Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Current and historical promotions

This is a thread for reporting details of promotions in the Finnair+ program.

The purpose of the wiki is to keep a repository of current and historical promotions. This works best if all details are given in a post of the thread. Once such a post is made, edit the wiki and add a short description of promo in headline-style, with a link to the post that holds the detailed information. (You can create such a link by right-clicking the post-number and copy link location).
Do not link to the promo itself from the Wiki, as the promo page is likely to disappear once the promo ended and such link will die, leaving the wiki sans historical info.

2018 and earlier promotions can be found here.
Print Wikipost

2019 Promotions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2019, 3:24 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
The last few posts kind of summarizes how spoilt the tier member in Y is :-)
Not even at promotional prices are upgrades to J of interest!

Maybe Finnair should go one-class again and be done with the worthless J class already!
Old Jan 4, 2019, 3:35 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
Originally Posted by intuition

Maybe Finnair should go one-class again and be done with the worthless J class already!
Yup that's because there is a way better alternative to spend the points on, at least for me there is :-) And honestly, 7K or 10K points.... potato potato.
I fly mainly SH in economy light tickets, so very little points for me. They're quite precious.

Last edited by EuroFlash; Jan 4, 2019 at 3:59 am
Old Jan 4, 2019, 4:19 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK

Unlike on this Oneclass is so boring!
Old Jan 4, 2019, 4:54 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo+LTG, FI Gold, DL Silver, BA, SK, AX Plat, Priority Pass, Marriott Ambassador & others

This goes back to what the additional benefits against the points / vouchers / money gives the tier member. If upgrades for money would give tier points according to J class, their attractiveness would be much higher in my eyes. OTOH if the upgrade is from an exit row seat to normal row in J in a narrow body aircraft, the added value is not much beyond the meal.

I traveled recently onboard a BA 747 in club world. This was on AY code. At check in I was offered an upgrade to F for around 600 euros. I had a hard time justifying why I should give up my upper deck window seat for a better meal, with no guarantee that AY would credit the points according to F (or even AY J in worst case - messing up with the ticket could maybe have changed the earnings to BA J). We’ll, no pajamas this time.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:06 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Trav1970
This goes back to what the additional benefits against the points / vouchers / money gives the tier member.
Oh, I agree. And it shows in the thread about "more reasonable price for SH J" too.

There is virtually nothing to be had in J that the tier member doesn't already have in Y. As you say, the paid J earns more points but that is about it.
The thing is, even if they offered the upgrades for 50 points, I wonder if people are going to think it is worths the hustle. You give up exit row for a meal - who will waste points on that?

Regarding the earnings: I don't think the points-according-to-original-class thing is dicisive. I think it is about Y is too good and J is not good enough:
a) tier member already have "everything" in Y
and
b) SH J in itself is nothing extra.

So for the upgrades to be more valuable you'd have to do a little of both, say:
a) remove free drink and free seat selection for tier member i Y
b) go with proper 2+2 J

If such changes were to happen, I bet the upgrades would instantaneously become more valuable!

I know no one thinks 2+2 J will ever exist in Europe, but it is not that uncommon in other parts of the world.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:14 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo+LTG, FI Gold, DL Silver, BA, SK, AX Plat, Priority Pass, Marriott Ambassador & others
Oh, I agree. And it shows in the thread about "more reasonable price for SH J" too.

There is virtually nothing to be had in J that the tier member doesn't already have in Y. As you say, the paid J earns more points but that is about it.
The thing is, even if they offered the upgrades for 50 points, I wonder if people are going to think it is worths the hustle. You give up exit row for a meal - who will waste points on that?

Regarding the earnings: I don't think the points-according-to-original-class thing is dicisive. I think it is about Y is too good and J is not good enough:
a) tier member already have "everything" in Y
and
b) SH J in itself is nothing extra.

So for the upgrades to be more valuable you'd have to do a little of both, say:
a) remove free drink and free seat selection for tier member i Y
b) go with proper 2+2 J

If such changes were to happen, I bet the upgrades would instantaneously become more valuable!

I know no one thinks 2+2 J will ever exist in Europe, but it is not that uncommon in other parts of the world.
Interesting ideas. So basically:

a) Make the standard product more inferior, to increase the attractiveness of the J upgrade. I am sure this would drive away quite a few tier members.
b) Invest in the J offering to actually make it better.

I wonder which would make better business sense.

BTW - Years back I remember flying one of the Baltic carriers (Lithuanian air?) which was operated on what apparently was a second-hand US domestic aircraft. They did have the proper 2+2 seating in J.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:39 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I do value the empty middle seat in J, especially on longer flights. But I also value the legroom in exit row, and more so than the empty middle.

AY used to have more pitch in the front rows of the A320 family, but I guess that was lost a long time ago.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
I think my personal threshold would be somewhere along 5k points for SH upgrade (excluding N. Europe), where I would start constantly taking up the offer. Here are some of the smaller things I value in SH J:

- Meal (these have improved so much that they beat most of the outstation lounge offerings)
- More private toilet at the front (also closer by)
- Guaranteed empty middle seat
- A little extra legroom at row 1 (consequently, if row 1 was not available, I wouldn't probably upgrade)

Proper 2-2 SH business class to me seems to be the standard everywhere else except Europe. Would be interesting to see the analysis on how much 8 proper seats up front would hurt or benefit the airline.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by SuloL
- More private toilet at the front (also closer by).
In economy class someone with You in toilet?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
In economy class someone with You in toilet?
I heard that's a first class perk
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:02 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by Trav1970
Interesting ideas. So basically:

a) Make the standard product more inferior, to increase the attractiveness of the J upgrade. I am sure this would drive away quite a few tier members.
b) Invest in the J offering to actually make it better.

I wonder which would make better business sense.
I meant tier members will not ever feel SH J is worth it (via upgrade or as revenue), unless something more radically changes. Besides, what is in a) case is not "the standard product". It is the standard product plus almost everything from the premium product for free. Removing some of the free stuff will still result in something better than the standard product.

I do think tier member benefits will be reduced over the coming years, yes.
And yes, it is a decent business case.

Revenue from tickets is under pressure. They have a goal to increase "ancillary revenue". They simply cannot afford to exclude their most frequent customers from the buyer circle.

Will hordes of tier members really leave AY if they can't choose seat or get free drink? They will moan about it, but I find it very unlikely they are in a position to change travel pattern on a scale that matters to AY. Company policy, enterprise contracts, limited competition on route etc. limits the choice for many of the frequent travellers.

Compare BA - no seat selection and no bags on light ticket for tier members. Was there a lot of moaning? Yes. Did BA go bust over all the valuable tier members leaving? No.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, LX SEN, Marriott Titanium
AY has improved their SH J so much in the last years that I hope they will keep at it. Especially when my usual SH J flights with AY are in the 2.5-3 hours range. It is definitely worth 10k to upgrade from Y, just for the (lately excellent quality!) meal and a few drinks. Empty seat is nice because of the extra space for my laptop, book, drinks... I'd hate to see them downgrade it to economy plus. It would definitely make me reconsider AY for other alternatives for SH.

I always try to get the SH upgrade, I absolutely see no reason not to. Flying in Y is so iffy in comparison. And it seems like a lot of people here have long legs, in fact I hate the exit row and avoid it, because I can't place my bags under the front seats. One of the advantages of being a small guy
Old Jan 4, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Turkish Airlines from IST? Anyways, I would be happy with 2+3 seating.

Originally Posted by ffay005
I do value the empty middle seat in J, especially on longer flights. But I also value the legroom in exit row, and more so than the empty middle.

AY used to have more pitch in the front rows of the A320 family, but I guess that was lost a long time ago.
Don't they still have that on the A321 or is it my imagination?

And for us almost prohibition era business flyers, a free flow of drinks in nice glasses is certainly appreciated!
Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:28 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
I dont care about short haul J food or drinks but shared armrest is something I hate in Economy.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:10 am
Moderator, Finnair

They hate it more in other parts of the world. A320 shorthaul could be like this:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.