AY / QF codeshares

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:30 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
AY / QF codeshares

According to airlineroute:

Finnair and QANTAS Group from the launch of Northern summer 2019 season is expanding codeshare partnership to New Zealand, as well as Jetstar Airways service between Australia and Japan. From 31MAR19, planned new codeshare routes cover the following.

Finnair operated by Jetstar
Cairns – Osaka Kansai

Finnair operated by QANTAS
Brisbane – Auckland
Brisbane – Christchurch
Brisbane – Queenstown
Melbourne – Auckland
Melbourne – Christchurch
Melbourne – Wellington
Sydney – Auckland
Sydney – Christchurch
Sydney – Queenstown
Sydney – Wellington
Cupart likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Interesting... to NZ, CX would have be more straightforward, at least where it flies.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBG
Jetstar route probably irrelevant for most of us, but from speaking to Aussies over the years, it's an airline to avoid. Garbage LCC (note that Jetstar Japan, the domestic LCC, is not the same and slightly better).
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Superrman
Jetstar route probably irrelevant for most of us, but from speaking to Aussies over the years, it's an airline to avoid. Garbage LCC (note that Jetstar Japan, the domestic LCC, is not the same and slightly better).
It actually looks like a good route: HEL-KIX-CNS is a shorter detour than HEL-SIN-SYD. I assume that there are no lie-flat beds on the flight.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I only have one experience (DRW-SIN), but I found the airline quite adequate. I booked an exit seat in advance for a very reasonable price. For AY pax, a meal was included, and the meals they sell are reasonably priced, as well. The flight was on time and quite comparable to a MAD flight (of similar length) with AY in Y.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:34 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Courmisch
Interesting... to NZ, CX would have be more straightforward, at least where it flies.
Yeah, for AKL the CX107/108 had good timing with AY69/70 (just not allowing the normal 8h+ delay of AY69 though). But the route has been increasingly difficult to book on AY the past few years at decent prices and now fare easily runs into the 15 000 € range.

So maybe there is no will to make that connection work (on one or the other side), hence the Australia-detour.

For the other NZ dest there are no direct CX flights.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:43 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
And yes, my money is firmly on "avoid Jetstar". Perhaps it is Australian regulations that allows it, but having a ticket with them means squat if they decide they don't want to fly on that day.
Isochronous and Superrman like this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:09 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
As a Qantas FF I avoid JQ. Occasionally I have no choice - and I keep my fingers crossed when I have to. they are fine when everything goes according to plan however QF usually disown the JQ organisation when something goes wrong; service recovery is usually very LCC - and Australia has no EU261 equivalent.

For AY elites flying JQ Y: doubtful that even on a AY codeshare you'd have lounge access. No: enhanced OW luggage allowance; priority security; priority boarding.

Trans-tasman is a mixed-bag for QF fleet: most are 737s (operated by QF NZ Franchise Jetconnect), some QF operated 737s with the occasional QF operated 330 thrown in to the mix. QF Lounge in AKL is well overdue it's scheduled refurbishment.

Regards,

BD
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:33 pm

AY77 to KIX arrives at 8.55 and then AY6425 (Jetstar) to CNS departs at 21.00. Is the idea that you spend 12 hours at KIX on the way to Australia?
intuition and Superrman like this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:29 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, TK Elite
I've flown JQ (or Sh*itstar) a couple of times and it wasn't any way nice experience.
You do get a meal and entertainment with your AY Y codeshare but no lounge access and no seat selection. Even 787 feel really cramped (because they are) and narrowbodies are even worse.
But HEL-KIX-CNS is probably the easiest way to go and see the Great Barrier Reef
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by intuition
For the other NZ dest there are no direct CX flights.
CX fly HKG-CHC seasonably
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ...tional_Airport

Originally Posted by BD1959
Trans-tasman is a mixed-bag for QF fleet: most are 737s (operated by QF NZ Franchise Jetconnect), some QF operated 737s with the occasional QF operated 330 thrown in to the mix. QF Lounge in AKL is well overdue it's scheduled refurbishment.
The QF NZ Franchise Jetconnect effectively ceased to exist 31 March 2018. Now do not get "operated by Jetconnect" in the booking process. The NZ rego aircraft have over time been transferred to the Australian VH registration. Trans Tasman now Au mainline crewed in my experience on the routes I fly.I often fly trans Tasman on JQ. In my direct experience better on time performance than VA or NZ. Have never had a flight cancelled. Cannot say that for VA or NZ. I usally buy an exit row seat on any airline I fly Au<----->NZ. To me not a lot of difference to any other A320/B737 flying TT

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 13, 2019 at 12:50 pm Reason: Added "now do not get operated by Jetconnect in the booking"
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:30 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
I suspect AY still codeshares on HKG CNS with CX?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:49 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by Isochronous
I suspect AY still codeshares on HKG CNS with CX?
AY5833 is HKG-CNS-BNE op by CX, yes.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:38 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
I often fly trans Tasman on JQ. In my direct experience better on time performance than VA or NZ. Have never had a flight cancelled. Cannot say that for VA or NZ. I usally buy an exit row seat on any airline I fly Au<----->NZ. To me not a lot of difference to any other A320/B737 flying TT
I think NZ has gone downhill but can't say I have the extensive experience on either.
I've only flew JQ domestic AU and domestic NZ and on all occasions it has been poor LCC experience.

On a MEL-SYD, in true LCC fashion, there was a plane but no crew. The fish&chips I preordered and paid handsomely for was there, but only god knows how many segments it had been onboard and in the oven. Inedible is often thrown around on FT but you would need a cow's digestive system and plenty of liquids to pass that.

I think the main raison d'etre for JQ is to show people how bad it can be, in order for them to accept the higher prices on QF
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:19 am

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
The QF NZ Franchise Jetconnect effectively ceased to exist 31 March 2018. The NZ rego aircraft have over time been transferred to the Australian VH registration. Trans Tasman now Au mainline crewed in my experience on the routes I fly.
This confused the heck out of me - because I was certain that I hadn't imagined Kiwi crews on TT in the last year. Seems although the fleet has transferred, JetConnect does still crew some services:

https://qantas.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com...in-Crew_R57108

Regards,

BD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.