Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair, stop waitlisted upgrades!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:46 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by seldomrfly
and they can't fill up the J-cabin with F seats just because some whining elites requests an upgrade 7 months ahead.
I never asked that much time in advance, most of the time itīs something between 2 - 6 weeks. And I often saw the situation that it was hard or impossible to get upgrades/awards while the J cabin was full of operational upgrades due to oversold Y.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:47 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
I'd really like to know which airline(s) do it better and grant 90% instant upgrades for long haul bookings 3-4 months out?

Happy landings,
Not sure if it was rhetorical, but I'll bite

No, I can't name such a FF program. But the bigger picture for me, as a longhaul J traveller, is that one of the few useful perks in Finnair+ is the upgrade vouchers.

I appreciate the upgrades can represent different things to different travellers. On one extreme, it is more of a lottery ticket and as such being on a waitlist just adds to the excitement.
In the middle field perhaps flyers count on it to clear, but don't care if it doesn't.

Perhaps I am on the other extreme, but to me the vouchers are worthless unless 100% confirmed. The "implied contract" between AY and me has been that I fly all my longhauls in J with Finnair. I pay full price for 80% of them, and for that last 20% of J flights, they only charge a Y ticket.

For me, and probably for those who mainly fly longhaul J year after year, the upgrade voucher is not just another marketing give-away - it is a part of the yearly budget as they represent around 10-15% discount of total cost.

This makes the real question (to me) "What airlines will take me to Asia in J 4-5 times a year within my budget".
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:08 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
I can completely relate to both Ed and intuition and their views on this. However, the problem is not solved by axing the wait list. It would require much more sophisticated system, which I unfortunately do not see on the horizon.
Ed Size likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by intuition
But the bigger picture for me, as a longhaul J traveller, is that one of the few useful perks in Finnair+ is the upgrade vouchers.
This also kicks in if you are consider that you never get an operational upgrade as a top tier flyer. If I go with an airline that still offers F, I would have a good chance that I either get operational upgrades or upgrades with points/vouchers getting cleared. (which is a nice touch but....). So you never fly in a class you never would book.

Itīs the overall product that leads you to an specific airline, and as I said AY still offers a solid product, but itīs going downhill from my perspective. (the "new" seats on the A350 alone are reason enough to go elsewhere).
NoWindowSeat likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:15 am

It would require much more sophisticated system, which I unfortunately do not see on the horizon.
The sophisticated system is already there - talk to an CS rep who understands your problem and who knows that they can do something which is not on page 1 of their book, but this needs some commitment by the staff.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:22 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Oh, absolutely. No axing of waitlist!

I see several options, some already vented in the thread. But realistically speaking, I too think there might not be any changes any time soon.
Ed Size and EuroFlash like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:25 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
I think UA uses a specific fare bucket for elites. Maybe that would be a way for AY, too. Return availability to the previous levels, but move anything currently hidden (can it be 50-75%?) to a new bucket that will only be visible in the online upgrade tool when logged-in as Lumo/Plat - in addition to the standard F bucket. All Golds* and lower would still use the F bucket only. They could also consider that Lumo upgrade would clear any time when I is available. Or if implementing the new fare bucket would be too difficult, they could just set a rule that any time I is available, Lumo/Plat can still upgrade (they would open up F seat). This would be TK/A3 style.
It would create more transparent environment for our upgrades, but it would also mean any additional waitlist clearance would be confirmed 12-24 hours before departure (by rule). I believe the problem for many is that there is a lack of information whether the request clears immediately, or will remain waitlisted for unspecified period of time. While this wouldn't remove the waitlist lottery, it sure would make life of many easier - be it an acceptance of Y trip risk, or booking on another airline.

*Sorry, but there is too many Golds to include them in the exceptional bucket rule.
ffay005, esledo and Purjelentaja like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:37 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Originally Posted by on22cz
I think UA uses a specific fare bucket for elites. Maybe that would be a way for AY, too. Return availability to the previous levels, but move anything currently hidden (can it be 50-75%?) to a new bucket that will only be visible in the online upgrade tool when logged-in as Lumo/Plat - in addition to the standard F bucket. All Golds* and lower would still use the F bucket only. They could also consider that Lumo upgrade would clear any time when I is available. Or if implementing the new fare bucket would be too difficult, they could just set a rule that any time I is available, Lumo/Plat can still upgrade (they would open up F seat). This would be TK/A3 style.
It would create more transparent environment for our upgrades, but it would also mean any additional waitlist clearance would be confirmed 12-24 hours before departure (by rule). I believe the problem for many is that there is a lack of information whether the request clears immediately, or will remain waitlisted for unspecified period of time. While this wouldn't remove the waitlist lottery, it sure would make life of many easier - be it an acceptance of Y trip risk, or booking on another airline.

*Sorry, but there is too many Golds to include them in the exceptional bucket rule.
Excellent proposal!
ffay005 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), SK Gold (*A Gold), airBaltic VIP, Hilton Gold, PP
Originally Posted by intuition
Oh, absolutely. No axing of waitlist!
I agree, but the problem is different. Previously the waitlists used to be an exception, i.e. if there was truly no available seat in J, you were put on a waitlist. I am fully OK with that!

Today, waitlists have become the norm. Even if the entire J cabin is empty, you are put on a waitlist. Just today I booked CPH-HEL-CPH for June/July. Both flights show an empty J cabin, yet I was put on the waitlist. And you can never be sure, whether the upgrade will be cleared or not. This is the problem.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:20 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by on22cz
... they could just set a rule that any time I is available, Lumo/Plat can still upgrade (they would open up F seat). This would be TK/A3 style.
I think they already have the tech for this kind of logic (only release F if I exists)
Because it sound very similar to the "Dual Inventory Fares" within the AJB, where upgrade fares from econ to econ plus only exists based on certain inventory. DIF is even more complex as it require a combination of fares in the different cabins:
These fares are available from USA to the United Kingdom, Spain and Finland.
The fares in the [economy extra] cabin apply when T is available and the corresponding class in M cabin is available. For example, the N trade up fare to T, only applies when N and T are available. When N is no longer available, the S trade up fare applies and so on.

Originally Posted by Justinus
I agree, but the problem is different.
Today, waitlists have become the norm.
[b]This is the problem.
We agree 100%.
(My reply got out of sequence, but if you check my earlier post you'll see I used too many words to say exactly what you said :-)
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Sadly, I foresee the upcoming PE will make this whole thread moot..
Ed Size and Purjelentaja like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:42 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
I just upgraded NGO return with the AY App so it is not true everything goes to waitlist. Just one data point but anyway..
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by remymartin
Yes
Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:58 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by remymartin
I don't really know about that. It would be very easy to keep the current system by requiring 25k for a one-class upgrade and simultaneously allow two-class upgrades, so 50k for Y to J.

Similarly, the vouchers could be converted into credits, where 1 credit = Euro Y -> J, 2 credits = one-class longhaul and 4 credits = two-class longhaul.

Let's hope AY reads this!
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I just upgraded NGO return with the AY App so it is not true everything goes to waitlist. Just one data point but anyway..
Yes, I saw NGO and KIX availably also around my dates online, and even NRT-HEL, so yes, it's not totally dead. But the tendency is clear - intended or not.
NoWindowSeat likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.