FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Finnair | Finnair Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus-636/)
-   -   questions about Connecting in HEL (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus/1958806-questions-about-connecting-hel.html)

IncyWincy Mar 1, 2019 10:59 am

questions about Connecting in HEL

It have been a few years since my last visit to HEL , and never transitted there. Would appreciate kind help from experts here. Thank you very much in advance.

This is regarding someone flying HKG-HEL on AY102, arriving at 16.15 and then flying on another ticket HEL-ARN-LHR (AY815 1730/1730 and BA781 1805/1950).

Q1: I believe that Minimum Connection Time in this case in HEL is either 35 or 40 minutes. Correct?

Q2: At HEL, both the incoming (from HKG) and outgoing (to ARN) flights are AY. From experience, how long does it take to go between gates?

Q3: The AY website says when flying AY-AY luggage will be checked through. From this site, it seems that that is only if both tickets are on "105" stock. In this case, one is on CX, the other BA Avios (long story). Will AY check through luggage from HKG to LHR?

Q4: If flight HKG-HEL AY102 comes in late such that passenger cannot catch AY815 HEL-ARN (separate ticket using BA Avios), will AY accomodate on next flight seeing that it is AY that came in late?

Many thanks again.

intuition Mar 1, 2019 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by IncyWincy (Post 30835897)
Q3: The AY website says when flying AY-AY luggage will be checked through. From this site, it seems that that is only if both tickets are on "105" stock. In this case, one is on CX, the other BA Avios (long story). Will AY check through luggage from HKG to LHR?

Not sure I know/understand that ticketing, but if you are able to check-in with a Cathay agent, they are able to check-through, as they have a different policy than Finnair. I've done it on occasions, but then again my first flight was KA/CX marketed and operated. I understand you hold a CX issued ticket (160 stock) on a AY marketed and AY operated flight, so while your contract is with CX it may very well be that they will check-in based on AY policy (ie no through check on separate tickets).

IncyWincy Mar 2, 2019 4:23 am

Originally Posted by Bdsm (Post 30836216)
1. MCT does not really matter if you have separate tickets.
2. HEL-ARN connection takes longer as you need to enter Finland. Also longer distance to walk in the airport, especially if HKG is gate arrival. HEL-LHR is a lot shorter even by bus arrival but especially for gate arrival. However, I only talk about hand luggage connections - if you need to collect your luggage, you need to enter Finland. Check in closes some time before departure as well, ARN connection is unlikely. LHR is later but you need to pass through passport control again.
3. No.
4. No.

IncyWincy Mar 2, 2019 4:25 am

Originally Posted by Bdsm (Post 30836216)
1. MCT does not really matter if you have separate tickets.
2. HEL-ARN connection takes longer as you need to enter Finland. Also longer distance to walk in the airport, especially if HKG is gate arrival. HEL-LHR is a lot shorter even by bus arrival but especially for gate arrival. However, I only talk about hand luggage connections - if you need to collect your luggage, you need to enter Finland. Check in closes some time before departure as well, ARN connection is unlikely. LHR is later but you need to pass through passport control again.
3. No.
4. No.

Thank you very much for your help.

I mentioned MCT because it is good reference for considering whether there is enough time to do whatever is needed, ie, go from gate to gate. For the short time listed for MCT I thought 75 min would be more than enough , assuming that there is no need to re-check luggage.

So your advice is that even without having to re-check luggage, 75 min is not enough?

Thank you.

IncyWincy Mar 2, 2019 4:27 am

Originally Posted by intuition (Post 30836454)
Not sure I know/understand that ticketing, but if you are able to check-in with a Cathay agent, they are able to check-through, as they have a different policy than Finnair. I've done it on occasions, but then again my first flight was KA/CX marketed and operated. I understand you hold a CX issued ticket (160 stock) on a AY marketed and AY operated flight, so while your contract is with CX it may very well be that they will check-in based on AY policy (ie no through check on separate tickets).

Thank you for your help.

If AY means that they need both tickets to be on AY stock, they should say so on their website , at the moment, what is stated is very misleading.

SPBanker Mar 2, 2019 5:58 am

Originally Posted by IncyWincy (Post 30838262)
Thank you very much for your help.

I mentioned MCT because it is good reference for considering whether there is enough time to do whatever is needed, ie, go from gate to gate. For the short time listed for MCT I thought 75 min would be more than enough , assuming that there is no need to re-check luggage.

So your advice is that even without having to re-check luggage, 75 min is not enough?

Thank you.

If your arriving flight is even more or less on time, 75 minutes should be plenty. HEL is not _that_ big. I don't know what passport you hold, though. EU citizens will be through Schengen passport control much faster, which can be significant, if there are several flights e.g. from China arriving at the same time.

intuition Mar 2, 2019 7:58 am

Originally Posted by IncyWincy (Post 30838265)
Thank you for your help.

If AY means that they need both tickets to be on AY stock, they should say so on their website , at the moment, what is stated is very misleading.

Yes, the public statement is bad and the entire policy is flawed. I believe AY is only acting to the letter of some decree from oneWorld. All airlines adopted this policy simlutaneous. Some decent airlines have since rolled it back, including CX and QR.
AY sticks to it like superglue.