China Southern and AY codeshares

Old Dec 22, 2018, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

China Southern and AY codeshares

There is a thread in a.net stating that AY and CZ would start codeshare flights from CAN to Chinese destinations and to Australia and New Zealand and from HEL to European destinations. Probably also btw HEL and CAN route flown by both companies. I find it strange that AY has not made a press release even though the sign up should have been Done on the 19th of December. I wonder if there is any truth in the news or if they are waiting for governement approval. The poster in a.net had found this piece of information from Weibu. The post quoted up to 15-16 routes from each hub.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 3:18 pm

I wonder if something will happen with CA's codeshares on AY's HEL-PEK flights, if AY starts codesharing with CA's competitor.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Wikipedia lists PEK as one of the two hubs of CZ. PVG and Chongqing are secondary hubs and Xian, Bangkok and Seoul are among the many focus cities. There could be
much more potential than the initial 8 domestic routes.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Inb4 AY/BA/CZ/IB cartel fares between Europe and China.
intuition and cistavoda like this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 5:30 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
It has been rmored off and on over some time. Pekka (previois CEO) was for example seen with CZ CEO in GZ a few years ago.

Now with CZ leaving scary team it seem more plausible. But CX is a much bigger questionmark than CA.

PEK makes sense for some routes but it is in no way comparable with CAN (which we all know isnt served daily/year round by AY.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:36 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
China is such an important and huge market for AY. Surely they do better there independently, without a cartel? BA is a minor player on the Chinese market.

Very different from Japan or the USA.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:46 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by ffay005
China is such an important and huge market for AY. Surely they do better there independently, without a cartel? BA is a minor player on the Chinese market.

Very different from Japan or the USA.
AY was the dominant player in Japan before yielding to BA.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:26 am
Moderator, Finnair

QR just announced they have bought 5% of CZ. The plot thickens...

Apparently a unilateral move, shares purchased on the open market over some time.

Last edited by intuition; Jan 2, 2019 at 8:36 am
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by nordic
I find it strange that AY has not made a press release even though the sign up should have been Done on the 19th of December. I wonder if there is any truth in the news or if they are waiting for governement approval.
CZ has posted a press release.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:03 pm
Moderator, Finnair

By that text, it is not a done deal but a MOU.
Aiming to start codeshares from 22 APR, giving CZ 15 intra-EU and AY 8 domestic CN plus AU and NZ.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:25 pm
Moderator, Finnair

BTW, it could just be google translate, but the text seems to mention CAN and NKG as possible codeshare destinations.
As CAN is the main hub, I think that just means HEL-CAN by CZ, either to make it a daily in combination with current AY or to entirely replace AY on the route.
The mention of NKG is more odd - does it mean AY is going to drop it again just a year after opening?

Someone with better ability than me to read the text might want to take a look.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:39 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
English version is different:

China Southern Establishes Codeshare Agreement with Finnair

I cant find any sign of terminating AY HEL-NKG.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:50 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Different Indeed. That version also clears up 8 domestic plus 8 AU/NZ question.

Well I guess AY flyers can look forward to a lot of A330 with oldJ in the years to come!
Old Jan 3, 2019, 3:18 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Since AY has obviously struggled with CAN, it would make sense for CZ to take over the route, operating an AYesque schedule. AY would feed the flights from Europe and CZ would feed them from China. I'd be surprised if we didn't see something like that soon.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 3:27 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by ffay005
Since AY has obviously struggled with CAN, it would make sense for CZ to take over the route, operating an AYesque schedule. AY would feed the flights from Europe and CZ would feed them from China. I'd be surprised if we didn't see something like that soon.

Struggled wit CAN? What do you mean?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.