Wiki Posts
Search

EMER benefit baggage?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2019, 2:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
EMER benefit baggage?

Just noticed an e mail from AY reminding me of my up coming flight. We booked to RIX from LHR routing via HEL.The e mail while recognising that we had booked a hand baggage only fare says..
​​​​​​
Included in original ticket: 0 bag(s)
EMER benefit: 1
Maximum weight 23 kg (50 lbs)
Maximum dimensions: 158 cm (62 in)
I am BA gold. Does this mean that a hold bag can be carried?
Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:00 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Yes. AY HBO fares are unlike BA ones.
nivsy, Clydez and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:44 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Indeed. I always liked how I get treated by AY with champagne and free hold baggage. Kind of ironic to get treated better with AY than BA as BA frequent flyer.
Cupart likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Guess my worry is with checked bag from 350 arrival at HEL to The ATR flight to RIX is 55 minutes. Ok with checked bag or risky? Especially as getting away from LHR timely is not always possible. Perhaps safer with hand only? Do they abide to the 10kg hand bag limit? I assume carry on bag can be easily put in hold of ATR at the gate.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 4:25 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
While it is always safer to fly with HBO, in general they are quite good at HEL at handling checked baggage on short connections.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: TK *G, BA Gold
The allowance is 32kg per bag if you are a BA gold card holder (or EMER as finnair refer to it), not 23kg. On my emails from AY they can't even do simple maths since the email states 0 bags in total: 0 on original ticket and EMER benefit 1. 0+1 was 1 when I went to school.
florens likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by riku2
The allowance is 32kg per bag if you are a BA gold card holder (or EMER as finnair refer to it), not 23kg. On my emails from AY they can't even do simple maths since the email states 0 bags in total: 0 on original ticket and EMER benefit 1. 0+1 was 1 when I went to school.
Well, strictly speaking the allowance is 23 kg, but for J or OWE pax Finnair waives the heavy baggage fee. But there is no excuse for the maths
Old Apr 8, 2019, 5:14 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
Well, strictly speaking the allowance is 23 kg, but for J or OWE pax Finnair waives the heavy baggage fee. But there is no excuse for the maths
Bag weight is always a touchy subject and I'm puzzled that AY cannot get this displayed correctly.

I have a ZRH-HEL-HKG-SYD trip coming up all in J (late autumn) and on top of this I'm AY Platsku.

The app is showing
2 Carry-on bags + personal item total 10kg
4 checked bags + sports equipment max 23 kg each

So, nowhere, does it state that you actually can bring bags weighing up to 32kg as J pax... The PDF receipt also only shows 3 bags per PAX (fair enough as it's the standard for J) but nothing in weight restrictions.

Oh no it has to be not so straight forward but instead you have to actively search for it before being told that "excess" weight is free of charge for J PAX and/or Emerald Card holders...

"HEAVY BAG CHARGE
If you are travelling with a bag that weighs 23–32 kg (50–70 lb) or exceeds the standard size of 158 cm (62 in), excluding skis up to 220 cm (79 in) a heavy bag charge applies. The charge is waived up to 32 kg (70 lb) for customers travelling in Business Class and to Finnair Plus Platinum and oneworld Emerald members."

This week I have a CX flight in J to HKG and it's clearly marked what my bag limits are without the detective work implied by AY...

So, not very user friendly for PAX that don't fly that often and not being told exactly what they are entitled to...
Old Apr 8, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: TK *G, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Cupart
not very user friendly for PAX that don't fly that often and not being told exactly what they are entitled to...
Neither is the "baggage allowance: 0 or 1" that appears when you check your booking or get emails about it. what is the point really of giving such a vague figure at all rather than just saying "baggage allowance: check your e-ticket".

at least we have moved on from the time that the additional EMER baggage allowance was either increasing your single bag allowance from 23 -> 32kg or an additional bag of 23 (but the first bag must be <23). that was really buried away on their website.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Cupart
This week I have a CX flight in J to HKG and it's clearly marked what my bag limits are without the detective work implied by AY....
I have a CX flight later this week and checked the baggage allowance on their MMB. It simply says: "Ask the chat robot for your baggage allowance". It can't be told there, instead you have to pretend to have a conversation with a chat robot and then it tells your baggage allowance. At least it's accurate then. But I wouldn't describe it as customer friendly.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 7:50 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
Originally Posted by lkrt
I have a CX flight later this week and checked the baggage allowance on their MMB. It simply says: "Ask the chat robot for your baggage allowance". It can't be told there, instead you have to pretend to have a conversation with a chat robot and then it tells your baggage allowance. At least it's accurate then. But I wouldn't describe it as customer friendly.
It seems to be the companies that don't manage their core IT very well (check the CX forum for more info ) really shine when it comes to useless applications of new tech (first blockchain, now chatbots for CX)

Where is the AY chatbot!?!
Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by SuloL
I didn't try it lately, but AY used one on Facebook.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 2:17 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by SuloL

In Tallinn.
Steve_Hun likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.