Finnair, stop waitlisted upgrades!

Reply

Old Feb 27, 19, 4:07 am
  #196  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Germany, Bavaria
Programs: AY+ Gold, IB Gold
Posts: 63
As I wrote, I had a waitlisted upgrade for 2 pax on HEL-FRA on a sunday evening - heavy flight always.
On T-7 and T-1, me still being wailisted, there were 4 resp. 3 seats in Business available.
During CI I asked the agent to upgrade me with the chosen vouchers, which worked out simply fine

She explained later, they are keeping these remaining seats (and where is this threshold at) for late incoming/connecting higher tiers, and latest upgrade possibility for a low gold like me would be at boarding gate.

My bottom line here is: Always ask for your upgrade proactively!

Caro
Carotthat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 19, 8:50 am
  #197  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: HEL
Programs: AY Gold, but ask me again in May :), AA, BA, SK, DL, NT + hotels
Posts: 3,225
So, this Gold is currently waitlisting upgrades for HEL-SIN and SIN-HEL. My guess is they won't clear until I reach Plat again, but we'll see. Plat in early May, SIN in mid-June.

By the way, I was not allowed to choose Y+ seats without paying for them right away. I'll have to wait until Plat to assign myself Y+ seats.
Carotthat likes this.
ffay005 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 19, 9:06 am
  #198  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Helsinki-Vantaa APT, Finland
Programs: AY Plus, Norwegian Reward
Posts: 3,141
Originally Posted by ffay005 View Post
By the way, I was not allowed to choose Y+ seats without paying for them right away. I'll have to wait until Plat to assign myself Y+ seats.
Exits. Better than Y comfort.
Ed Size likes this.
OH-LGG is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 19, 9:08 am
  #199  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Germany, Bavaria
Programs: AY+ Gold, IB Gold
Posts: 63
Originally Posted by ffay005 View Post
So, this Gold is currently waitlisting upgrades for HEL-SIN and SIN-HEL. My guess is they won't clear until I reach Plat again, but we'll see. Plat in early May, SIN in mid-June.

By the way, I was not allowed to choose Y+ seats without paying for them right away. I'll have to wait until Plat to assign myself Y+ seats.
And you'd have to pay for the booze
Carotthat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 19, 4:04 am
  #200  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Over Russia airspace
Posts: 385
Originally Posted by ffay005 View Post
So, this Gold is currently waitlisting upgrades for HEL-SIN and SIN-HEL. My guess is they won't clear until I reach Plat again, but we'll see. Plat in early May, SIN in mid-June.
I have never managed upgrade SIN flight, in either direction. Apparently some silly people actually pay money for it
reflektia is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 19, 4:11 am
  #201  
Ambassador: Finnair
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: HEL
Programs: AY Plat, BA Silver, HHonors/Carlson Gold
Posts: 3,282
Originally Posted by reflektia View Post
I have never managed upgrade SIN flight, in either direction. Apparently some silly people actually pay money for it
And in your view airlines only offer J cabin to be able to grant upgrades...?
NoWindowSeat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 19, 4:52 am
  #202  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: HEL
Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), BW Diamond
Posts: 316
Originally Posted by Post Scriptum View Post
Sigh, I can add datapoint of call to CS not releasing the upgrade. In total 9 J seats are taken, no availability in the tool (I still assume that all those 9 J-seats are F-fare) but "the other department" can not release the upgrade, so assuming it will stay in the waitlist at least until the T-15?
Or has anyone observed any other patterns, I called CS on Monday so has anyone got better luck of making more frequent calls? I doubt it is worthwhile to call often but clearly the waitlist is truly a waitlist even if the business class is practically empty.
I would assume there would be a sale coming soon but at this stage, only business saver and business seats are available so no campaign fare for business.
Called CS today, little less than 2 months before departure, after pushing it for checking (sounded like CS was quite familiar to doing it, maybe sighed a bit, in a good way from my view) upgrade cleared in 1-2 hour or so now Im okay with waitlisting
Actually 13/13 for upgrades with points and vouchers now, incl one HEL-SIN.
ffay005 and Steve_Hun like this.
Post Scriptum is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 19, 5:41 am
  #203  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: MMX (CPH)
Programs: AY+ Platinum, A3*G, 1865 Voyager, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD
Posts: 9,915
Originally Posted by reflektia View Post
I have never managed upgrade SIN flight, in either direction. Apparently some silly people actually pay money for it
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat View Post


And in your view airlines only offer J cabin to be able to grant upgrades...?
Perhaps OP referring to people paying for upgrades?

That is today's reality, loyalty upgrades are not first in line. They prefer getting ancillary revenue over clearing the liabilities from vouchers/points off of balance sheet.
Purjelentaja likes this.
intuition is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 19, 8:28 am
  #204  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Over Russia airspace
Posts: 385
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat View Post


And in your view airlines only offer J cabin to be able to grant upgrades...?
sorry, forgot /sarcasm -tag
reflektia is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 19, 3:52 pm
  #205  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: HEL
Posts: 4
Originally Posted by reflektia View Post
I have never managed upgrade SIN flight, in either direction. Apparently some silly people actually pay money for it
First post to the forum, whii...

I got one direction (HEL-SIN) cleared using vouchers within hours, but the SIN-HEL upgrade with points is still waitlisted. Last time I had the same approach and both legs were cleared, HEL-SIN (with vouchers again) within hours and SIN-HEL (with points) one hour after calling CS and asking about it (had been in the waitlist for three weeks or so). Pure luck I guess...
NoWindowSeat and SPBanker like this.
ConTraFly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 19, 6:20 am
  #206  
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: HEL
Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Posts: 3,392
Originally Posted by ConTraFly View Post
First post to the forum, whii...

I got one direction (HEL-SIN) cleared using vouchers within hours, but the SIN-HEL upgrade with points is still waitlisted. Last time I had the same approach and both legs were cleared, HEL-SIN (with vouchers again) within hours and SIN-HEL (with points) one hour after calling CS and asking about it (had been in the waitlist for three weeks or so). Pure luck I guess...
Congrats on the upgrades and welcome to the FT and AY+ Forum! We are mostly harmless.
SPBanker is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 19, 7:45 am
  #207  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: MMX (CPH)
Programs: AY+ Platinum, A3*G, 1865 Voyager, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD
Posts: 9,915
I was about to suggest we call it Waste-listing but realised the pun was much better spoken than written (the simple misspell waistlist doesn't really convey my message!)
FFlash likes this.
intuition is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 19, 9:42 am
  #208  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: BGO
Programs: EB, AY+
Posts: 115
Originally Posted by intuition View Post
I was about to suggest we call it Waste-listing but realised the pun was much better spoken than written (the simple misspell waistlist doesn't really convey my message!)
That is, until you tighten the waist in order to afford revenue J because upgrades never clear
Superrman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 19, 10:02 am
  #209  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: HEL
Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), BW Diamond
Posts: 316
Originally Posted by Superrman View Post
That is, until you tighten the waist in order to afford revenue J because upgrades never clear
In simplicity, revenue managements policy and internal instructions to govern upgrade space is called waistline.

Very often we are tempted to ask CSC to reveal what is going on behind the waistline, which can, for some reason, interpreted wrongly...
Superrman likes this.
Post Scriptum is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 19, 2:45 pm
  #210  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: HEL
Programs: Got a K-Plussa black! S-card remains green :D
Posts: 3,927
Originally Posted by intuition View Post
I was about to suggest we call it Waste-listing but realised the pun was much better spoken than written (the simple misspell waistlist doesn't really convey my message!)
Well, I have heard they themselves call the waitlist ”ventti” which is a finnish version of swedish ”vänta”=wait, but ironically that ”ventti” also refers to playing cards. I had a wide grin and smile when I heard first time that
FFlash is online now  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread