Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Efficient ways to earn Platinum

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2019, 4:05 am

Programs: AY+
Originally Posted by aama
To give you guys an example of the CX Core fare I found a routing that earns 43p/€
That's a great deal, I spent a little bit of time playing around with CX routings now because of your comment, and while I couldn't find anything as good as this I did realize that flying CPH-NRT with CX gives way better AY+ points than using AY...
An ~850 EUR return ticket can give 27000 points depending on the fare class, which is way better than what you can expect with AY with similar prices regardless of tier status. So if you want to make good AY+ points flying from northern Europe to Japan, not AY but CX is the way to go apparently.

But how did you find such a good routing?
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Some CX fares are really cheap to South-East Asia. Not to Japan though, at least not right now.

It helps a lot that Cathaypacific.com now accepts HEL as input.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: AY GOLD, HH GOLD
Yep South-East Asia is the way to go with CX through AMS&HKG for example. Too bad you can't look for their Core fare in any other search engines other than their own. The routing I found was HEL-BKK with multiple stops & good fare!
Old Feb 18, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum, IHG Diamond, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by aama
Yep South-East Asia is the way to go with CX through AMS&HKG for example. Too bad you can't look for their Core fare in any other search engines other than their own. The routing I found was HEL-BKK with multiple stops & good fare!
Never realized CX fares were this good. Any idea on status benefits on CX?
Old Feb 18, 2019, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by joonasv
Their Core fare is similar to AY's Value. Haven't flown them yet so no clue about benefits.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 1:34 pm

These fares are also good if not HEL based. You can find them with help of matrix and book with help of bookwithmatrix. OUL, VAA, KUO and so on.
From HEL they are available on CX site. Search them on matrix by adding F bc=v in the advanced routing second box.
For now HKT should be the best miles/euro destination. Stops in western part europe for more miles. I would prefer LHR, but BCN should also be possible.
For the hard core runner, have a look at AKL. 😋
Old Feb 18, 2019, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by seldomrfly
These fares are also good if not HEL based. You can find them with help of matrix and book with help of bookwithmatrix. OUL, VAA, KUO and so on.
From HEL they are available on CX site. Search them on matrix by adding F bc=v in the advanced routing second box.
For now HKT should be the best miles/euro destination. Stops in western part europe for more miles. I would prefer LHR, but BCN should also be possible.
Thanks for the tip in matrix, totally forgot that you can nowadays add code for specific fare code!

Now this gets even more interesting
Old Feb 18, 2019, 1:43 pm

Putting "F bc=v" in the advanced routing box was a great tip, I was manually sorting out the cheap fare classes so this makes it much easier.

But I just cannot get bookwithmatrix to work, whatever I do. I don't know if I'm just stupid and doing something wrong, but every time I find a trip I like and try to enter it, I get an outrageous price suggestion instead of what the matrix showed me (like 6000 EUR or something).
Old Feb 18, 2019, 2:02 pm

Note that CX codeshares on Lufthansa Group flights on some routes. For example, I found CX6556/SN2288 OSL-BRU and CX6722/LH865 OSL-FRA. I presume that these give zero AY points, so pay attention to what you book. I didn't find any codeshares on Star Alliance from ARN, CPH or HEL.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Courmisch
Not to Japan though, at least not right now.
Well, I am finding return tickets to Japan (CPH-NRT) now with V fare class for ~650 EUR.
You have to be a bit flexible to get this price it seems like, but it's a pretty good deal giving 27000 points. I'll probably try CX next time I book a trip to Japan if this price is still available.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 3:53 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, GA Plat, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by joonasv
Identical, if not better, than with AY as Platsku. First class lounges (one of the best out there @HKG), first class check-in and boarding, SATS Premier Check-in area @SIN, personalized greetings, free Evian-bottle in Y (wrapped discreatly in a towel), etc.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 1:22 am

I had never heard of CX Core before. Thank you for the hint. Maybe there are some intra-Asia mr opportunities utilizing this?
Old Feb 19, 2019, 1:27 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by joxer
I had never heard of CX Core before. Thank you for the hint. Maybe there are some intra-Asia mr opportunities utilizing this?
I wish, but as I've been trying to buy intra-Asian flights, CX has always been amongst the most expensive options. So indeed quite a different experience than when travelling to Asia ex-HEL.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:20 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Originally Posted by Unsub
Identical, if not better, than with AY as Platsku. First class lounges (one of the best out there @HKG), first class check-in and boarding, SATS Premier Check-in area @SIN, personalized greetings, free Evian-bottle in Y (wrapped discreatly in a towel), etc.
Water bottle wrapped discreetly in a towel, or presented with yellow post-it -sticker with your name and welcome greetings written on it Seat block for OWEs is not working automatically, but last time I flew with them, it was done manually: we were two AY Plats on first row of Y with some 3rd passenger next to us and already before departure FA came to reseat him elsewhere to arrange us more space, leaving the middle seat empty for us. That I call excellent service! All this of course depends on the crew, sometimes it is just great and sometimes quite indifferent.

For several Asian-Pacific destinations, including AKL, it is worth checking also AY to HKG and onwards on AY code-shares operated by CX, giving also tier bonus for CX legs. Sometimes they are surprisingly affordable.
ffay005 and Clydez like this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Feb 21, 2019 at 9:38 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum
Hi all. Long time lurker but now I have to register. I'm platsku and flying 90% my my flights pure leisure. Currently I'm sitting at HEL in seat 6F heading to LHR doing MR to CHC with CX ticket. 1080€ gives me 41700 pts in economy. Now need to go flight mode..
ffay005, FFlash, on22cz and 3 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.