Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Boarding Airbus at gate via rear stairs in HEL?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY+ Platsku, IC Plat. Amb., HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, etc.

I just boarded an A321 to FRA at HEL gate 20. Rows beyond 18 are being asked to walk across the wet tarmac and board via the rear door. I haven't seen this before.

The cabin attendant said this a new policy at certain gates to speed up boarding.

Does anyone know how long this has been going on and which gates might be affected?
r2d2 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:19 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Looks like AY has read FT and is doing what @intuition suggested (albeit for widebodies).

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30797358-post3270.html

I'd give a Burnsian 'Excellent' for this:
Door 1 -> F
Door 2 -> J
Y do tarmac boarding via door 4
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:25 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mebe
I just boarded an A321 to FRA at HEL gate 20. Rows beyond 18 are being asked to walk across the wet tarmac and board via the rear door. I haven't seen this before.

The cabin attendant said this a new policy at certain gates to speed up boarding.

Does anyone know how long this has been going on and which gates might be affected?
DY, HV and others have had this for ages. I would guess anything gate 23 and below is at risk.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
I have seen this before when a flight was about to miss its slot. Really speeds up boarding.time.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 10:08 am

Programs: TK *G, BA Gold
they have this at ARN. There is even a display halfway along the jet bridge to show which rows should go downstairs and across the tarmac. But nobody is going to force you to go that way or turn you back at the aircraft door. So just ignore it it you don't want to go outside.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 11:26 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by riku2
they have this at ARN. There is even a display halfway along the jet bridge to show which rows should go downstairs and across the tarmac. But nobody is going to force you to go that way or turn you back at the aircraft door. So just ignore it it you don't want to go outside.
Yeah, lets all make our own rules and do as we want. The process is for the benefit of all pax, someone going to row 28 via L1 and same time all well behaving pax in row 19 boarding via tarmac makes the experience smooth for all, right?
EuroFlash, on22cz, r2d2 and 4 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.