my bag under seat or check in.
In OP picture I was one of the first to board but you must be #1 boarding ATR when having row 17-19 otherwise there is no overhead space left after the first item.
One of the reasons I choose to check bags is so I don't have to put anything at my feet. Given I only bring one item on board, you can bet it is going into the overhead locker.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 7:30 pm

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by FFlash

I am fully with you on this one.
Once I did a trick when a mate behind me said ”camoon” when I reclined my seat. I stood up, went to him and pushed the button and reclined his seat and said ”now you have your full original space and isnt it also nicer for you too” all this done in my best friendly manner and smile to not provocating him. It worked.
This one is sooo stupid, you don´t get your full original space, since the space around your knees is the important space, and thats gone if the guy in front of you recline. I really like to travel on FR if I need to travel in Y intra european - since simply no one can recline.

Reclining in Y is just a kind of an ego thing which I just don t get.
WelcometoHEL likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 7:35 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by Teppo
I also like the once with the skiing helmet, which is hanging at the backpack and dangling around, hitting fellow passengers, sitting in the aisle... so please, take it off
The solution to this is to WEAR your helmet so people might think you're a fighter pilot (as in, "Maverick, we got a bogey at 6 o'clock")

"
SPBanker, cistavoda, loimu and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 4:58 am

Programs: AY Platinum
My pet peeve is when people are sitting down or standing up and grabbing the seat back in front of them firmly with both hands without paying any attention to the fact that somebody is sitting there and is about to get a heavy shake from the person behind them. (People with reduced coordination due to age or other reasons are forgiven.)
ffay005, Trav1970, florens and 5 others like this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 5:04 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by Trav1970
I especially "appreciate" passengers who board an airplane with a back-bag or some other kind of bag hanging from their shoulders, who make absolutely no effort to avoid hitting every other aisle passenger to their shoulders with the bag as they are trying to locate their own seat.
Oh God, I hate these backpack people. Be it on the train, the tram or on the plane, where it's even worse because there's so little room. Once, just before the backpack hit my face, I just grabbed it and pulled real hard. I had lots of fun
SPBanker likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 6:22 am

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo, LX Senator, SK Life-time Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Ed Size
This one is sooo stupid, you don´t get your full original space, since the space around your knees is the important space, and thats gone if the guy in front of you recline. I really like to travel on FR if I need to travel in Y intra european - since simply no one can recline.

Reclining in Y is just a kind of an ego thing which I just don t get.
I guess we all have our own opinions about the recline manouver. I belong to the same team as Ed Size and for me the recliners are the worst that can happen. I always work on short-hauls and the recline makes working on the laptop more difficult. Fortunately I mainly travel with airlines where I am able to select the exit row where this is less of an issue. But when talking about taking your fellow passenger into consideration, I have not yet met the fellow passenger belonging to the recline team who would ask before performing the recline manouver whether it is OK or at least pre-warns about the forthcoming recline attack.
Ed Size and rickg523 like this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 6:30 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by mhle
....But when talking about taking your fellow passenger into consideration, I have not yet met the fellow passenger belonging to the recline team who would ask before performing the recline manouver whether it is OK or at least pre-warns about the forthcoming recline attack.
I ask when in J but slam it when in Y
Ed Size likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 6:34 am

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo, LX Senator, SK Life-time Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cistavoda
I ask when in J but slam it when in Y
Then it would be an honor to sit behind you in J but a nightmare in Y.
Ed Size and cistavoda like this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 6:38 am

If someone as civilized as cistavoda (the J version of his/her split personality) would really ask if recline attack is OK (which has yet never happened to me), I would thank him/her for asking and say that it is naturally OK.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
When getting up to go to the toilet: please please please don’t use the seat in front of you to pull yourself up. This habit for some passengers annoys the hell out of me. Hands grabbing my seat just behind my head, and then pulling the seat backwards while I try to take a nap or chill.
ffay005, florens, SPBanker and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by cistavoda
Suggestion: Why should I keep my stuff in my lap / under seat if you boarded late?
I tend to agree that the problem is not the people who place smaller items in the bins but the people who bring large items into the cabin and think that they are entitled to invade the bins. If no one would have larger trolleys, the problem would not exist.

Well, the real reason is that the airlines want to increase the revenue. It is not only the baggage fees but also more rows in the cabin resulting in less space for the baggage. I’m pretty sure that the renewal of the seats in ATRs will result in having 19 rows in every plane instead of some aircraft having only 17 rows.

It is not only the last rows of ATRs but also the first rows in Airbuses where the crew reserve the first bins. This is a problem if the C cabin only has a couple of rows.

I fully agree that passengers of the ATRs should have a possibility to put the luggage in the hold at the aircraft door. This works well for some US airlines and used to be the norm for KLM cityhopper Folker turbo props. In only way to be succesful is that the luggage is also delivered by the door.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 4:59 am

Programs: AY Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, GC Jade
I have to say I’m negatively surprised by the lack of consideration for the fellow passenger that’s evident in this discussion. Personally, being very tall, I need every fraction of an inch of legspace. All of my stuff always goes up, because I need all of my legspace for my legs, not my bags. Also, the seat in front of me will not recline, as my knees are against it already. No amount of pushing with the seatback, giving me nasty looks or explaining that it is your god-given right to recline your seat will make my thighbones any shorter. There is
no way to recline that seat. Deal with it on this one flight where you got the short stick and ended up with the seat in front of me. I’m dealing with it on every single flight.
Ed Size, Trav1970, florens and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 7:51 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by _ra_
Also, the seat in front of me will not recline, as my knees are against it already. No amount of pushing with the seatback, giving me nasty looks or explaining that it is your god-given right to recline your seat will make my thighbones any shorter. There is
no way to recline that seat. Deal with it on this one flight where you got the short stick and ended up with the seat in front of me. I’m dealing with it on every single flight.
+ 1 (Had this discussion a few times - even the crew could not help the guy in front of me)
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by _ra_
I have to say I’m negatively surprised by the lack of consideration for the fellow passenger that’s evident in this discussion. Personally, being very tall, I need every fraction of an inch of legspace. All of my stuff always goes up, because I need all of my legspace for my legs, not my bags. Also, the seat in front of me will not recline, as my knees are against it already. No amount of pushing with the seatback, giving me nasty looks or explaining that it is your god-given right to recline your seat will make my thighbones any shorter. There is
I find this post extremely selfish. The following will not sound very polite, but I think it’s better to be honest here (and hope we never sit in consecutive rows ).

Now I’m just waiting for the 200 kg FTer coming here and saying, okay, I need 1.5 seats so the person next to me will only get half a seat. Deal with it on this one flight where you got the short stick and ended up with the seat next to me…

Firstly, I care a lot more about my personal space than yours.

Secondly, book exit rows. If long legs are a problem, then clearly they are a problem of the owner of those legs and I really can’t see how they would become my problem. (Okay, I have fairly long legs, too, unfortunately, but I try to make sure they don’t become someone else’s problem.)
OH-LGG and Courmisch like this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo+LTG, FI Gold, DL Silver, BA, SK, AX Plat, Priority Pass, Marriott Ambassador & others
Another quality passenger is seated in 58Ö but puts his stuff in the compartment above row 1 in J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.