Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Sudden BIG price bump for my route rest of the year - pricing error?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sudden BIG price bump for my route rest of the year - pricing error?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: AY+ Plat (OWE)
I don't know your preferred schedules but have you tried multi-city bookings AMS-HEL-KUO and v.v. ?
Sometimes you can squeeze 50-100€ off from simple return bookings this way since AY booking engine will not always offer all possible alternatives.
If you can find a cheaper price it is practically always on the expense of longer transfer times in HEL.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 12:56 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Yes, look up the term "Married segments".

The AMS-KUO route is priced-controlled separately from AMS-HEL and HEL-KUO. Just because lets say fare class Z is available on both AMS-HEL and HEL-KUO, it doesn't mean Z is available on AMS-HEL-KUO. On AMS-HEL-KUO they perhaps cheapest available fare class is K and thus a much higher price.

This is revenue management working, looking to get the highest price possible on a route they think will accept it, while not raising prices on the separate legs individually, as they think those customers will not accept it.
EuroFlash likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
It makes sense. KL and HV compete with AY on HEL<->AMS, not to mention SK, LH, BT indirectly. But nobody competes on KUO<->AMS.
EuroFlash likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
Alright peeps, thanks a lot. I know what to do, and that's gonna be one of the three depending on the situation:
  • Booking seperate Finnair tix
  • And if cheaper: avoiding Finnair on the AMS-HEL route. They are definitely losing me here with such ridicilous prices to see my loved one
  • Or tricking the system by booking reversed trips, as I usually book a bunch of trips at once anyways. Prices from KUO are luckily priced normally
Still having my fingers crossed that prices return back to normal, or that this is just an error.

But c'mon guys. Increasing prices with 60%+ to 420 euro minimum for a return from AMS to KUO, while they offer €200 return trips from ARN to LAX. What a joke.
Revenue management my *ss
Old Apr 4, 2019, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by Bdsm
This particular agency on the Finnish side changed some of the ticketing rules recently, only about 30 per cent of staff now allowed in business class (was approx. 60-65 per cent before) hence the substantial fare increase for economy.
So are you saying that fewer people who do KUO-AMS-KUO now travel in business class than before? Wouldn't this only bump KUO-AMS-KUO prices but not AMS-KUO-AMS prices?
Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

OP is also guilty of driving up fares as he travels so frequently. Platinum by segments and this route alone?
Haha would one frequent flyer on one specific route drive up fares? I find it hard to believe that. Yes, platinum by segments 100% on this route.

Last edited by EuroFlash; Apr 4, 2019 at 3:20 pm
Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

There you have it. The robot detected your demand pattern. Add few eurocrats and you have your reasons for this increase.
I travel the route only once or twice a month. I really find this hard to believe, but well you may be right
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:09 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Another plat here who is demeaned by the same robot who saw, by infiltration capability to SAS systems, that I switch to fly to SK if the AY prices are not attractive so I am now in fact enjoying platinumcheapo pricing to ARN.
Also, the same robot realized that my shoe number is big so now the robot automatically assignes me extra legroom seats.
I also fly to KUO few times and prices for me are low there too since the robot sees that I dont want to go there and my business is not medical
Old Apr 7, 2019, 11:53 am
Original Poster

I just remembered this email a fellow FT’er got a while ago. Funnily enough they announce the below chance as per 1st of April. That’s the exact date on which the prices from Amsterdam were raised with 60%. Could it have anything to do with this?

Finnair is preparing to launch a new travel class, Premium Economy to our offering in 2021 and to ensure that we are able to start selling this new travel class, we need to make technical changes to our booking class structure.

Therefore, four booking classes, P, T, W and R, will be taken out of our inventory to make room for the upcoming Premium Economy Bookings.

(...) We hereby inform you that as of 1st of April 2019, any of the applicable of the four booking classes (P, T, W and R) will no longer be available."
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:04 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Very interesting observation and could very well be connected.
The removal of P,T,W,R, while replaced by other fare classes, could have triggered the problem with the through-fare not being able to book in lower priced classes.
EuroFlash likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 11:10 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo+LTG, FI Gold, DL Silver, BA, SK, AX Plat, Priority Pass, Marriott Ambassador & others
Originally Posted by intuition
Very interesting observation and could very well be connected.
The removal of P,T,W,R, while replaced by other fare classes, could have triggered the problem with the through-fare not being able to book in lower priced classes.
Well, testing of IT system changes in the production system and having customers perform all the testing has traditionally been the easiest way of finding bugs in any configuration. Not saying this is what happened, but...
Old Apr 10, 2019, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Update: now prices the other way around (so from KUO to AMS) have risen to great heights for many dates (not all though...) I do expect it does have something to do with the removal of P,T,W,R and I filed a complaint about it, but obviously this can take a while and will probably have 0 effect.

Last edited by EuroFlash; Apr 10, 2019 at 11:27 am
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by EuroFlash
I do expect it does have something to do with the removal of P,T,W,R and I filed a complaint about it, but obviously this can take a while and will probably have 0 effect.
Most probably it will, yes. The agent who copy-pastes replies to ten emails per hour takes a cursory read, interprets it as one of those your-prices-are-too-high complaints, seeks a suitable copypaste reply and proceeds to the next email.

What you need to do if you want them to really investigate is to call in as many times as needed until you need an agent who understands that there really is something wrong here. That agent then knows how to proceed and whom to talk to.

By the way, looking at ARN prices, simple ARN-HEL-ARN roundtrips seem to be priced €100+ during the summer. I don't think I've ever seen them this high.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:24 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by ffay005
Most probably it will, yes. The agent who copy-pastes replies to ten emails per hour takes a cursory read, interprets it as one of those your-prices-are-too-high complaints, seeks a suitable copypaste reply and proceeds to the next email.
So well put, I almost thought I did the post under false name and forgot about it
Old May 16, 2019, 3:22 am
Original Poster

UPDATE:

"You are right, Finnair made some changes on booking classes from 1st of April on. I forwarded your inquiry to the department in charge and they have investigated the case. They say that they have not made any bigger fare adjustments as such, meaning true fare changes. One thing that of course has happened is that since we are not any more selling for example the previous R class the next fare basis Z has been adjusted to have same fare level that R has been.

Also the adjustment of availability of certain fare classes has been made in inventory after your inquiry and availability should be better now compared to the situation in early April. As you surely know there are always restricted amount of each fare available though and unfortunately I am not able to influence on that. However, I have forwarded your valuable feedback to the team in question. "
florens, on22cz, Jainzar and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.