Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair, stop waitlisted upgrades!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2019, 4:07 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, SAS Gold (butt in seat)
As I wrote, I had a waitlisted upgrade for 2 pax on HEL-FRA on a sunday evening - heavy flight always.
On T-7 and T-1, me still being wailisted, there were 4 resp. 3 seats in Business available.
During CI I asked the agent to upgrade me with the chosen vouchers, which worked out simply fine

She explained later, they are keeping these remaining seats (and where is this threshold at) for late incoming/connecting higher tiers, and latest upgrade possibility for a low gold like me would be at boarding gate.

My bottom line here is: Always ask for your upgrade proactively!

Caro
Old Feb 28, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
So, this Gold is currently waitlisting upgrades for HEL-SIN and SIN-HEL. My guess is they won't clear until I reach Plat again, but we'll see. Plat in early May, SIN in mid-June.

By the way, I was not allowed to choose Y+ seats without paying for them right away. I'll have to wait until Plat to assign myself Y+ seats.
Carotthat likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by ffay005
By the way, I was not allowed to choose Y+ seats without paying for them right away. I'll have to wait until Plat to assign myself Y+ seats.
Exits. Better than Y comfort.
Ed Size likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, SAS Gold (butt in seat)
So, this Gold is currently waitlisting upgrades for HEL-SIN and SIN-HEL. My guess is they won't clear until I reach Plat again, but we'll see. Plat in early May, SIN in mid-June.

And you'd have to pay for the booze
Old Mar 1, 2019, 4:04 am

I have never managed upgrade SIN flight, in either direction. Apparently some silly people actually pay money for it
Old Mar 1, 2019, 4:11 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by reflektia
I have never managed upgrade SIN flight, in either direction. Apparently some silly people actually pay money for it
And in your view airlines only offer J cabin to be able to grant upgrades...?
Old Mar 1, 2019, 4:52 am

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
Originally Posted by Post Scriptum
Sigh, I can add datapoint of call to CS not releasing the upgrade. In total 9 J seats are taken, no availability in the tool (I still assume that all those 9 J-seats are F-fare) but "the other department" can not release the upgrade, so assuming it will stay in the waitlist at least until the T-15?
Or has anyone observed any other patterns, I called CS on Monday so has anyone got better luck of making more frequent calls? I doubt it is worthwhile to call often but clearly the waitlist is truly a waitlist even if the business class is practically empty.
I would assume there would be a sale coming soon but at this stage, only business saver and business seats are available so no campaign fare for business.
Called CS today, little less than 2 months before departure, after pushing it for checking (sounded like CS was quite familiar to doing it, maybe sighed a bit, in a good way from my view) upgrade cleared in 1-2 hour or so now Im okay with waitlisting
Actually 13/13 for upgrades with points and vouchers now, incl one HEL-SIN.
ffay005 and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 5:41 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat

Perhaps OP referring to people paying for upgrades?

That is today's reality, loyalty upgrades are not first in line. They prefer getting ancillary revenue over clearing the liabilities from vouchers/points off of balance sheet.
Purjelentaja likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat

sorry, forgot /sarcasm -tag
Old Mar 1, 2019, 3:52 pm

First post to the forum, whii...

I got one direction (HEL-SIN) cleared using vouchers within hours, but the SIN-HEL upgrade with points is still waitlisted. Last time I had the same approach and both legs were cleared, HEL-SIN (with vouchers again) within hours and SIN-HEL (with points) one hour after calling CS and asking about it (had been in the waitlist for three weeks or so). Pure luck I guess...
NoWindowSeat and SPBanker like this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:20 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by ConTraFly
First post to the forum, whii...

I got one direction (HEL-SIN) cleared using vouchers within hours, but the SIN-HEL upgrade with points is still waitlisted. Last time I had the same approach and both legs were cleared, HEL-SIN (with vouchers again) within hours and SIN-HEL (with points) one hour after calling CS and asking about it (had been in the waitlist for three weeks or so). Pure luck I guess...
Congrats on the upgrades and welcome to the FT and AY+ Forum! We are mostly harmless.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:45 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I was about to suggest we call it Waste-listing but realised the pun was much better spoken than written (the simple misspell waistlist doesn't really convey my message!)
FFlash likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBG
Originally Posted by intuition
I was about to suggest we call it Waste-listing but realised the pun was much better spoken than written (the simple misspell waistlist doesn't really convey my message!)
That is, until you tighten the waist in order to afford revenue J because upgrades never clear
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
Originally Posted by Superrman
That is, until you tighten the waist in order to afford revenue J because upgrades never clear
In simplicity, revenue managements policy and internal instructions to govern upgrade space is called waistline.

Very often we are tempted to ask CSC to reveal what is going on behind the waistline, which can, for some reason, interpreted wrongly...
Superrman likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by intuition
Well, I have heard they themselves call the waitlist ”ventti” which is a finnish version of swedish ”vänta”=wait, but ironically that ”ventti” also refers to playing cards. I had a wide grin and smile when I heard first time that

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.