Wiki Posts
Search

Damaged suitcase - compensation

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX AY DL
Damaged suitcase - compensation

AY managed to rip a wheel from my suitcase flying TLL-HEL-ARN and now they're telling me to find an Accent store in Stockholm to replace the suitcase, max SEK 1000. None of the replacements is as good as my damaged one but I can't really find a purchase receipt for my previous suitcase. Advice or experiences anyone?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
In theory, AY is on the hook for the fair market value of the bag to a maximum of approximately SEK 15,300 (Montreal Convention), So, the real question is what is the fair market value of the bag. If you paid SEK 200 for it last year, it is not worth nearly that much today. Thus, what did you pay for the bag and how long ago? Taking that into account is the SEK 1,000 really that bad? How much will the replacement which you view as being of equal quality going to cost?

You may find that you do better with your travel insurance. But, if you do not have a receipt and the bag is several years old, you may run into the same problem.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 9:00 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I've been in a similar situation where a hardcase bag was completely shattered. It was literally in hundreds pieces, and I had to trash it at the airport after reporting the damage.

Once back home, Finnair insisted I go to a physical store and ask for it to be mended. A lot of back and forth before they realised that the bag was no more and a repair would have required some terminator-style melt-and-reassemble-technology. Then I was supposed to get a replacement bag at that physical store. I asked for cash instead (had no receipt of old bag) and got it in the end. (can't remember how much, maybe 500SEK, which was OK for a bag with a few years on the belt)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.